age range in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is age range like for first-time enrollees(freshmen in medical school)?

I just like to know how student body is like in medical school.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me specific details.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a bunch of other posts on this topic and info at the AAMC website if you're interested.

at my school the average age was 23

Members don't see this ad :)
Age range will vary among schools, but you can be sure that the plurality of first year students will be in the 22-24 range. Some schools, such as MCP Hahnemann, actively court the "non traditional student", particularly those who are considering medicine as a second career; obviously, the mean age at these schools would be slightly higher. I think NYMC, UVM, Albany Med and Case Western also have slightly older applicants.
For what it's worth, I will be 37 when I enter my first year of med school later this summer. What a hoot!

The medical school I will be attending this Fall as an MS1 has an average matriculant age of 24. I am 36. I know of people in their 50's entering medical school.

Our average age was 23, although the youngest was 19 (don't ask!) and the oldest is 40. We have about 25 people over 25 and only 5 people over 30 (I'm one of 'em)

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg122001a.htm" target="_blank">Here</a> is the average age of matriculants overall for the past 10 years.

To sum up matriculating student data:
1. Interquartile range: 22-24
2. Range between 1st and 99th percentiles: 20-36
3. What this tells you about medical school: 0

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mpp:
•<a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg122001a.htm" target="_blank">Here</a> is the average age of matriculants overall for the past 10 years.•••••

my school has students from 18-50. no joke. this school is designed for european students, and they start right out of high school. i am 31, so it is strange to see the youngsters. and i must say, they do terrible for the most part. we have about a 30% fail rate, and everyone that failed was under 21.

Average age for first years at my school was 24. I think the youngest was 21 and the oldest was 45? Most people were single too and now at the end of fourth year it seems like a third of my class is married and maybe over a half have significant others....am I getting old?

Do medschools have an age cutoff?...