age groups............

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tylerpalais

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Heard that lots of us enter DOs school at later stage of life ( and after other proffession ).
I just wonder what the age groups may be ?

I am 40 now , apply to school next year, little late ???
(if I want to go ROAD specialties )

Thanks for your info.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting DO school at 43, one of the mods for this forum started MD school at 45, and there's another of us starting at 50 this fall. Also see the story on UNE.edu about their 53 year old matriculant.

ROAD specialties won't bar you for age; they'll bar you for not beating your competition in board scores, grades, evaluations, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Hello,
I am 22 years old now and I am going the DO route. I think its great that you are getting in to medicine. I think students of different age groups (and backgrounds) make the class even more diverse and, hence, more interesting. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Im 26 and going to WVSOM this fall.

27 (almost 28) and off to PCOM :hardy:

I think the oldest person in my class (UNECOM '05) was 53 as well. I was 28 entering med school and there were a good few thirty to fourty-ish people amongst the twenty-somethings.

I'll be 28 soon after I start this fall.

I'll be 41 by the time next Fall rolls around. Regarding ROAD chances, I don't know if age works against us or not, all else being equal (Step I, etc). Best of luck to you.

I'm about to turn 30...

I'm about to turn 24 later this year, but I look Brett Favre old.

Out of a class of 107, we had one student in their 50's, 5 in their 40's, maybe 10 in their 30's, the rest were split between straight out of college and mid-to late 20's. Regardless of age we all considered ourselves equals. I get the sense that MD schools tend to have a larger number of students straight out of college (although the average age is about 24-26 for them) whereas DO schools tend to have little more of a spread. So go for it if it's your dream!

Greatly appreciated your inputs.
Feel sooooooo much better to know that I'm not alone.

For those already in, Congrat...!!! :)

and for those in the same boat with me, keep it up, buddies, we can do this !!!

Thanks again, guys. :love:

Im 42. We had a number of people in their late 40s in my class a even a number of grandmothers. The oldest in our class was in her early 50s when she started. Age is in your mind and you are as young as you feel. People have thought I am in my late 30s numerous times