1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Age of dental school applicants.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Ronny, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Ronny

Ronny Member

I will be 26 when applying to dental schools down the road and would start at 27 if admitted. Would being an older student hurt my chances when competing against all the 22 year olds? Just curious.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nycdoc

nycdoc Senior Member

nope. I'm starting d-school at 25.
    It'll help you during interviews.....I was asked about my job experiences after college and treated like an adult for the most part.
    an older student=more mature=likely to do well.

4. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member

I am currently 27 and, if admitted for the entering class of 2003, will be 28 when I start dental school. I think that maturity and life experience gives us an added advantage in managing some of the stress posed by dental school. When you've been totally financially independent of your parents and have had the responsibility of supporting yourself, and in some cases, a family, you tend to be better organized and adept at handling change.

5. RSXer

RSXer :) UoMBCDSCo07 :)

...and applying for class of 2003. I don't think its a disadvantage at all for applying to dental school:
    1) more experience (assuming you used your time well after undergrad)
    2) more maturity
    3) will be taken more seriously since you are willing to make a career change after so many years

The disadvantage comes when you are already IN dental school. If accepted, I'm sure I'm gonna have to study a little bit more than fresh undergrad'ers:
    1) been a few years since I took hardcore science
    2) after working full-time, you have to relearn your study techniques
    3) all-niters. I'm an old man. I sleep at 11 at night ;) :D

6. vixen

vixen I like members

RSXer, what kind of work did you do before applying to dental school?

7. RSXer

Check my sig.

dental assisting 6 months
    epidemiologist 1.5 years - current work

I also did medical assisting for a year, although that may actually hurt me in my application. After undergrad I had to do some career exploration before arriving at dentistry as my career goal :cool:

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Being older can be a huge benefit, especially if it is coupled with lots of work/life experience.

Here at BYU, the average age of applicants is nearly 25, and it poses no problems with admissions/matriculation. If anything, it's viewed as a plus by adcoms.

9. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

RSXer,
    Don't worry. The only reason the young have to do all nighters is because they waste so many nights exorcising the party demons out of their lives.

10. RSXer

lol....

word. I shouldn't worry about that. I mean, I shouldn't even have to DO all-nighters.....assuming I don't procrastinate :rolleyes: :D :D

11. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Hey quit picking on the young people!!
    The average age of a dental school applicant is 24. It certainly doesn't hurt you if you are old, as long as your desire and passion and enthusiasm is the same as us youngin's

Good luck everyone. I can't wait to hear stories of the "good 'ol days" from my peers.

DesiDentist

12. Ronny

Ronny Member

Thanks. I'm very glad to hear this. :)

13. sjdent

sjdent Senior Member

I totally agree with you guys. Being older is a definite advantage. Where I'm going this fall, their stats always show the average to be 24-25. These schools LIKE older applicants. (I'm 22, by the way)