Age of students in Irish Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tentcamp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those midlife career-changing nontraditional students. I'm applying to US Med Schools for next fall but think I might appreciate studying in Ireland after reading all the posts in this forum. Atlantic Bridge said my age (42) would be no bar to acceptance by Irish schools. Those of you at Irish schools currently, are there any "old" people like me in your classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there ... in this year's class at TCD, most of us are around 22-24, there are a couple around 27-28 entering directly into 2nd year. However, in the past (there's a 5th year) there've been people significantly older, like late 30's early 40's, and they seem to have done just fine and made good friends. So to you I'd say, no worries :).

Thanks Leorl. By the way, I appreciate your copious postings on this forum. You enlighten us all with your information about the Irish scene.

Members don't see this ad :)
RCSI doesnt mind any age, as long as they get their money.

I recently spoke with someone in addmissions at RCSI regarding age and was told the limit is normally 35 but that you could apply all the same.

There were about 4 students in a class of 187 that were in 30s on admission.

Socially, the older students have no problems. Noone cares about age, people get on well.

For academics though, there is alot of memorization, and other seemingly useless studying to be done in the first few years, and the older guys have been away from the stuff for longer, so often are less interested in it, and find it more of a struggle to put in the time. (Plus I think it is the wisdom, by that stage in life they can see that it pretty useless information for the long run).

Best wishes,
roo

Thank you all for your responses.

On the other hand, the older ones who had a background in science (maybe they've been working as a senior researcher or something and received master's/phD's in a certain field) have no trouble with the studying...they already know how to study efficiently, as well as have had quite a bit of practice with the whole analyzation and lab techniques bit. The older students find themselves well-respected and looked up to in terms of being able to help the younger ones cope with information they're encountering for the first time.

I have two classmates at RCSI who are >40. No age issue there. I would, however, mention that these two individuals are amazing in their abilities to socialize, study, interact etc with the student population. While the average age of the first med (where exempt americans enter) is about 20, the average social age must be about 16.