Compwarrior

5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2010
Utah
Status
Medical Student
After months of reading/researching, asking questions, calling people who have done or are doing it, I've decided to apply for the Air Force HPSP.

Unfortunately, with all my research, I forgot to check for deadlines. When I called today, I was told that the deadline was around Jan. 18th (when the "board" meets) but that it would be prudent to have everything done by the 10th. The recruiter did mention that the "board" might meet in March but made it sound as though if I didn't get everything done now, that it was hopeless because the March meeting is only tentative. Is this true? or is he just trying to get me to sign up sooner rather than later?

Also, he asked if I was on any medication. I told him that I have taken exactly three Accutane (generic) pills in the last six months. He told me that I would have to have a medical pre-screen before I can have my physical done. He also said that I may have to wait six months from my last pill depending on the decision made. Has anyone had this problem and not been able to apply? How long does it take to pre-screen?

The Accutane thing seems somewhat silly (for lack of a better term)... I've worked at a Dermatology Clinic for years, we see literally thousands and thousands of patients on Accutane; and to be honest, we very rarely (i.e. 1/1000 or less) see any side effects besides dryness and bloody noses.

AF M4

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
After months of reading/researching, asking questions, calling people who have done or are doing it, I've decided to apply for the Air Force HPSP.

Unfortunately, with all my research, I forgot to check for deadlines. When I called today, I was told that the deadline was around Jan. 18th (when the "board" meets) but that it would be prudent to have everything done by the 10th. The recruiter did mention that the "board" might meet in March but made it sound as though if I didn't get everything done now, that it was hopeless because the March meeting is only tentative. Is this true? or is he just trying to get me to sign up sooner rather than later?

Also, he asked if I was on any medication. I told him that I have taken exactly three Accutane (generic) pills in the last six months. He told me that I would have to have a medical pre-screen before I can have my physical done. He also said that I may have to wait six months from my last pill depending on the decision made. Has anyone had this problem and not been able to apply? How long does it take to pre-screen?

The Accutane thing seems somewhat silly (for lack of a better term)... I've worked at a Dermatology Clinic for years, we see literally thousands and thousands of patients on Accutane; and to be honest, we very rarely (i.e. 1/1000 or less) see any side effects besides dryness and bloody noses.
Ah, you smell a rat. There is hope for you then. Do some more research; missing whatever deadline they set may be the best career move you ever made.