1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

AICASA BSEP Program or Saint James School of Medicine (Carribean)

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by accepted109, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. accepted109

accepted109 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've recently been accepted to both Antigua's Basic Science Enhancement Program and Saint James School of Medicine. If I do the BSEP program and pass with at least a 2.7 I am guaranteed admission to AUA College of Medicine by the next semester. However I have already gotten guaranteed admission to Saint James School of Medicine. Which one should I do? Does anyone know the chances of successfully completing the BSEP program ? Which would benefit me the most?

More Info:
    According to AUA you MUST pass the BSEP program (which is 1 semester) with a 2.7 and then are guaranteed admission for their MD program in the following semester. From what I heard the BSEP program is NOT EASY and not everyone successfully finishes the program. However AUA is a much better school than Saint James being that it is in the top 5 Caribbean Med Schools plus it has approvals in NY and Cali (Which Saint James does not have). On the other hand If I went to Saint James I would be already in the MD program this fall. Although they are not approved in NY or Cali, there are approved in 42/50 states and you can still do residency in NY and eventually practice there (I believe). I'm just trying to see which is more worth it and I am leaning towards AUA.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you certain about that?

-Skip

4. Qester

Qester 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just a question, what would be your match year for each route you go?

5. accepted109

accepted109 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes they've had students match in NY

6. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The only reason I ask is because it seems unusual that they would let students train in residency in NY, but not offer them the opportunity for permanent licensure. I don't know if this is a normal thing in NY, but it seems a little weird to me.

-Skip

About the ads