This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is age an important aspect taht dental schools look at?

Does anyone think they hold it against you if you are older than the average candidate? And, how old is the average candidate?

Along the similar line... if you are young and married, does anyone know if this matters at all in anything (for dental schools)?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the average matriculant is ~24-25, though this varies from school to school. I heard from several people throughout the interview process that being slightly older and/or married is viewed quite favorably. At the dental school level, professors do NOT want to deal with the issues of people who still think they are adolescents. :)

I hope age is not a big deal. By the time I enroll, I'll be 28, married, and have 3 kids. I hope Adcoms don't think I've got too much to handle already.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ADEA Dental School Guide has the ranges of ages of accepted students; the oldest I noticed was 46 y.o. I nearly dropped dead. That was at a state school (Illinois), but it sure made me feel better. A few schools have a range like that. I think older than early 30s is not very common since people have other priorities by then. Namely, a family.

I think age discrimination is illegal by federal law, so it shouldnt be a problem. They will definitely bring it up if they grant you an interview though.