AIM-Lodz, Poland Medical School for US/Canadian citizens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayaksR4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge about this school? It is World Health Organization approved site for medical training and of course fulfills local Polish medical college accreditation requirements.
It is affiliated with the American Institute of Medicine, offers classes in English, enrolls American and Canadian citizens. There is a 6 year option for candidates who are high school graduates, during the first two years traditional premed coursework is completed. Apparently after graduation, physicians are able to apply for US medical licensure. What about competing for residency slots?
Would this be a reasonable choice for someone who wants to work as a general internist? The idea of learning medicine in another culture seems fascinating to me, and I am 2nd generation Polish (speak both languages)...just a thought..

oh, clinical placements are in the UK as well as Poland

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted to the U. of Lodz for next term (october), and I am awaiting my welcome package and other information. I am also curious about this medical University. So if you find out about their USMLE scores, let me know.

chinesedoc said:
I was just accepted to the U. of Lodz for next term (october), and I am awaiting my welcome package and other information. I am also curious about this medical University. So if you find out about their USMLE scores, let me know.
It is not U of Lodz, it is Medical univeristy of Lodz.

Members don't see this ad :)
chinesedoc said:

I am also going to the medical university of lodz. Are you going through AIM?

khf said:
I am also going to the medical university of lodz. Are you going through AIM?

Yep. Going through AIM. Very helpful people.

Whats AIM stand for?

Does Lodz require references? or a Full Honors BSc degree?
I'm writing the MCAT in August. I've been accepted into Pharmacy and Optometry in the UK, but I really want to do medicine and work in USA because Canada is too dificult.

From what I've read in this thread, residencies are in UK and possibly USA.

Deadline is July 15, I hope I can get answers! lol

So it depends where you are. If you are a US'er, then you have to go through AIM. web page: www.gotomedschool.com.
Residencies in the UK are very difficult for a US'er to obtain, even after doing basic sci in the EU (poland), and clinical sci in the UK. It is very easy to do it in the US. You need 90 hours of undergrad + pre med courses and a good CV and req letters. Better hurry. Time is running short for Financial aide and visa applications.

:)

evader said:
Whats AIM stand for?

I'm writing the MCAT in August. I've been accepted into Pharmacy and Optometry in the UK, but I really want to do medicine and work in USA because Canada is too dificult.

Hi,
I am new here and I'd love to hear opinions on Medical University of Gdansk. I noticed their English Program is pretty new and so it'd great if you guys could share some info with me. I'm looking into studing medicine abroad. Thanks alot. :)

If you already have a mastery of Polish then you have a plus.

In addition to the MSN.

From what I've heard from a Russian RN I know the students are still required to learn Polish for their clerkships. And learning a Slavic bassed language is VERY different from a Romantic language (ie Spanish).

Also, the faculty does'nt provied time to study for the USMLE exams which you MUST take to perform a clerkship in the US.

I would never enroll sight unseen.

Buyer beware.

Keep us updated!!!

RRT2MD said:
If you already have a mastery of Polish then you have a plus.

In addition to the MSN.

From what I've heard from a Russian RN I know the students are still required to learn Polish for their clerkships. And learning a Slavic bassed language is VERY different from a Romantic language (ie Spanish).

Also, the faculty does'nt provied time to study for the USMLE exams which you MUST take to perform a clerkship in the US.

I would never enroll sight unseen.

Buyer beware.

Keep us updated!!!

Learning Polish was not that hard for me. The spelling and pronounciation take a little to master, but the grammar is very structured. Once you learn grammar rules, the rest is vocab and spelling.

Hello all!
I've also been acceptd to the Medical University of Lodz. My mom works with a doctor who graduated from Warsaw. She said the program at Lodz is excellent, but it will be more difficult to get into a residency program in the US once you graduate. It's also worth noting that was more then 10 years ago when she graduated. My mom (nurse practioner, she's been a nurse for more then 20 years) says the best trained are not usually the US doctors...but this might be because it's harder for an EU doctor to get into the US so the ones that do are the top.

I'll be on a plane September 24th and heading out. How many of us will be on the plane leaving Chicago?

Hey, for those of that will be attending Lodz, what I kind of living arrangements do you guys have??

I'll be staying in the campus dorms.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into Lodz, Warsaw and Szczecin. As far as I know AIM tend to screw people for money so watch it if they ask you for extra fees during the year.

I decided to accept a pharmacy degree in my home country (Ireland), I asked Lodz if I could defer my place for a year until I am sure about going to Poland (I'll see how pharmacy goes for a yr) and they said I could. I think that was very good of them.

And for anyone who is wondering-it's pronounced "woolshh" not "Loads" as AIM would have you believe!!

See www.topmedschool.com/vb , polish forum has some good info.

Good luck to everyone, let us know how it goes in October and does anyone else notice that the holiday time at Polish university is very small!!?????

Whats AIM stand for?

High school diploma required for 6 yr course, it is quite easy to gain admission into Poland.

Will your pharmacy degree allow you to practice with the Royal Pharm Society of GB?

You don't need any references, just submit an app with your results. I'll say this running the risk of getting shot down but: a degree from your home country is ALWAYS better, you might be better off doing a postgrad med course in the UK for 4 yrs but that's just my opinion.

Good luck anyway, Lodz is generally regarded as the 2nd best in Poland with Warsaw topping the charts.

segaBOY, I'm going through AIM to get into Lodz. So far everything seems legit and okay, they have been very helpful. Also, the student loan companies list them as well, and I'd like to think that they wouldn't if it wasn't on the level. I'll be in poland in about 2 weeks. I'll certainly keep everyone posted.

segaBOY, I'm going through AIM to get into Lodz. So far everything seems legit and okay, they have been very helpful. Also, the student loan companies list them as well, and I'd like to think that they wouldn't if it wasn't on the level. I'll be in poland in about 2 weeks. I'll certainly keep everyone posted.

I really hope you are right, I just had some negative experiences with them:

Taken from http://www.topmedschool.com/vb/polish-medical-schools/72-warsaw-vs-od.html?highlight=alliance
"
I am a European so thankfully I won't have to deal with Mr. Patel or the $10,000 fee, we pay direct to the University and all Med schools in Poland have degrees recognized within the European Union.

I must admit however that an American institution I tried to deal with only wanted one thing-money. The Alliance Institute of Medicine (based in New York) forgot to tell me that, when I was applying to the Medical University of Lodz through the Alliance I could actually save myself around $10,000 by applying direct, you see North Americans MUST apply through the Alliance but I was free to apply direct to the University in Poland and save myself about $10k(Since I am European). Funny how it slipped their mind even though I asked them plenty of times "have any Europeans applied through the Alliance before?" to which they replied "no, but students from London have!" (London is in Europe by the way).

Upon further inspection I found out that they were actually not allowed to handle any European students but instead should have told me to apply directly to Lodz.

In short these places are just trying to extract money from anyone they can

Anyway that's my 2 cents"

Simply they tried to take me as a student when they shouldn't have and when I questioned them they didn't reply to any of my emails, I just don't trust them but as I said, I really hope you are right and I am wrong, the last thing I want is anyone losing their money and I am serious about that.

Well, I have no doubts that AIM is just trying to get money and is charging an additional fee, however they're not the ones handing out the diplomas which is the important part. I'd much rather deal with the school directly, but we have to go through AIM. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Guys...when I checked the website of AIM, I found that the cost in Lodz is almost $20000/year, and that's not cheap at all. Why don't you go to an another town, like Gdansk, where it costs like 9000euros/year($11500)?You'll save 8500 dollars/year.

Well i think it's a little late now, but i might look into it when i'm there.

Guys...when I checked the website of AIM, I found that the cost in Lodz is almost $20000/year, and that's not cheap at all. Why don't you go to an another town, like Gdansk, where it costs like 9000euros/year($11500)?You'll save 8500 dollars/year.

Sipan us Europeans get away with paying a lot less as we can apply direct to the university in question, North Americans have to go through agencies like the Hope Medical Institute ran by a crook named of Mr. Patel and the Alliance Institute of Medicine (which is the better of the two). They both charge double what we have to pay, since med school is generally quite dear in USA (compared to what we have to pay in our home country) most North Americans don't mind paying 20k whilst we'd have a serious problem with it.

jswayne, stay at Lodz, you won't find anything much cheaper and you are right, it is about the school. (Personally) I'd advice transferring into the Medical University of Warsaw in 2nd year but that's just my opinion.

Best of luck, hope you'll be Dr. Jswayne in 6 years time :D

And by the way, Polish med schools are quite relaxed about transferring from one University to another once you are prepared to put in the work if you missed out on anything....let's not beat around the bush here, they are only interested in your money....

The problem with transfering from one polish school to another is that I'll still have to pay through the US agencies, which would put me in the pocket of Mr. Patel. In the end, I think I'll stay at Lodz.

Pecs in Hungary charges $10,000 (or maybe it's €10,000, not too sure) and they are Cali Med board accepted, you can also transfer-something for you to tink about.

Pecs in Hungary charges $10,000 (or maybe it's €10,000, not too sure) and they are Cali Med board accepted, you can also transfer-something for you to tink about.
Something to keep in mind is Cali is only one state, and certainly not my first choice of residence. :) I know of a Polish doctor who graduated from Lodz (many many years ago) that is the Chief of Pediatrics at a hospital in Sacramento California, so don't believe everything you hear! Most states look at international schools on a case by case basis. Just because one person wasn't licensed doesn't mean you won't. You can always go to another state and reapply later. Personally though, I have no desire to live in California, it's far too expensive!

First of all, the amount foreigner have to pay about $10,000 EU, which is equivalent to about $12,500 to $13,000 USD. Secondly, this amount does not include
housing--which is included in our 8600 tuition (after first semester). Housing in Lodz is about $300/mo.

The Med U of Lodz has contracts with companies from all over the world,
some of which are not yet mentioned in their website. They do not
consult with AIM in any manner regarding these contracts. AIM is not the only one. This is the website from the Medical University of Lodz, therefore as legit as you can get. http://www.umed.lodz.pl/_edi/edi_enrolment.php Individuals from all over have to go through agencies.
What I do know is that most of these companies merely receive a
recruitment fee for each student, and at that point, the student is on
his own. They have no one to assist them with the myriad of questions
regarding the difficulties one faces in attending a foreign medical
school, such as the ones that you have had over the past weeks, and which
AIM answered through an MD who has been in the foreign medical school
business for 15 years. Additionally, they have no one to arrange US. and
UK clinical rotations for them, which AIM totally handles, with all
resultant papework, for MUL, because they are not permitted to complete
US/UK clinicals. They must remain in Poland for all clinicals. Also,
they have no one to process and certify all of loans available to
US/Canadian students, which AIM again handles through our two Financial
Aid Advisors, for US/Canadian students. These students must pay all
expenses out-of-pocket, because there are no international loan programs
available to them. Also, these students do not have the ability to sit
for the NBME Shelf Exams, the precursors to USMLE I, which AIM arranged
for Med U of Lodz US students.

Hope this helps all confusion and feeling of getting ripped off. It is the same situation as in the states. If you are out-of-state resident you pay higher tuition than if you're in-state. Suck it up and deal with it for COL.

Something to keep in mind is Cali is only one state, and certainly not my first choice of residence. :) I know of a Polish doctor who graduated from Lodz (many many years ago) that is the Chief of Pediatrics at a hospital in Sacramento California, so don't believe everything you hear! Most states look at international schools on a case by case basis. Just because one person wasn't licensed doesn't mean you won't. You can always go to another state and reapply later. Personally though, I have no desire to live in California, it's far too expensive!

Poland's native language six year programs are all approved in California. However, currently, none of the four year or English language programs in Poland are California approved.

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Applicant_Schools_Recognized.htm

California Medical Board said:
Warning: Some recognized medical schools that teach in their native language are opening English language medical school programs. The English language programs are not recognized unless specifically stated, e.g., "University of Pecs Faculty Medicine" and "Pecs University Medical School English Program (6-year English Program)." The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California.

Regarding California's rules, you are sorely misinformed. You cannot get around their requirements simply by completing a residency in another state and reapplying for licensure.

While it is true that some states do allow this option, most prominently NY, California's rules are the strictest and the most absolute.

Lack of recognition of the medical school/medical school program by the California medical board means no clinical rotations,no residency and no licensure in the state, period.

I recommend that you contact the medical board directly for confirmation of this information, because after all, I'm posting anonymously on an internet forum.

You are also misinformed. Unless all of the medical education is completed at a California approved program, the application for licensure will not be accepted.

First of all, the amount foreigner have to pay about $10,000 EU, which is equivalent to about $12,500 to $13,000 USD. Secondly, this amount does not include
housing--which is included in our 8600 tuition (after first semester). Housing in Lodz is about $300/mo.

The Med U of Lodz has contracts with companies from all over the world,
some of which are not yet mentioned in their website. They do not
consult with AIM in any manner regarding these contracts. AIM is not the only one. This is the website from the Medical University of Lodz, therefore as legit as you can get. http://www.umed.lodz.pl/_edi/edi_enrolment.php Individuals from all over have to go through agencies.
What I do know is that most of these companies merely receive a
recruitment fee for each student, and at that point, the student is on
his own. They have no one to assist them with the myriad of questions
regarding the difficulties one faces in attending a foreign medical
school, such as the ones that you have had over the past weeks, and which
AIM answered through an MD who has been in the foreign medical school
business for 15 years. Additionally, they have no one to arrange US. and
UK clinical rotations for them, which AIM totally handles, with all
resultant papework, for MUL, because they are not permitted to complete
US/UK clinicals. They must remain in Poland for all clinicals. Also,
they have no one to process and certify all of loans available to
US/Canadian students, which AIM again handles through our two Financial
Aid Advisors, for US/Canadian students. These students must pay all
expenses out-of-pocket, because there are no international loan programs
available to them. Also, these students do not have the ability to sit
for the NBME Shelf Exams, the precursors to USMLE I, which AIM arranged
for Med U of Lodz US students.

Hope this helps all confusion and feeling of getting ripped off. It is the same situation as in the states. If you are out-of-state resident you pay higher tuition than if you're in-state. Suck it up and deal with it for COL.

Hey that's cool, so when did you get the job at AIM and how well does it pay? Are you Dr. Peg Mitchell by any chance?!!

Does Lodz have rolling admissions?

Thanks and Congratulations on being accepted!