AGE of Predents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asperden

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how old are the typical predental students?

Are there students who have had a professional career and decided to go into dentistry, or are most predental students 1/2nd year college students?

I'm just trying to get some demographics in this field...

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

asperden said:

Are there students who have had a professional career and decided to go into dentistry, or are most predental students 1/2nd year college students?

thanks

How old are YOU? If you are younger than mid thirty..... there is no reason to
worry about your age....

I'll be 27 next month. Used to teach high school science. I have been back to school recently for prereqs...some schools require (or prefer) classses within 5 years of application.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's people from all ages/walks of life. A lot of people are applying after college, like 21-22. There's a lot of people who are getting masters degrees so 24ish. But there are still a good amount of people who decide to go back after having their own careers.

I've seen some people as old as 40 going back. As long as your prerequisites are up to date, age is nothing but a number. :)

beannaithe said:
There's people from all ages/walks of life. A lot of people are applying after college, like 21-22. There's a lot of people who are getting masters degrees so 24ish. But there are still a good amount of people who decide to go back after having their own careers.

I've seen some people as old as 40 going back. As long as your prerequisites are up to date, age is nothing but a number. :)

Ditto, 32 here and ready for D-School!

asperden said:

thanks

if your serious then why not contact the schools.

there were something like 22000 people that applied last year and i can assure you the amount of people that were on SDN was very small.

this site is nonrepresentative of these sorts of facts.

call the schools if you really care.

asperden said:

thanks

26 going on 27 in October. Just finishing up Biochem BS degree didn't start college until three years ago. Applying 07 cycle.

21.1 :D

But just like others said, there are people applying after they got their MS or Phd, or going back to school many years after, as long as u have the stats, I dont think age is a problem.

asperden said:

thanks

Im 19 (taking DAT Sep. 8), applying for the 2008 cycle. :thumbup:

asperden said:

thanks

33 Here. Got a M.S. in 2000 in traditional Chinese Medicine. I have been practicing that since then full time. Ready for dental school....

I have seen 2 friends, aging 38 and 40 by the they got into dental school. :eek:

theres a guy in my class whos close to 60.

Members don't see this ad :)
polarnut said:
theres a guy in my class whos close to 60.

whoa, and guess maturity and upscale motivation count a lot on him. :cool:

just turned 22, i feel so old....

I just turned 26. I graduated college in 2001 and have been working for 5 years as an IT professional. I'll start dental school in 11 months hopefully.

I'm 27yo woman, soon to be 28 in 2 months.
I have a BS/MS in environmental/civil engineering with cumGPA 3.57/3.58, respectively.
I've been working as a licensed engineer for few years, and I'm tired of looking at a computer screen for 8-10hrs/day.
I want to work with clients 1/1, work with my hands, and have my own practice or be an associate.
I was just reluctant b/c I'm getting older, I'm currently taking night classes, and maybe it's the asian-ness in me that is thinking of age/marriage/children, etc... and i'll be 30 when i do get admitted to dental school...omg
Stats show that the average age dental students are 22yo...and i do feel insecure about my age and making a major career change, and not being able to have professional contacts b/c of ageism.

Similar to asperden. I am 32. Going for the 2008 cycle. Engineer is my previous career. Dont worry about age.

EngDentist said:
Similar to asperden. I am 32. Going for the 2008 cycle. Engineer is my previous career. Dont worry about age.

Big ol' 33 here. I have 2 years to go while taking pre-reqs. Taught HS for 10 years...dentistry should be quite easy after that!!!!! :)

Scott

dont worry, majority of people will be between 20-25. thank god there arent that many people older than that! :smuggrin:

polarnut said:
dont worry, majority of people will be between 20-25. thank god there arent that many people older than that! :smuggrin:

ouch.... ;)

just outta curiosity... was this question really just to make a demographic or are you trying to check out the potential dating scene?? lol

EngDentist said:

You're fine, I'm 32 and going for 2007 cycle. Age for the most part doesn't matter.

24 ... starting D-school this fall....
Worked as an assistant scientist at a pharmaceutical company for a year.

Hopin' said:
24 ... starting D-school this fall....
Worked as an assistant scientist at a pharmaceutical company for a year.

Im 25, just finishing up my masters and hopefully d-school next year, otherwise Ill get my PhD then go to dental school. I also worked at a pharmaceutical company as a chemist.

Turning 21 in a little over a month :)
Hopefully beginning dental school next fall!

I just turned 24 and am shooting to get in for fall 2007. I am LDS and served a two year mission for the church. You will notice that the majority of LDS people shooting for dental school are in the 23-26 age range.

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread but there is a publication by the ADEA that has average ages of all the schools. Can anyone provide the link for the op?

24, never could figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up and now I'm grew up. Nothing made me want to change until I was embarassed on my own birthday. 24, no bachelor's degree, had dropped alot of classes, now it's time to really start climbing that hill. It's a big one, but i'm wearing comfortable boots

asperden said:
I have a BS/MS in environmental/civil engineering with cumGPA 3.57/3.58, respectively.
I've been working as a licensed engineer for few years, and I'm tired of looking at a computer screen for 8-10hrs/day.
I want to work with clients 1/1, work with my hands, and have my own practice or be an associate.
I was just reluctant b/c I'm getting older, I'm currently taking night classes, and maybe it's the asian-ness in me that is thinking of age/marriage/children, etc... and i'll be 30 when i do get admitted to dental school...omg
Stats show that the average age dental students are 22yo...and i do feel insecure about my age and making a major career change, and not being able to have professional contacts b/c of ageism.
I went through the age/children thing, too. It's a tough decision to make, but I decided it was worth it. As far as professional contacts go, I look young, therefore I'm treated like I'm young (as much as that can stink...especially as a professional) so I don't think anyone will feel distanced because I'm technically "older". Gosh, I just hope I look old enough to be a dentist when I'm 30!

scottyhoop said:
Big ol' 33 here. I have 2 years to go while taking pre-reqs. Taught HS for 10 years...dentistry should be quite easy after that!!!!! :)

Scott

Scotyhoop,

I'm 34 and I'll be finished my pre-reqs next summer. I'll have that lag year and hopefully enter D-school in 2008. I've been a public school music teacher for about 8 years, so by the time I graduate, I'll be almost 40. :laugh:

To the older students, I am still somewhat younger as stated (24) I would be more than happy to have students 30+ in my entering class. You can usually count on older students to have a level of maturity that hasn't quite been found by the younger students. Of course, this doesn't really apply to the students on SDN :) because most on here have fantastic grades and have discipline.

Not to mention, when I normally form study groups it's almost always with the "older" students because we actually get things done as opposed to just making jokes.

asperden said:

Don't put yourself down. Remember, being a woman does not mean you are destined to live a careerless life. I definately respect stay at home moms, don't get me wrong. My point is, if you have a dream - GO FOR IT!!!

I understand your concerns because I had similar ones too, but decided to press forward in spite of my fears. I think if you work hard towards something good, all the other peices in your life will eventually fall into place (as long as you surround yourself with good earnest people).

I too studied engineering, one of four girls in my undergrad! I worked as a mechanical engineer for a year or so, and now at 27 I just finished my pre-reqs and submitted my application. I got married this January to a man I met after graduation. Key - MARRY SOMEONE SUPPORTIVE! Stay away from chauvenists who discourage your dreams in favor of having you stay home all day with the children. My husband and I have a 50-50 attitude about everything! Yet he always assures me that if I ever decide to be a stay at home mom, he'll be more than happy to financially support our fam-to-be.

And guess what - I just took the DAT while pregnant! So YOU CAN DO IT!

Hey there!!

I just had my 30th B-day. I am feeling like an old man. My grandpa however is 84 and continues to practice...I am hoping I have many years of being a dentist ahead of me. :cool: