Aim - Psychiatrist (need guidance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamborg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I am not sure if this is the right section to post or not, if not please do move it to the correct section.

About me, I just completed my Bachelor's of Technology in Applied Physics. But now I want to go in the medicine field, a Psychiatrist as the final goal. I am from Asia, and looking for a med school in US, Canada or else any good med-school irrespective of the country.
How do I go about it? I have no idea about the tests, requirements or the degrees required in the med-field. According to the info I have gained yet, I think I need to get MD degree first, correct?
Secondly, would my degree in engineering be of any use at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. It sounds like you just need to read about the admissions procees, which you can easily do at the AAMC's site and many others. That information is applicable to US and Canadian schools and less so to schools in other countries. In the US, you will need to take the MCAT (standardized exam), apply to medical school, earn your medical degree, and then complete residency training in whatever field you're interested in. This process is variable from country to country, so you will need to do more specific research depending on where you're thinking of applying.

I'm not sure in what sense you're asking about the utility of your degree. You aren't going to be doing too many physics problems in medical school, and certainly not in psychiatry. For the most part schools don't care about what you studied in undergrad as long as you got a degree. I haven't heard of a "bachelor's in technology," though, so I don't know if this would be accepted, though if this is the equivalent of a basic post-secondary degree then I imagine it will be.

Getting into medical school in ths US as a non-citizen is not a trivial task. Your chances are significantly lower and often getting into schools is a logistical challenge with respect to costs, applying, etc.. The options you should consider are also dependent on where you ultimately want to practice. If you want to practice in the US, then you would do well to earn a US degree as recipricoty between countries is inconsistent and not universally honored.

tl;dr: You need to do your research, better define your goals, and figure out what you actually want to do. This is such a broad question that it's impossible to discuss in any significant detail.

Reactions: 1 users
yes
According to the info I have gained yet, I think I need to get MD degree first, correct?

No
Secondly, would my degree in engineering be of any use at all?

There are a number of stickies about this process on this website.

Members don't see this ad :)
In what country did you earn your degree?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. It sounds like you just need to read about the admissions procees, which you can easily do at the AAMC's site and many others. That information is applicable to US and Canadian schools and less so to schools in other countries. In the US, you will need to take the MCAT (standardized exam), apply to medical school, earn your medical degree, and then complete residency training in whatever field you're interested in. This process is variable from country to country, so you will need to do more specific research depending on where you're thinking of applying.

I'm not sure in what sense you're asking about the utility of your degree. You aren't going to be doing too many physics problems in medical school, and certainly not in psychiatry. For the most part schools don't care about what you studied in undergrad as long as you got a degree. I haven't heard of a "bachelor's in technology," though, so I don't know if this would be accepted, though if this is the equivalent of a basic post-secondary degree then I imagine it will be.

Getting into medical school in ths US as a non-citizen is not a trivial task. Your chances are significantly lower and often getting into schools is a logistical challenge with respect to costs, applying, etc.. The options you should consider are also dependent on where you ultimately want to practice. If you want to practice in the US, then you would do well to earn a US degree as recipricoty between countries is inconsistent and not universally honored.

tl;dr: You need to do your research, better define your goals, and figure out what you actually want to do. This is such a broad question that it's impossible to discuss in any significant detail.

Thanks for the reply. That did help.
About my degree, I was just wondering that if that would be a problem, which now I think wouldn't. BTW, bachelor's in technology is Engineering.
So, now I think I must take MCAT. My vocab might be fine but then I don't have any solid grasp on Bio and Chem, that would be a problem.
I think yes, I would ultimately want to practice in US. Do you have any idea if there are financial aids for international students (guessing its school dependent, but in general?) My goal would be to practice as a Psychiatrist in US (else Canada).

In what country did you earn your degree?
India. I should mention that the college from which I earned my degree is one of the top 10 in the country but my GPA isn't something to brag about.

About my degree, I was just wondering that if that would be a problem, which now I think wouldn't. BTW, bachelor's in technology is Engineering.
So, now I think I must take MCAT. My vocab might be fine but then I don't have any solid grasp on Bio and Chem, that would be a problem.
I think yes, I would ultimately want to practice in US. Do you have any idea if there are financial aids for international students (guessing its school dependent, but in general?) My goal would be to practice as a Psychiatrist in US (else Canada).

India. I should mention that the college from which I earned my degree is one of the top 10 in the country but my GPA isn't something to brag about.

If you wanna practice in the us you can get an MD or DO degree

Keep in mind that many MD schools require a minimum number of credits from a US school. Some require a bachelor's degree. So that should be your first step.

Reactions: 1 user