AHHH! I'm freaking out! I wanna be a Doctor's Assisstant SO BAD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure why you all are so extremely insulted to be called Doctor's Assistant as your title is Physician assistant which is quite similar. Is it an ego thing? I don't get it. Are you upset to be reminded that you're not really a doctor? I mean the A in PA stands for 'assistant'. That's what you are. Why are you so ashamed of it? Im not trying to insult or offend it just doesn't make sense. It wouldn't bother me one bit... getting so pissed about a minor mistake in a title is silly... I feel like there must be some deep seated resentment for doctors or some sort of ego issue behind it

so you are ok with " doctor's little helper supervisor" instead of physician?
that's not a minor mistake.....
what's the problem with being asked to be called by our proper name?

Doctor = Physician

Associates definition -
"Joined with another or others and having equal or nearly equal status"

Physicians associate sounds like a degree in equality with an MD or DO. I can water plants as a gardener for 10 years but I still won't be a firefighter. If you wanted to be an MD or DO, shouldn't you have gone to medical school?

Why not change the title "medical assistant" instead of physicians assistant?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor = Physician

Why not change the title "medical assistant" instead of physicians assistant?

Sigh........Did you bother to read the proceeding posts?

Your status states you are pre-med...good on you. At some point, you will need to know who the rest of folks you will be working with are and what they do. You WILL depend on them,

Medical Assistant is job in itself. They are the folks that perform the basic care functions in many settings; much like a CNA. The training is usually a few months long....basic. It gets tiring for PA's to constantly be mistaken for medical assistants considering PA's hold masters degrees in health science.

Good luck to you. If you make it you will get a chance to work with most of the different health related jobs. You will sink or swim based on how you interact. I normally don't post here because this forum has very little reflection of real life....what I just said is. Some advice from a guy who has been in health care of 20 years; yes, I started out as a medical assistant.

@peteB: THANK YOU for understanding where I was coming from! I wasn't trying to go ballistic and start a heated argument on this thread, until others called me "immature" "TROLL" etc. and flamed at me for a tiny mistake.

I asked a question and all they did was try to make me feel stupid, which completely ticked me off. If I made a mistake, all they had to do was politely correct me, the attitude wasn't needed. No, I'm not a troll, and I thought "Doctor's Assistant" and "Physician Assistant" were interchangeable terms in the beginning due to some websites that used them in the same manner. Unfortunately, I made an error, and I stand corrected.

@hughesn2: No, it's not a 3.02 GPA. I typed it correctly, it's 4.02 GPA, which is pretty much the same thing as a "4.0 GPA"

Other than that, I'm satisfied with the feedback I received from some people. Btw, I'm a female.... *sighs*

It's all about attitude. Humility will carry you leaps and bounds in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have over a decade of education to be where I am today and many patients still confuse me with a medical assistant until I launch into a big shpiel about what a pa is.

Not to pry, but what do you mean a decade? I'm mostly just curious.

Not to pry, but what do you mean a decade? I'm mostly just curious.
BS degree medical anthropology @ the University of CA: 4 years
Paramedic school: 1 yr
PA school: 2 yrs ( BS #2)
MS clinical emergency med.: 1 yr
Postmasters/graduate certificate in Family and emergency medicine: 1 year
currently in yr 2 of a 4 yr Doctorate in Global health science program.
when done total education = 13 years
(there was also a yr in there I didn't count of taking extra prereqs for medschool around a decade ago when I was considering going back to school( genetics, physics, stats, etc. All A's except for 1 B+).

Last edited by a moderator:
Venom5;13317373 Why not change the title "medical assistant" instead of physicians assistant?[/QUOTE said:
first, we can't change the name of another profession (and they really are "assistants").
2nd our current name is physician assistant, not physician's assistant.
your Gardner/fireman analogy doesn't work.
it would be more like " I can work as executive officer on a battleship for 10 yrs but that doesn't make me the captain". I can go to "captain school" if I want to learn the difference between a first officer and a captain but on a day to day basis the captain and the first officer do very similar jobs. either one can lead the team in the absence of the other.
at my current job I am scheduled interchangeably with docs and there is nothing they do (aside from PA chart review) that I don't. I staff an 11 bed dept by myself on night shifts without a doc in house. we staff pa's 24/7 and have a doc on day shift only as double coverage in the middle of the day.

first, we can't change the name of another profession (and they really are "assistants").
2nd our current name is physician assistant, not physician's assistant.
your Gardner/fireman analogy doesn't work.
it would be more like " I can work as executive officer on a battleship for 10 yrs but that doesn't make me the captain". I can go to "captain school" if I want to learn the difference between a first officer and a captain but on a day to day basis the captain and the first officer do very similar jobs. either one can lead the team in the absence of the other.
at my current job I am scheduled interchangeably with docs and there is nothing they do (aside from PA chart review) that I don't. I staff an 11 bed dept by myself on night shifts without a doc in house. we staff pa's 24/7 and have a doc on day shift only as double coverage in the middle of the day.

How do you respond to doctors who say you aren't qualified for that kind of job role? You mention that you have years of experience but do you think a new pa is equivalent in terms of skill sets to a new physician?

How do you respond to doctors who say you aren't qualified for that kind of job role? You mention that you have years of experience but do you think a new pa is equivalent in terms of skill sets to a new physician?

I would ask them what they can do that I can't. I teach md residents how to do most of the procedures in emergency medicine and I precept them on cases in the e.d.
if I can teach em to physician resident s doesn't it make sense that I can do it myself?

A new grad pa is not equivalent to a new grad md by any means. it takes time for the pa to reach a level of comfort at which they can function with a high degree of autonomy.
I did not work solo for many years after getting out of pa school. it was a through a long series of jobs working my way up the ladder in terms of scope of practice, comfort with procedures, familiarity with complex pts, etc
many pa's find a level on the ladder where they are comfortable and stop there. that's fine. each time I had maxed out my scope of practice at a job I moved on to places I could learn more and do more. several times this involved a pay cut to work at a better job. I once took a pay cut of 8 dollars/hr and went from a cush schedule ( m-th 9-6 doing fast track only) to a job at a community er where I could work side by side with er docs who liked to teach working rotating shifts 200+ hrs/mo.
after 7 years there I had learned all there was to learn and moved on to a busy trauma ctr(also for a pay cut). a few years after that I moved to my current jobs( 1 place solo nights, another rural dept double coverage)
we staff fp docs at our facility. an experienced empa runs circles around a new grad fp doc in the er . this is not surprising. the fp doc would run circles around me in an fp clinic. em is my specialty, fp is theirs. after a yr or so of OJT they do ok but every pa in our group knows a lot more em than any new grad fp doc and many with years of clinic only fp experience. an fp doc who has worked in em for many years is quite capable and in most cases interchangeable with a residency trained/boarded em doc. I work with a few fp docs who have been defacto em docs longer than the profession of em has officially existed. these guys are all em studs and folks I am happy to turn to for advice.

To your first question, you let your work ethic and skills do the talking. To your second question an EM PA vs a board certified EM doc it's the doc hands down (both new as you say)

To your first question, you let your work ethic and skills do the talking. To your second question an EM PA vs a board certified EM doc it's the doc hands down (both new as you say)
agree. I was comparing empa to fp md.
it's all about repetition. a new grad em md has seen a lot more sick folks than a new pa.
it gets a little fuzzy looking at very experienced pa's vs new docs in the same specialty. then it comes down to individuals. RCdavis( an em pa at the pa forum) has been an em and critical care pa for 35 years and was a medic in vietnam. he has taught em residents for most of that time. I would stack him up against any new grad em md. I am not in RC's league yet. maybe when I grow up. ( I teach em to fp residents if I didn't make that clear before).

I would prefer something with "clinician" in the title. After all that is what a PA is....a clinician, whereas an MD is a scientist/clinician. I just can't think of anything that sounds good to go with it

At the end of the day....it's a good profession; with or without a namechange.

To be fair to my physician-scientist colleagues...I'd consider the "scientist" title within the medical field to imply also having a Ph.D., as the research training required to do it right is far more extensive than what a typical medical student would encounter during training.

To be fair to my physician-scientist colleagues...I'd consider the "scientist" title within the medical field to imply also having a Ph.D., as the research training required to do it right is far more extensive than what a typical medical student would encounter during training.

True, I was generalizing to show one of the main differences in PA vs MD training. The didactic part of PA training covers a good deal of the science behind medicine, but it is abridged compared to the training of an MD; who has a much more solid base in the sciences.

True, I was generalizing to show one of the main differences in PA vs MD training. The didactic part of PA training covers a good deal of the science behind medicine, but it is abridged compared to the training of an MD; who has a much more solid base in the sciences.

Fair enough. The same parallel can be drawn to the research training between an M.D. and Ph.D. I mentor doctoral students, med students, and physicians with research, and there is definitely a range of exposure. I enjoy the experience, and the extra manpower is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is doctor assistant so insulting? I mean, really? Compared to physician assistant?

:confused:
A physician is a doctor so why are you so oversensitive to someone saying doctor assistant in place of physician assistant?

It would be like calling a Dentist a hygienist seeing they do a lot more than that. I could be wrong dont know much about teeth

It would be like calling a Dentist a hygienist seeing they do a lot more than that. I could be wrong dont know much about teeth
Not at all since dentist=/=hygienist whereas physician is also called a doctor.

the approved actual name of the profession is physician assistant or P.A.
nothing else.
anything else invites more confusion with medical assistant. I have 10 yrs of schooling. they have 3-6 months.

Doctor is a broad term that can encompass anyone trained at the doctoral level, even though MD/DOs are the docs in a clinical setting. PAs have a collaborative relationship with physicians specifically as opposed to other doctoral level folks so it is an appropriate distinction.

Doctor is a broad term that can encompass anyone trained at the doctoral level, even though MD/DOs are the docs in a clinical setting. PAs have a collaborative relationship with physicians specifically as opposed to other doctoral level folks so it is an appropriate distinction.
EXACTLY....I will have a doctorate in 2 years...does that mean I can oversee myself?

There actually is a difference. Most of us take a Medical Ethics class and throughout that class we learn the difference between a practice. There is a difference between a Doctor and a Physician.
A doctorate degree can be a doctor. A psychologist is a doctor, Graduate College Degree. It can be any any field (i.e. education, philosophy, medicine.)
A physician is a medical practitioner as in a D.O., MD, or a DPM.

One thing I learned from my professor who had a doctorate in philosophy he jokes about the fact that when someone passes out you always hear people say "Is there a doctor in the room?" He always joked saying they should technically be saying "Is there a physician in the room?" A doctorate in philosophy or psychology may have a PhD or a 'Dr.' before his name but no way he could come into a hospital and tell an MD or DO that he knows anything about medicine since he is a 'Dr.' This is also why many people with doctorates criticize people if they don't refer to them as a Dr. b/c many people don't know to call him that. But if you run into a family friend or someone you KNOW is a physician you will always refer to him as a 'Dr.' when speaking of him.

It is more based on medical ethics to refer to a PA as a PA not a DA. It is the medical practice and ethics that you must respect
Yes, a doctor is a doctor, but the name isn't a Doctor's Assistant so just don't call it that. Most of these guys issues is that if he really wants to be a PA he better understand one's practice and the ethical name to call one.

So lets look at it this way. If you would have only said 'Physicians Assistant' in the first place you would have gotten more than a couple responses on what track you should go on. Well lets put the word phrasing on the side.

Next issue, so if you are 19 then that probably puts you at a Sophomore level and since you posted it this September you are STILL a Sophomore. You say you have a 4.02, which is odd b/c at least at schools here in MI you can't get above a 4.0 in college. We don't get extra GPA boost for anything. So that puzzles me as well.

You should understand that many (or nearly all) students planning the PA route don't actually start their CNA certification until their Jr. year. But it is good that you understand this before. But don't go crying like a little girl (assuming you are a guy) b/c you are at least a year ahead of most of your competition.

It also depends on what state you live in or plan on going to. Some states are much more competitive than others. Some schools only require 200 hours, some 1000 hours, some 1500 hours, and some even less than 100 hours. You gotta research which are which. Here in Michigan the hours differentiate between the 5 PA schools. It goes from 100 hrs (CMU), 500hrs (GVSU), nearly 2000hrs (UDM), 500 hrs (WayneSt), and 1000hrs (WMU). And these are the MINIMUM hours required. Then when I researched schools around MI and I noticed some schools require minimum of 100hrs.

Rarely do you actually find people that are going to the schools that do require hours that actually do go to PA schools that are less than a year out of college. Every PA (or current PA school students) I know said that they took AT LEAST one year off

LOL. Sorry, I just needed a catchy thread title to catch people's attention in answering my question. Okay, so I'm 19 years old, currently just starting my sophomore year at a university... I'm taking Biology II, Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry Lab I, and Physics I (algebra-based). I have a 4.02 GPA ... so far. lol.

What the hell do i need to do in order to make sure I get into P.A school? I wanna start early and get all the information I need NOW, so I can be prepared. I'm in the biology club, premedical minority club where I also do community service every month, and I volunteer at the local hospital, 3 hours a week. What else do I need to do to stand out?!

I hear "clinical health experience" is a biggie for an application. Does a Certified Nursing Assistant sound okay? I hear people as young as 16 years old can start being CNAs... interesting, so instead of working at Nordstrom, I can just ditch that job, and be a CNA and get paid instead?

1. How many hours do I need?
2. What are some good PA programs out there?
3. Do you think it's possible for me to work and get all the clinical healthcare experience I can get DURING college, so by the time I've graduated, I can just go straight into P.A. school? I seriously want a career as fast as possible! :D

So lets look at it this way. If you would have only said 'Physicians Assistant' in the first place you would have gotten more than a couple responses on what track you should go on. Well lets put the word phrasing on the side.

Next issue, so if you are 19 then that probably puts you at a Sophomore level and since you posted it this September you are STILL a Sophomore. You say you have a 4.02, which is odd b/c at least at schools here in MI you can't get above a 4.0 in college. We don't get extra GPA boost for anything. So that puzzles me as well.

You should understand that many (or nearly all) students planning the PA route don't actually start their CNA certification until their Jr. year. But it is good that you understand this before. But don't go crying like a little girl (assuming you are a guy) b/c you are at least a year ahead of most of your competition.

It also depends on what state you live in or plan on going to. Some states are much more competitive than others. Some schools only require 200 hours, some 1000 hours, some 1500 hours, and some even less than 100 hours. You gotta research which are which. Here in Michigan the hours differentiate between the 5 PA schools. It goes from 100 hrs (CMU), 500hrs (GVSU), nearly 2000hrs (UDM), 500 hrs (WayneSt), and 1000hrs (WMU). And these are the MINIMUM hours required. Then when I researched schools around MI and I noticed some schools require minimum of 100hrs.

Rarely do you actually find people that are going to the schools that do require hours that actually do go to PA schools that are less than a year out of college. Every PA (or current PA school students) I know said that they took AT LEAST one year off

Not all of us took a year off :smuggrin: I just didn't have much of a life outside of undergraduate(well I did find time to join a fraternity and that was a very fun and life changing experience)

Not all of us took a year off :smuggrin: I just didn't have much of a life outside of undergraduate(well I did find time to join a fraternity and that was a very fun and life changing experience)
I became an emt as a senior in high school, worked as an er tech through college then went to medic school right after college. then 5 yrs as a medic before becoming a pa. I was (at the time) one of the youngest, least experienced folks in my class with > 10,000 hrs of hce.....

This is also why many people with doctorates criticize people if they don't refer to them as a Dr. b/c many people don't know to call him that. But if you run into a family friend or someone you KNOW is a physician you will always refer to him as a 'Dr.' when speaking of him.

In a clinical setting in front of patients and whatnot titles are important, but out in public....not really. It's still Bob and Jane when you grab a beer or catch a game. *shrugs*

@hughesn2: On my university's website, the grading scale is out of a 4.0, and I'm viewing my academic evaluation at this moment, and it says "4.02" if you think I'm lying or not. For individual classes, we use the plus/minus system, and an "A+" is equivalent to a 4.3, "A" is a 4.0, and "A-" is a 3.7. The A+'s that I received might have brought my GPA a little bit, so I'm assuming that's where the "0.02" came from. But overall, when I graduate, the highest GPA I can graduate with is a 4.0 GPA, and therefore my "4.02" is simply recalculated as a "4.0 GPA". I don't want to give out too much personal information on where I go to school, etc. for privacy reasons on the threads.

As for hours, I'm aiming for a CNA certification during either spring or summer semester of my current sophomore year, then start getting the hours in the beginning of junior year. Yes, I do plan on taking a year off to strengthen my application a lot more with HCE, more volunteer hours, shadowing, etc.

For the hundredth time.... I'm a FEMALE.