SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Age a factor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by EternalSnake, May 23, 1999.

1. EternalSnake

EternalSnake New Member

May 23, 1999
    Hello all,

I'm new to this list, so please forgive me if this subject has already been covered. (If it has please just point me in the right direction and I'll find it.)

I will be 27 to 30 years old by the time I am applying to medical school. While I feel that I will have a lot more experience than your typical, young pre-med student, I am afraid my age my be a disadvantage in the selection process.

Are there any older-aged students in any of your classes?

EternalSnake

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dcdo

dcdo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 1999
    I wouldn't worry if I were you, at least for D.O. schools. I'm 32 and just finished my first year, and there about 5-6 people in my class who are older than I am. If your extra years provided you with valuable life experience(I'm sure it did), then it can be a plus!

4. Gregory Gulick

Gregory Gulick Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 9, 1998
    Largo, Florida (USA)
    Absolutely go for it, ES. You will find that osteopathic medicine is incredibly open towards older students. I've talked with about 16 of my future NSUCOM classmates, and most of us are 25 or older and at least five of us have master's degrees. From what I've gathered, most of us have ended up in medicine via a very nontraditional route -- myself included.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me a [email protected] .

Best wishes,

[​IMG]

5. Henry

Henry Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 30, 1998
    Go for it man. Your age should not be the issue.
    Just prove it to the admission folks that you can do anything in medicine as the youngster can, or even better.

Tell them that you are very good in handling stress and can deal with heavy workload.
    Let them know that your maturity can be a contribution to others.
    Let them know you are a good leader and willing to help others.
    Let them know that you are compassinate because of your life experience.
    Let them know that your are well aware of weak point and your strength.
    OK. JUST LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE A STRONG CANDIDATE.

Good luck.

6. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 6, 1999
    Saco,ME
    I'm sure others don't want to hear a rehash of my story, but short and to the point: I'm 32 and will begin school at UNECOM this August. I also am married with three kids. So, like the others have said: Work hard on selling yourself; know your strengths (and weaknesses) and be confident in your ability to succeed.

Good luck to you!!!

Renee

7. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 1999
    Hmmmmmm, 27-30, that is a pretty wide range, LOL. I agree with all everyone has been saying, that is, no problem with the DO route. As the MD route goes, you better try to make it by 27, instead of 30, as your chances for consideration decrease as you get older (my pre-med advisor used to tell me that the unspoken glass ceiling at MD schools was about 32 years of age. You will obviously always find someone who was accepted at 34 or so, but there are probably only a few dozens of those out of thousands from the "younger crowd").

Gregory, 25 or thereabouts is definitely not an "older med student". I think of older med students as passed the "magic 30" but, perhaps, I am being partial...

8. JenM

JenM Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 15, 1999
    Denver, CO
    Just wanted to let you know the MD route is NOT closed to you because of your age - I started at 28. The average age of my class was over 26. That's average - my class age ranged from 20 to 45!! There are a LOT of people over 30.

So, don't worry about your age, and don't let it influence where you apply - apply to any school you would like to attend.

Good luck!

Jen