AIIMS - once and for all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettypea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the breakdown:

I'm an NRI from Europe with family in Delhi.
I'm in my third year of med school.
Next year (fall 07) we have one semester for our surgery course.
I want to do this at AIIMS.

Now, for any of you who are familiar with AIIMS, how might the process work?

Members don't see this ad.

prettypea said:
Ok here's the breakdown:

I'm an NRI from Europe with family in Delhi.
I'm in my third year of med school.
Next year (fall 07) we have one semester for our surgery course.
I want to do this at AIIMS.

Now, for any of you who are familiar with AIIMS, how might the process work?

check out these links-

http://www.aiims.ac.in/aiims/academic/elective.htm

http://www.studentbmj.com/issues/02/11/life/424.php

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/students/meop/MainPages/Sudent_Reports/Reports/Countries/India.htm

Thank you, you're the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
^ these days we have wonderful tools called search engines.... try using them more often... i wouldnt cost you anything to beome a bit smarter ;) :laugh:

hope you take it in good spirit.

- Gaurav "why am I writting this" Sharma

$!n!$+er said:
^ these days we have wonderful tools called search engines.... try using them more often... i wouldnt cost you anything to beome a bit smarter ;) :laugh:

hope you take it in good spirit.

- Gaurav "why am I writting this" Sharma

:D Yes (in good spirit) I had done that search myself and came across those sites (they were bookmarked and filed away under favorites months ago, but I still don't have the name of someone in charge of visiting students and that was what I wanted), but you replied and that's why I was grateful.

So back to the original question, if someone reading this here has or knows someone who has done an elective/ whatever at AIIMS that I could write to directly, I'd love to hear from you!

prettypea said:
:D Yes (in good spirit) I had done that search myself and came across those sites (they were bookmarked and filed away under favorites months ago, but I still don't have the name of someone in charge of visiting students and that was what I wanted), but you replied and that's why I was grateful.

:p sorry dude underestimated you...

contact the registrar mr. vp gupta

hi!

3rd year med student from Canada looking to set up an elective at AIIMS this coming January.

a few questions for anyone familiar with AIIMS/or medical education in general in india.

- how does the ER work in terms of staffing?...is it a specific specialty like it is in North America or is it run by internists/surgeons? im looking for a broad exposure to medicine in India. Do ER opportunities exist or is general medicine the way to go?

- what kind of responsibility can one expect as a medical student? im conversant in hindi/punjabi, can i expect to be seeing patients on my own (and reviewing with staff) or mostly observing?

- looking to make it a 'working vacation', what kind of hours can I expect on the internal medicine service?

- what are the AIIMS med students/residents like? easy to get along with? am I going to look like a complete tool because i dont have harrison's committed to memory (or is that just a false stereotype?)

thanks.
can't wait to be back in delhi...its been awhile!

hey...

just came across your post...don't actually visit this site often....

the ER (referred to as Casualty) is run by internists and surgeons and there is no separate department. However, AIIMS is planning to open a new Trauma centre soon....

if u want exposure to healthcare in india, internal medicine would be a better choice. you will be assigned to a unit and will get to attend the rounds, the out patient services etc of that particular unit. you will have the freedom to work up as many cases in the wards as you like and discuss them with the residents. it entirely depends on your interest and enthusiasm. a chance to discuss a case one to one with a faculty maybe limited though.

the duration of work depends on you i guess. not sure about that though! but it definitely wont be hard.

since u are conversant in hindi, u wouldn't have any problem at all i guess. it will be pretty comfortable working with the residents. though you may dislike a few(but then that is how it is everywhere isn't it?). and about the students..well most of them are nice..u wouldn't have to interact with them anyway(unless you want to that is) ...

feel free to ask if u need to know anything more.

chitachuddi said:
hi!

3rd year med student from Canada looking to set up an elective at AIIMS this coming January.

a few questions for anyone familiar with AIIMS/or medical education in general in india.

- how does the ER work in terms of staffing?...is it a specific specialty like it is in North America or is it run by internists/surgeons? im looking for a broad exposure to medicine in India. Do ER opportunities exist or is general medicine the way to go?

- what kind of responsibility can one expect as a medical student? im conversant in hindi/punjabi, can i expect to be seeing patients on my own (and reviewing with staff) or mostly observing?

- looking to make it a 'working vacation', what kind of hours can I expect on the internal medicine service?

- what are the AIIMS med students/residents like? easy to get along with? am I going to look like a complete tool because i dont have harrison's committed to memory (or is that just a false stereotype?)

thanks.
can't wait to be back in delhi...its been awhile!

chitachuddi said:
Thanks for the reply!

one more question: so I tried emailing the electives department using the email addresses listed on ther website http://www.aiims.edu/aiims/academic/elective.htm.....both of them bounced back.

any advice as to what the best way to contact the electives department or potential supervisor is?

thanks!

LOL...this is india....in a government office, no one replies to mails...at least thats wut i think! (never tried mailing anyone)...the best way would be to call them up on the phone and talk. u can get the numbers from the telephone directory on the website(which again i doubt is updated!)

Sh V.P Gupta, Registrar 91-11-26589796

http://www.aiims.edu/aiims/public_rel/email_add.htm

try calling up..emails wouldn't be of much help(that is wut i feel..don't know the reality though. never sent one...considering the attitude of those in the academic section, i doubt it!)