holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I am wondering if I am aiming too high for verbal. Right now, I am taking Kaplan and have been getting 8s and 9s (in verbal). I want to know if it is possible to get a 11 or 12 on the actual MCAT with only a month to go? I just bought the EK books but according to them, it will take me about a week just to get through one test! And i have 11 tests to go through! What should i do? Or should i just start aiming little lower? :confused:
Thanks for all your help.
 

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
1,313
6
Status
Medical Student
What is the point of "aiming" at all? Just do the best you can.

holycow said:
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I am wondering if I am aiming too high for verbal. Right now, I am taking Kaplan and have been getting 8s and 9s (in verbal). I want to know if it is possible to get a 11 or 12 on the actual MCAT with only a month to go? I just bought the EK books but according to them, it will take me about a week just to get through one test! And i have 11 tests to go through! What should i do? Or should i just start aiming little lower? :confused:
Thanks for all your help.
 
OP
H

holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
ok, let me rephrase...if i worked hard, could i expect to get a 11 or 12 from an 8/9 with only one month left? and....any suggestions as to how to work on the EK method especially since thre is only one month left?
 
About the Ads

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
holycow said:
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I am wondering if I am aiming too high for verbal. Right now, I am taking Kaplan and have been getting 8s and 9s (in verbal). I want to know if it is possible to get a 11 or 12 on the actual MCAT with only a month to go? I just bought the EK books but according to them, it will take me about a week just to get through one test! And i have 11 tests to go through! What should i do? Or should i just start aiming little lower? :confused:
Thanks for all your help.
First, I would take an EK exam or two as a diagnostic. Kaplan exams typically are not good predictiors of your progress in verbal. They fluctuate in difficulty and they are not representative of the actual MCAT.

An 11 or 12 is definitely possible. You don't have to spend an entire week on each exam. I got in the habit of doing one EK exam every Saturday and taking about 30 minutes on Sunday going over. I would focus on science during the week, but I would try to do a few (2-3) passages each night. I ended up doing about 6 of the EK 101 exams under full-length timed conditions, while splitting up the other 5 into 2-3 passage chunks (but still timed myself).
 
OP
H

holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for the tip. When you spent 30 minutes on sunday did you spend that on each passage or in total? and what part did you do..write down the main idea or go over the questions?
 

hmcalley

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
20
0
Status
Pre-Medical
holycow said:
thanks for the tip. When you spent 30 minutes on sunday did you spend that on each passage or in total? and what part did you do..write down the main idea or go over the questions?
Hi there. I remember reading from the Examkrackers's forum that Jordon (the founder) said that spending 30 minutes on each passage was a typo. The poster who brought this to Jordon's attention said that s/he was using 30 minutes for 3 passages. Jordon did not disagree, so I assumed that 30 minutes per 3 passages would be about right. Hope this helps.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
holycow said:
thanks for the tip. When you spent 30 minutes on sunday did you spend that on each passage or in total? and what part did you do..write down the main idea or go over the questions?
30 minutes per test. I went over the questions and the answer explanations. I focused on why the answers I chose were right...or why they were wrong. This helped me get a "feel" about right and wrong answers looked like.
 
OP
H

holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
hmcalley said:
Hi there. I remember reading from the Examkrackers's forum that Jordon (the founder) said that spending 30 minutes on each passage was a typo. The poster who brought this to Jordon's attention said that s/he was using 30 minutes for 3 passages. Jordon did not disagree, so I assumed that 30 minutes per 3 passages would be about right. Hope this helps.

well, that makes life a lot easier..still alot of time..but easier. Thanks
 
OP
H

holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
ADeadLois said:
30 minutes per test. I went over the questions and the answer explanations. I focused on why the answers I chose were right...or why they were wrong. This helped me get a "feel" about right and wrong answers looked like.

I am wondering how soon you saw results..will it take me all four weeks to improve one or two points?
 

MedChic

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
429
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ADeadLois said:
30 minutes per test. I went over the questions and the answer explanations. I focused on why the answers I chose were right...or why they were wrong. This helped me get a "feel" about right and wrong answers looked like.
Haha, when I go over my wrong answers I still come up with an argument for why my answer was the right answer but you can't argue with the scores; unfortunately that's verbal for ya
 

BXP

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
85
0
Status
Pre-Medical
holycow said:
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I am wondering if I am aiming too high for verbal. Right now, I am taking Kaplan and have been getting 8s and 9s (in verbal). I want to know if it is possible to get a 11 or 12 on the actual MCAT with only a month to go? I just bought the EK books but according to them, it will take me about a week just to get through one test! And i have 11 tests to go through! What should i do? Or should i just start aiming little lower? :confused:
Thanks for all your help.
Not sure why you are saying that it will take one week per test?

I started the EK book two weeks ago, and I do 3 a week, Tues/Thurs/Sat.

I will finish them in the next two weeks, at which time I will do start doing the same thing, only with full length practice exams.

Just gotta plow through, you know? It gets easier the more you do it.

I started the summer studying around 4 hours a day, and right now I'm doing 8. The pressure is kicking in too, with 5 weeks left, that it'll probably go up to 10 hours a day.

This website gives me the encouragement to keep going instead of wandering aimlessly not knowing why I'm subjecting myself to torture :confused:
 
OP
H

holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
BXP said:
Not sure why you are saying that it will take one week per test?

I started the EK book two weeks ago, and I do 3 a week, Tues/Thurs/Sat.

I will finish them in the next two weeks, at which time I will do start doing the same thing, only with full length practice exams.

Just gotta plow through, you know? It gets easier the more you do it.

I started the summer studying around 4 hours a day, and right now I'm doing 8. The pressure is kicking in too, with 5 weeks left, that it'll probably go up to 10 hours a day.

This website gives me the encouragement to keep going instead of wandering aimlessly not knowing why I'm subjecting myself to torture :confused:
Well, in the verbal book it says to do the test, then wait a day and come back to it to write the main idea, and then wait another day, and then come back and retry questions...do you do that? how do you go over your test? how long does it take you to go over the test?
 

BXP

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
85
0
Status
Pre-Medical
holycow said:
Well, in the verbal book it says to do the test, then wait a day and come back to it to write the main idea, and then wait another day, and then come back and retry questions...do you do that? how do you go over your test? how long does it take you to go over the test?
I don't like waiting to correct anything that I do. I correct my tests immediately after I take them, which takes me approximately 60 minutes. I only bother to read answer choices carefully if A) I got the problem wrong or B) It was a question that I felt was ambiguous. Otherwise, I will only glance over the explanations on questions that I got right and that I felt confident on in the first place.

So it takes about 2.5 hours to do the whole thing and correct it. Not too bad right?

And I really think you should do at least two a week, because the more practice you get for this section, the better.

Just carefully read WHY you got something wrong. Very very very important to know why you are getting things wrong.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anymore help. I'm currently at a 10/11, hoping to get consistent 12's by the real thing.
 
OP
H

holycow

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
123
0
Status
Pre-Medical
BXP said:
I don't like waiting to correct anything that I do. I correct my tests immediately after I take them, which takes me approximately 60 minutes. I only bother to read answer choices carefully if A) I got the problem wrong or B) It was a question that I felt was ambiguous. Otherwise, I will only glance over the explanations on questions that I got right and that I felt confident on in the first place.

So it takes about 2.5 hours to do the whole thing and correct it. Not too bad right?

And I really think you should do at least two a week, because the more practice you get for this section, the better.

Just carefully read WHY you got something wrong. Very very very important to know why you are getting things wrong.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anymore help. I'm currently at a 10/11, hoping to get consistent 12's by the real thing.

I see...so you dont really follow the EK method of going back to write down the main idea, then looking just at the questions and such.? just take it and then correct it as kaplan suggests? Do you underline and circle stuff?
 

BXP

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
85
0
Status
Pre-Medical
holycow said:
I see...so you dont really follow the EK method of going back to write down the main idea, then looking just at the questions and such.? just take it and then correct it as kaplan suggests? Do you underline and circle stuff?
I don't do the main idea and stuff. Basically, if it's not something I would conciously do WHILE taking the exam, then I don't do it afterwards either.

I circle KEY words, which follows the technique TPR gives. It makes you focus on changes of tone (But, except, yet, nonetheless, however...). Beyond that, I try to notice extremes (Never, Always, etc...) because those are often reversed to trick you in the answer choices.

Before I started the EK 11 tests, I did about 80 passages worth of TPR verbal. For those, I went through them VERY SLOWLY, probably 25 minutes a passage. The purpose was to train myself to be able to locate all the key words very reliably. After I could do that slowly, that's when I started to time myself and speed things up.
 

passion4atcg

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
110
0
Status
Pre-Medical
you can NEVER aim too high. set your goals as high as you can without making yourself feel anxious or nervous.
 

grapeflavorsoda

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
156
1
nyc
Status
holycow said:
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I am wondering if I am aiming too high for verbal. Right now, I am taking Kaplan and have been getting 8s and 9s (in verbal). I want to know if it is possible to get a 11 or 12 on the actual MCAT with only a month to go? I just bought the EK books but according to them, it will take me about a week just to get through one test! And i have 11 tests to go through! What should i do? Or should i just start aiming little lower? :confused:
Thanks for all your help.
mcat verbal is crapshooting, unless you are quite good to begin with.

you could be getting 8-9 on practice and it is possible to go upto 12 or 13. Converse of that is also possible.

just relax and continue praticing. As pasteur stated "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
 
About the Ads