Ahh!!! Amcas typo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhereicome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so im still waiting for verification, damnit AMCAS takes forever.

Before submitting, i must have read the damn app 10-20 times, had friends and family read it, and our college writing tutor read it as well. BUT we all missed a typo. instead of writing "Teaching" i accicdently wrote "Teaaching". WTF i cant change anything now, do you think it'll hurt my chances a lot?

thanks for the replies in advance.....

--crazy premed

Members don't see this ad.

JESUS CHRIST!!

Yes, you are going to lose any chance at all being accepted into Medical School. Your GPA, Your MCAT, Your EC's have all been nullified due to the fact you added an extra 'a' to the word "teaching"

All that talent gone to waste...a shame...a damn shame!!

Members don't see this ad :)
you will be ok, I promise. Stuff like this happens to everyone and I doubt they will even notice while scanning your app (along with thousands of other students

If you missed it the 10 times you spent thoroughly reading your essays then they will probably also miss it the one time they briefly scan over it.

Even if they don't, they will not (I promise) care in the least. It won't have any meaningful reflection upon your candidacy. Now, if your essay were littered with typos and poor grammar, that would be a totally different story.

On the plus side, I hear the weather in the Caribbean is really nice.

On the plus side, I hear the weather in the Caribbean is really nice.

You may get tired of the beach after a while. Not to mention, the island effect can drive you up the wall.

To the OP, if you did a search on typos, then you will see that it doesn't really matter. This has happened many times (I would not be surprised if majority of people had at least one error in their app) and the people still get accepted.

Bottom line: The actually material provided in the app is all what really matters. They will overlook a tiny typo. It is irrelevant.

You may get tired of the beach after a while. Not to mention, the island effect can drive you up the wall.

To the OP, if you did a search on typos, then you will see that it doesn't really matter. This has happened many times (I would not be surprised if majority of people had at least one error in their app) and the people still get accepted.

Bottom line: The actually material provided in the app is all what really matters. They will overlook a tiny typo. It is irrelevant.

I just found a typo in my app too and was reading your post as reassurance... ironic though, how your answer had a typo in it too. :p

It really doesn't matter. It really doesn't. And stop looking at your submitted app. It will drive you crazy.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are.

The olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe and the biran fguiers it out aynawy

wow no one will care. it's not like it can be misinterpreted as anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it -- you're human, I assure you that med schools are aware of this.

Trust me, I'm not beating myself over it. It happens. And I hope no one else in the same situation is either. OP- you'll be fine! :)

Last edited:
I spelled the word "bearing" incorrectly by spelling it "baring" after having read it a lot as well. The brain has a funny way of just filling in the correct spelling. Don't sweat it.

If you have a mcat > 35, they will not care. If you have a mcat < 35, that typo just owned your face.

:) -jk

It's no biggie really. As long as your application sounds good, a little typo won't sink the ship.

If you add up all of the typos I had in my AMCAS and in the secondaries for the school that I eventually was accepted and just matriculated at, I wouldn't be sure if you would be able to fit them on one hand.

S'all good guys :)

If you add up all of the typos I had in my AMCAS and in the secondaries for the school that I eventually was accepted and just matriculated at, I wouldn't be sure if you would be able to fit them on one hand.

S'all good guys :)

There's a typo in your avatar, "to big", unless it's a pun I'm missing. If it were my avatar, it would really bother me. I'm so neurotic.

instead of writing "Teaching" i accicdently wrote "Teaaching". WTF i cant change anything now, do you think it'll hurt my chances a lot?

maybe the person reading your app. will be Dutch or Afrikaans and won't consider this to be a typo. (*I feel the need to clarify that this is a joke...for all the humorless premeds who will be reading...:laugh:)

I was apparently cutoff so "improving my future career" became "improving my future car"

Am I screwed? If they read the whole sentence, they'll easily get the jist but perhaps only chuckle at the cutoff?

This is such a comforting thread. I just made the stupidest typo on a secondary. My heart sank when I noticed it. I thought it might be really bad since, you know, docs need to be very careful under high stress in everything that I do. So, I'm guessing, I shouldn't email them or anything to rectify the typo?