1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Aight, Who's Giving Up UMiami?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Papa Smurf, May 21, 2002.

1. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life
    7+ Year Member

Somebody? Anybody? I think only one SDN'er has withdrawn from there post-acceptance. Anyone else? Their waitlist hasn't even started moving yet. Slow, but what else is new.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life
    7+ Year Member

4. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey Pops,
    Yeah, I think only aria111 has withdrawn from UM that I know of. How do you know that their waitlist hasn't moved at all yet? Did you call them or something?
    Cane

5. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I called. They said they don't anticipate sending out offers for another 2 weeks. They're still trying to figure out who's coming and who's not. And the wait continues..... Oh btw, I know joehuf declined an acceptance. Was aria111 an in-stater or out of stater? I don't think out of state withdrawals will help us much b/c they'll just replace one out of stater with another.

6. Aria111

Aria111 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

sorry, guys- out of stater.

7. What's up with this post being so far back...i had to go 6 pages to get a Miami thread? I thought i was going to run across my old one from back in the stoneage until i saw this one. Let's see some enthusiasm out here folks...and keep this thread alive.
    So, has anyone on sdn been accepted to UM in the last month...I just want to know where the hell everyone is going...

8. bond007md

bond007md Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey you guys I am definitely applying to UMiami this upcoming cycle. But I am out of state, so should I have low expectations? Is the adcom perceptive to non-FL applicants? Also what kind of atmosphere did you notice- including the grading, people, etc? Thanks :cool:

9. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bond,
    UM has become very receptive to out of staters this year. They are dissing their own students and accepting applicants from every other school, which makes me very mad. So, your expectations shouldn't be too low of getting in. I think you have a good chance of getting in if you have decent numbers (what are yours?). But, maybe you should apply elsewhere. This school's administration is a disgrace! They have treated all of those interviewed horribly (there are exceptions, of course). They don't care for those who have been waitlisted. Their secretaries are extremely rude when you call them, and they don't give out any information. Honestly, if you don't live here in Miami, like I do, then there is absolutely no reason to put up with their ****. Of course, I may be biased in my statements, since I have been treated so badly and unfairly despite having excellent stats. Good luck.
    Cane

10. Ida1

Ida1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Bond, Canes is absolutely right. I'd really consider my motives for applying to Miami. I went into applciation process with Miami being my number one choice, mainly for personal reasons. Right now I am waiting for my accpetance only so I can write them a nice long letter to turn them down. I am also an out-of-stater. These are my reasons for deciding that I will not attend Miami: 1) In almost one year since applying I have received exactly four pieces of communication from them (even upon inquiring for more)...a post card that asked me if I was really intersted in applying, the secondary application, the invitation to interview, and the letter telling me I'm an alternate. 2) For $52,000 (what it will cost me to go there per year as an out-of-stater), I can pay for all four years at the U of Utah (which is a better school than UM). 3) The classrooms stink. (Literally.) Ever since I interviewed, I've been trying to tell myself it won't be a big deal, but I could barely breath because of the rotten smell. (Maybe I'm just not used to the humidity, because I live in the high desert out west.) 5) The incredible disregard for the anxiety of their applicants (and arrogance that everyone will wait to hear from them) makes me wonder how much they are going to look out for my best interests while I'm there. 6) I've experienced exactly the opposite from the U of Utah and the U of Nevada. Both are extremely helpful; both act like they really like their students. At each school I've taken some time and gone to the Med Library and just arbitrarily asked people how much they like going to the school...for both the U of Utah and U of Nevada, I got overwhelming, incredibly positive responses. I got sarcastic responses at the U of Miami.

This is my experience. Think about what you really want out of your med school experience.