This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigi23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that a lot of people go back to PA school as an adult/non traditional student.
I noticed one post mentioned age. How old are the non traditional students or pre students here?
I am a young 43 year old female and doing core classes. I have one more year and am hoping to get accepted my first year. That will make me 45 when I start the program here and 47 when I graduate.
Is there a 'cut off' age that would make your chances of getting in less successful? What about med school? I was just wondering about med school, I have no desire to do anything but be a PA.
gg

Members don't see this ad.

GIGI- although the average pa student is around 30 or so we had a few folks in my program much older. the oldest was 56 at graduation(54 to start). don't let age be a factor in your decision. you can do this.good luck-e

Don't worry, like I said, I'm a very young 43. :)
I just wondered if I would be the oldest student there and wondered what the census was here. I also wondered if age counts against you at any point. I'm doing everything I can to make sure if I'm not accepted the first year that it won't be because of something I didn't do. I would hate to work this hard and then get turned down because of my age.
gg

I honestly don't think age is a factor. Many of the PA programs post their average age and it's usually around 30. Think of it this way, for every 21-yr-old student, there might be a 39-yr-old! PA programs seem to focus on experience and desire to serve typically underserved populations, as well as ability.

Keep this in mind as well; MD students are looking at devoting a minimum of 7 years to their training which would make you about 50 when you finished. PA, on the other hand, is 2-3 years and has you graduating and practicing much sooner! So age is less of a factor for PA's, I would think.

Good luck!
Theresa