Age and/or medical requirements for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmass233

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interesting in applying for one of the HPSP scholarships next year, but have a few questions regarding the age/physical/medical requirements. I will be 29 when I start dental school, so will I need a waiver in order to apply for the scholarship? The only medical issues right now that I have are hypothyroidism--controlled by medication, and ankle surgery last fall, which required a cartilage implant and a metal brace. I am now fully recovered from the surgery, but I wasn't sure if it would be an issue in the application process.
Also, how early in the process can I apply for the scholarship? I was planning on contacting a recruiter in August or early September to start the application process for 2011.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go ahead and contact the recruiter now man... If you're fully functional (as far as physical ability) I would think you should be good to go...but they'll test you on all of that during your initial military physical (MEPS). You also have to pass a height to weight ratio..which they are not lenient on in the least. I'm 71 and a half inches tall and I wasn't allowed to weigh over 191...if you're over in weight then they'll do a body fat measurement on you... but, like I said, definitely start talking to the recruiter now...It's a very long process and as long as you don't sign the contract..you're not committed...so you don't have to worry about committing by just talking to recruiters. You can go ahead and start your application for the scholarship, but they wouldn't award anything to you until at least the next fiscal year starts.

hope this helps

I'm interesting in applying for one of the HPSP scholarships next year, but have a few questions regarding the age/physical/medical requirements. I will be 29 when I start dental school, so will I need a waiver in order to apply for the scholarship? The only medical issues right now that I have are hypothyroidism--controlled by medication, and ankle surgery last fall, which required a cartilage implant and a metal brace. I am now fully recovered from the surgery, but I wasn't sure if it would be an issue in the application process.
Also, how early in the process can I apply for the scholarship? I was planning on contacting a recruiter in August or early September to start the application process for 2011.
Thanks!

The age isn't a problem - won't need a waiver for that (in the Army). As far as the other things, it will depend on the doctor doing the exam. Plan on providing documentation from the orthopod - they will probably request that and/or have you see one of their own as well.

August/September is the perfect time to begin the process.