Ain't you guys tired of medical student bull**** you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shengx12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ain't you guys tired of medical student bull**** you, like how easy DAT test compare to MCAT...And everything, and they acting like superior than anybody or something.
Anyways I am kind tired of this ****.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let it get to you. Does it really matter if our test is easier or harder than the MCAT? Who cares...I'd be happier if it were easier than it is now. Besides...I know lots of premed and med students. Some are my best friends, and they aren't all like that. And if it makes you feel better...any time they insult you, just remind those ultra smart ****s that they chose a career where they will have to do 80+ hour a week residencies for less than $40,000 for 2-6 years after we've already graduated and started our careers. How smart is that?

haha... nice post i think i'd do fairly well on the mcat now after studying for the dat, /w the passages they give you, it's not that much harder than the DAT, abiet there's a lot more thinking involved and trick answers to avoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
dontbam said:
it's not that much harder than the DAT, abiet there's a lot more thinking involved and trick answers to avoid.

That's what I love about dentistry...they aren't trying to trick us all the time.

The MCAT is a more challenging exam than the DAT. And FYI, the USMLE is much more challenging than the NBDE. This means nothing about a given person's intelligence. All it means is our knowledge of medicine is expected to be less than that of a medical student, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

drhobie7 said:
The MCAT is a more challenging exam than the DAT. And FYI, the USMLE is much more challenging than the NBDE. This means nothing about a given person's intelligence. All it means is our knowledge of medicine is expected to be less than that of a medical student, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

he's right. mcat is harder. becoming a doctor is harder. their boards are harder, their training is harder.

So tell me, who is smarter....the dentist or doctor?

gator1210 said:
he's right. mcat is harder. becoming a doctor is harder. their boards are harder, their training is harder.

we'll never know....we chose our career paths for reasons other than the mcat and boards (well, at least most of us have).

shengx12 said:
Ain't you guys tired of medical student bull**** you, like how easy DAT test compare to MCAT...And everything, and they acting like superior than anybody or something.
"You want to look into people's mouths?" I am tired of that and " you must be in it for the money". Could it be that I find the idea of helping people and also having time to devote to my family alluring enough. Anyway I would rather help someone with oral problems then problems occuring on/in other orifaces.

gator1210 said:

Not neccessarily. Dentists must have way better manual dexterity than a doctor. I believe that both fields are difficult but for different reasons. But then to do well on the MCAT is actually easier than the DAT since if the DAT is "easier", you have to pretty much ace that thing (as more people should perform well) while bs'ing bio on the MCAT will get you a 12... I definitely think scoring 20+ on the DAT requires more precision than scoring 30+ on the MCAT!

gator1210 said:

The dentist because they're not going to med school! :laugh:

But yeah to the OP, I get so tired of pre-med people thinking that pre-dents aren't smart enough to get into med school. We just don't want to go to med school. Let me tell you, even after you get accepted, you'll still get "oh gee...that's nice. Why aren't you going to med school?" :rolleyes:

gator1210 said:

I picked dentistry b/c I was fascinated by it. I don't think who's being smarter doesn't really matter. Personally, I've seen really smart ppl in both pre-meds and dents.

I work at a med school and i've seen some of the dumbest people get in here. and its a very high ranking school. you have to be much smarter to get into dental school because it is waaaaaaaay more competitive to get into d-school, think about it....most schools only have 100 spots where med schools have like 200-300, and how many more med schools are there out there?!?!?

the only person in the med field that can relate to dentistry are surgeons b/c they have to have to have the precision we do....how hard is it to say yup you have another sinus infection here is a z-pack. and don't say the schooling is harder the first 2 years we take identical classes plus we have sim lab

dmfDMD said:
and don't say the schooling is harder the first 2 years we take identical classes plus we have sim lab

Why in God's name would you spend 20k to learn about the fascial compartments of the leg? What possible purpose could that serve for a dentist?

If dent school really does match teh med school course load, then you guys are getting cheated out of thousands of dollars. It would be similar to med schools requiring that we spend tuition money learning how to extract teeth. Totally irrelevant to our profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Because it's cheaper for the schools to combine med and dent students into one anatomy class?

Come on, it's pretty well known that dental students have to work twice as hard the first two years of school.

The med and dent students have nearly identical schedules, plus the dent students get pre-clinicals.

gator1210 said:
becoming a doctor is harder. their training is harder.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. When you all become 3rd and 4th years you'll understand why dental school is so stressfull. It's because you have a long list of requirements to complete to graduate and you depend on your patients to get it done. You run the show. This is different from medical school where you have a low level of responsibility. And for the record, it's widely known that oral surgeons are the smartest doctors. :D

gator1210 said:

By "doctor" I assume you mean "physician". The dentist is doctor as well, which is why dental school teaches complete human anatomy -- because there is a systemic health concern dentists must face. Why does an ENT have to go through the complete medical education just to work on the neck and up? Medicine -- all branches -- is concerned with human health. Dentistry is no exception.

And I know "gunners" in both fields who really just aren't that smart. Some med students would be really poor dents and the other way around.

This is the kind of thread that is INSPIRING to me! I mean, that fact that pre-med / pre-dent students must argue over this stuff really makes me feel comfortable with my chances of getting into a med-school of my choice. I can't imagine that the competition is as fierce as everyone makes it out to be if THIS is the topic of choice for debate.

It doesn't take a "rocket scientist" (k. lame pun) to figure out that a person can make one career choice over another that has nothing to do with intelligence. Face it, there are brilliant people and not-so-brilliant people in both professions. You don't have to be a genius to break into either. All you need is a reasonble level of intelligence, strong resolve, and great study skills.

MacGyver said:
Why in God's name would you spend 20k to learn about the fascial compartments of the leg? What possible purpose could that serve for a dentist?

If dent school really does match teh med school course load, then you guys are getting cheated out of thousands of dollars. It would be similar to med schools requiring that we spend tuition money learning how to extract teeth. Totally irrelevant to our profession.
This might be the first time in history I've agreed with MacGyver, but he's absolutely right. Let go of the inferiority complexes, guys; dental school is plenty hard enough as it is. ;)

aphistis said:
This might be the first time in history I've agreed with MacGyver, but he's absolutely right. Let go of the inferiority complexes, guys; dental school is plenty hard enough as it is. ;)

Even though I'll be entering UCLA dental school this Fall, I gotta admit I still have this inferiority complex. No matter how much people congratulated me on my acheivement, I was still not FULLY proud of myself. (or is it an Asian thing?) Sometimes deep down inside, I felt MAYBE I was taking the easy way out by not giving MCAT a chance. Regardless of how little I was inspired to pursue medicine, not taking the MCAT made me feel like I was surrendering to my own cowardice.
Although I am sincerely attracted to dentistry, I just dont have the confidence to say that I can devote 100% the rest of my life to this medical specialty. After all, one could only observe dentistry so much as an undergrad. How much can I really know about my own dexterity until I meet that very first patient? What happens if my hands are clumsy? Would I still have enough alternatives as a dentist?
Sigh, what a bunch of crap. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Go Bruins. =]

I think a Dental career is a much better choice than a Medical one because you have less school/training to complete, more flexibility with work schedules, and you get free toothbrushes!

I know a few medical students that wish they would have done Dental....I am so glad I will not be one of them!!!

tofufob said:
Even though I'll be entering UCLA dental school this Fall, I gotta admit I still have this inferiority complex. No matter how much people congratulated me on my acheivement, I was still not FULLY proud of myself. (or is it an Asian thing?) Sometimes deep down inside, I felt MAYBE I was taking the easy way out by not giving MCAT a chance. Regardless of how little I was inspired to pursue medicine, not taking the MCAT made me feel like I was surrendering to my own cowardice.
Although I am sincerely attracted to dentistry, I just dont have the confidence to say that I can devote 100% the rest of my life to this medical specialty. After all, one could only observe dentistry so much as an undergrad. How much can I really know about my own dexterity until I meet that very first patient? What happens if my hands are clumsy? Would I still have enough alternatives as a dentist?

IT is an asian thing!!! I'm just gonna guess you're Chinese because you use the word "cowardice" in the sense of destroying your pride. Even my parents are questioning why I would choose dentistry over medicine too (so you want to look into ppls mouths etc.) and how is not writing the MCAT taking the easy way out? You actually had summers free to do nothing at all instead of studying your ass off for some crazy test (It's not fun, hard and everyone was INTENSE). In response to your dexterity comment, the american DAT does not test for it (why I do not know) so there's no way to gauge your abilities until you're in d-school. But I don't see how you can say that you can't dedicate your life to this since you somehow convinced the adcoms of this fact during your interview as you got into UCLA. Best of luck though!

I couldn't care less about which is more difficult or who is more intelligent. I like dentistry better -- bottom line. The people who are lacking in some way will always try to belittle your goals. They need to message their ego and feel special. I bet many would-be dentist do the same.

i teach the mcat and the dats and the mcat is MUCH harder. however, i agree that some med students do talk down on dentists...in fact my sisters bf is a surgeon and he talks a lot of crap about dentists. but who cares....we should just be proud of our profession and be confident in our abilities.

shengx12 said:
DAT is easier than MCAT.
NDBE I is waaaaaaaaay easier than USMLE Step I.
I'd say a 90 on the NDBE I translates to a fail on step I.

But still, you're right, why comment on this unless you got something to prove. However, I've personally never heard one pre-med or medical student comment on the relative difficulty/easiness of the tests.

armorshell said:
^ Because it's cheaper for the schools to combine med and dent students into one anatomy class?

Come on, it's pretty well known that dental students have to work twice as hard the first two years of school.

The med and dent students have nearly identical schedules, plus the dent students get pre-clinicals.

So what did you think of the first two years of dental...oh wait your still an undergraduate....

I hope your comment was sarcastic.

This topic is brought up all the time.

It boils down to: There are easier and harder aspects in both fields. The only zinger is that dentists make more than most cardiologists. :smuggrin:

You crazy pre-dents... why don't you all go brush your teeth.

ChymeChancellor said:
You crazy pre-dents... why don't you all go brush your teeth.

Wow, how original. I certainly hope your GPA and MCATs are good, because if you're banking on your personality and creativity getting you into med school then you may need to start thinking about getting your realtor's license. Don't worry though...I'm sure your husband will dig the red blazer.

HermeytheElf said:
Wow, how original. I certainly hope your GPA and MCATs are good, because if you're banking on your personality and creativity getting you into med school then you may need to start thinking about getting your realtor's license.

:laugh: :laugh:

prez_al said:
IT is an asian thing!!! I'm just gonna guess you're Chinese because you use the word "cowardice" in the sense of destroying your pride. Even my parents are questioning why I would choose dentistry over medicine too (so you want to look into ppls mouths etc.) and how is not writing the MCAT taking the easy way out? You actually had summers free to do nothing at all instead of studying your ass off for some crazy test (It's not fun, hard and everyone was INTENSE). In response to your dexterity comment, the american DAT does not test for it (why I do not know) so there's no way to gauge your abilities until you're in d-school. But I don't see how you can say that you can't dedicate your life to this since you somehow convinced the adcoms of this fact during your interview as you got into UCLA. Best of luck though!

I'm gonna guess you are Chinese too lol, what's wrong with using cowardice, Jude Law did many times in Closer.

tofufob said:

Go Bruins. =]

I can see your point b/c I'm an Asian, too. I know how many Asian parents are so caught up with making their children something "grand". By that I mean, growing up, I've seen parents pushing their kids into medicine or law simply b/c they believe they are the "best" jobs out there. Dentistry is not totally out of the options but many people regard it as inferior to straight medicine. You probably have seen enormous pressure on Asian students to enter "elite" schools like Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, UCLA, etc. I'm not trying to condemn that mindset. I understand many parents try that out of their genuine love for their children. Besides,I also had this mindset and I am sure I'm not free of it now. But when my friends asked me about what is "better" b/n medicine and dentistry or whatever is out there as "top-notch" jobs for Asians. I simply tell them whatever fits their passion and talents the best. If you love being a trashman (speaking in an extreme manner), that person better be a trashman than anything else in the world. I have seen numerous kids who screw up their lives b/c they were compelled by this "elite" mindset. I sincerely hope you won't let other ppl's pride determine pride of your life. Nobody knows for sure what the future holds. You just gotta do what you gotta do based on the best judgment of current circumstances. I think you have chosen a very fine profession especially since you yourself said you are sincerely attracted to dentistry.

If it makes any of you pre-dents feel better - I had a bunch of 3rd year internal medicine residents tell me this weekend they wished they had gone back and chosen dental over med. It all boiled down to lifestyle for them. They realized too late that it is taking them 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship to get to the same lifestyle we have right after graduating dental school.

Asian parents will get over it, don't worry. Just marry someone with credentials on paper even better than yours, that way your parents can brag about how great their new son/daughter-in-law is. My dad harrased me for a long time about why I didn't go to med school, now he just wants me to hurry up and get married. :laugh:

all the uptight premeddies are having a field-day with the campaign against the "silly pre-dents" over in the pre-allo forum. i guess id be pretty grouchy if i had 34957934579375984 years of school left. :sigh:

griffin04 said:
If it makes any of you pre-dents feel better - I had a bunch of 3rd year internal medicine residents tell me this weekend they wished they had gone back and chosen dental over med. It all boiled down to lifestyle for them. They realized too late that it is taking them 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship to get to the same lifestyle we have right after graduating dental school.

Asian parents will get over it, don't worry. Just marry someone with credentials on paper even better than yours, that way your parents can brag about how great their new son/daughter-in-law is. My dad harrased me for a long time about why I didn't go to med school, now he just wants me to hurry up and get married. :laugh:

Honestly, even as a fellow pre-dent I have to say that I have a certain respect for MDs that I hold for no other profession, even dentists. The reason is that they devote their life - blood, sweat and tears - to the study of medicine and as a result they have the capacity to use their immense knowledge to save lives.

I'm a non-traditional pre-dental student and at the age of 27 I feel like it's too late for me to start medicine. But if I could do it all over again, I'd start a pre-med program straight from freshman year college and aim for ENT.

This is not to knock dentistry, because obviously I LOVE dentistry being that I am choosing to committ my life to it. Dentists are also extremely intellegent people who work to better the lives of their patients, certainly very commendable and respectable! Dentists might have it easier than doctors, but definately not easy! Our pre-requisite classes are evidence of this, and so is the coursework we will have during dental school.

In my opinion they are both WONDERFUL fields. If a pre-med knocks you down for being a pre-dent, they are obviously not very secure in themselves. Ughh... I hate cocky people. We pre-dents should make a pact to refuse to treat those cocky pre-meds on the grounds that if its so easy, they should do thier own dental work!

DMD-2-B said:
In my opinion they are both WONDERFUL fields. If a pre-med knocks you down for being a pre-dent, they are obviously not very secure in themselves. Ughh... I hate cocky people. We pre-dents should make a pact to refuse to treat those cocky pre-meds on the grounds that if its so easy, they should do thier own dental work!

Well said, my friend... well said... :thumbup:

DMD-2-B said:
Ughh... I hate cocky people. We pre-dents should make a pact to refuse to treat those cocky pre-meds on the grounds that if its so easy, they should do thier own dental work!

Well said! Oh, I also read the pre-med posts.... they're pretty lame and lack any originality. One wrote how looking in people's mouths are gross... my response to that, "I hope you like rectal probing and holding a patient's scrotum while they cough". Also, we definitely need a pact, cuz its on!!!! :laugh:

But seriously, both professions are awesome in their own right and in some ways they intertwine, it depends on what people are comfortable with.

amsie said:
all the uptight premeddies are having a field-day with the campaign against the "silly pre-dents" over in the pre-allo forum. i guess id be pretty grouchy if i had 34957934579375984 years of school left. :sigh:

Oops! :laugh:

In my opinion they are both WONDERFUL fields. If a pre-med knocks you down for being a pre-dent, they are obviously not very secure in themselves.
Same for us.

I hope that by both sides reading this we can all come to the same conclusion.

gator1210 said:

(Linked here from a med forum)

:laugh: :laugh: good point! Although I think you should have added a bit about salaries being similar to hammer that home.

why am I doing med school?

shengx12 said:

Yikes your inferiority complex is clearly shining through!!!!
Get over it and move on!
:thumbdown:

jtsai256 said:
Well said, my friend... well said... :thumbup:

no worries...my teeth can last longer than my heart...of course all I have to do is brush and floss and use my own damn fluoride :laugh:

I can't think of ONE time this has ever been an issue for me. It wasn't an issue when I was the odd pre-dental in a sea of pre-meds and it isn't now as a dental student sharing a school with med students.

I don't think this is necessarily a pre-med / pre-dent thing. You are all just really insecure or hanging out with losers.

dmfDMD said:
....how hard is it to say yup you have another sinus infection here is a z-pack.

oh come now, that's a bit ridiculous and you know it. How hard is it to say "floss"?

1st of all not all physicians do primary care, 2nd of all giving a z-pack for every sinus infection is wrong. You have to know that 90% of sinus infections are viral and antibiotics aren't indicated, azithromycin is a terrible antibiotic to treat the common causes of bacterial sinusitis, is this really sinusitis or, say, an ENT tumor?, if its not viral is it the common bacteria or a more serious infection (mucor is often deadly), does this person with sinusitis also have hypertension? diabetes? a malignant melanoma?

And those are the "easy" cases.

riceman04 said:
no worries...my teeth can last longer than my heart..

now to be fair to my dental collegues, without proper dental care that's probably not true...

velo said:
now to be fair to my dental collegues, without proper dental care that's probably not true...

true...but it easier to take care of your teeth than it is your heart

gator1210 said:

In my experience, it is the girl who wants to be a math teacher. Seriously, at my school, lots of people wanting to be teachers (especially math majors) blow away pretty much all of the pre-med students in terms of intelligence.

DMD-2-B said:
Honestly, even as a fellow pre-dent I have to say that I have a certain respect for MDs that I hold for no other profession, even dentists. The reason is that they devote their life - blood, sweat and tears - to the study of medicine and as a result they have the capacity to use their immense knowledge to save lives.

Here here!!! We should all be very greatful there are those kind souls out there that give up so much to become doctors. And I hope they appreciate what we do to. This isn't a competition...

DMD-2-B said:
I'm a non-traditional pre-dental student and at the age of 27 I feel like it's too late for me to start medicine.

Have you seen some of the non-trads applying to med school? Some are well into their 30's, and there's a few even in their 40's...

I have respect for most professions that require more than 4 years of undergrad work. And some that don't require that much. Depends on the person, I suppose.

Knickerbocker said:
In my experience, it is the girl who wants to be a math teacher. Seriously, at my school, lots of people wanting to be teachers (especially math majors) blow away pretty much all of the pre-med students in terms of intelligence.
In my experience, the ones who are interested in teaching are the idiots. I mean, of course, you can't generalize; but yes, people who go into teaching are stupid (on a variety of levels). Engineers on the other hand, I think there's a bunch of smart cookies in that group; if you want to generalize.

But who are we kidding; guys, let's stop taking jabs at doctors, or dentists, or whatever. The ones we should all be beating on are the dental hygienists/assistants and nurses. :thumbup:

earthcap said:
I sincerely hope you won't let other ppl's pride determine pride of your life. Nobody knows for sure what the future holds. You just gotta do what you gotta do based on the best judgment of current circumstances. I think you have chosen a very fine profession especially since you yourself said you are sincerely attracted to dentistry.

Thanks to the people who've made a response to my comments. I definitely appreciated your feedback. However, just to make a defense for my parents. They are actually very open-minded people. They've never pressured me into pursuing medicine nor have they ever questioned my intent to do dentistry. They'd be just as proud of me if I were an archaeologist (True Quote).

The elusive "inferiority complex" comes completely from within myself. It's just simply a feeling that maybe I had not fully utilized my potentials and worked up the courage to face the most difficult challenge at the time (in this case, it was staying away from the MCAT). While we can defend all we want on how difficult dental curriculum can get, who are we to judge how easy med student's 3rd and 4th years are, or how well our curriculum could very well prepare us for the USMLE?

Like earthcap said, we are all just doing things based on the best judgement of current circumstances. I'm just trying to stay content and look forward to the future. And not let these doubts slip into my mind again until late at night or when I'm really wasted. :laugh:

For the record, I consider dentists to be a god-send. 100 years ago, your teeth would basically rot until they fell out and the pain from infections, bleeding, etc could last for years.

Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced was due to dental problems (human teeth are an evolutionary blunder in my opinion) and dentists were my only saviors.

Rock on blessed pre-dental forumites!

the negative 1 said:
For the record, I consider dentists to be a god-send. 100 years ago, your teeth would basically rot until they fell out and the pain from infections, bleeding, etc could last for years.

Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced was due to dental problems (human teeth are an evolutionary blunder in my opinion) and dentists were my only saviors.

Rock on blessed pre-dental forumites!

Human teeth are designed to last as long as we're designed to live. Us docs went and messed with the life expectancy so we need our blessed dentists to mess with the tooth expectancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.