Air Force COT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But don't worry, it's probably a hundred times less strenuous than the real officer candidate school (~13 weeks). A recruiter said that he hasn't known of anyone who has failed COT yet.

Even if you failed, I'd bet my craptastic stipend that they'd find a waiver to fix it.

Members don't see this ad.

jmruby- I'm going to USUHS next year. I'm all unconditional and everything ;) We have to go to COT, too, but I think ours is at a different time than yours. Anyway, that's how I know already.

NJEMT- I think most officers have to worry about the physical tests more than we do. Their class rank figures into their future job, and part of the class rank is determined by scores on teh fitness tests and PT. But for us the match is so far removed from COT that it won't matter. On exception I can think of is if you're a real spoilsport and have a negative attitude towards doing the PT. That could go in some permant record type of thing and make you look bad. My suggestion is to go to a rock climbing gym and start monkeying around :)

~Alli

2 months is a lot of time for building upper body strength. Stop whining and get to the gym :)

Sooo I have heard that we really don't need mess dress. Are some classes forced to buy it at COT? Wondering if there is any way of escaping a big payment for something I wont use.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo I have heard that we really don't need mess dress. Are some classes forced to buy it at COT? Wondering if there is any way of escaping a big payment for something I wont use.....

I would probably wait till you get there to see if you'll need it. There are also places close to the base where you can rent it if you don't want to drop all that cash.

I would probably wait till you get there to see if you'll need it. There are also places close to the base where you can rent it if you don't want to drop all that cash.

Awesome, sounds good. Would you suggest buying most of our other gear prior to COT if possible?

Awesome, sounds good. Would you suggest buying most of our other gear prior to COT if possible?

If you have the opportunity, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I was pretty clueless and didn't have anyone to help me out. I didn't want to end up buying the wrong things.

If you do decide to buy everything at COT, make sure you get there early in the check in window, so that they take you to AAFES before most others get there. That way you can make sure they'll have everything you need.

It sounds like I might be down at Maxwell with some of you, albeit for ASBC instead of COT. Just to give you a few tips... First off, it is going to be busy busy in the SOC/OTS complex with ASBC, OTS (both COT & BOT) and AFROTC field training going on at the same time. Expect the charlie foxtrots; there will be a lot of hassle, a lot of hurry up and wait, and a lot of frustrated staff members. Just throttle back and take a deep breath in those moments. Also, remember it's Alabama in the summertime. Prepare yourself for some sweet tan lines, i.e. not just the farmers tan, but a V on your chest and forehead from the flightcap and v-neck tshirts.

In regards to uniforms, buy your ABUs now and get them from a base or AAFES online. All of the sizes are nonstandard, so be prepared to try them on repeatedly. And you might not find everything at your first base. Case in point, tomorrow I'm going for the third time to try and get the rest of what I need for 2 sets of ABUs (1st time: 1 shirt, rank, socks & boots, 2nd time: 1 hat, 3d time (hopefully): 1 shirt, and 2 pants). Keep in mind that if you buy them from some website online, the base alterations shop MIGHT NOT sew on nametapes and rank. And if you go offbase, it will be very very pricey and they will probably screw it up. The things you want to keep your blues shirt looking good are called shirt garters or shirt stays. Buy a couple pairs, they sell them in clothing sales too. Also, you'll want to get the wide velcro boot blousing straps for your ABUs. And as for the PT's, well good luck with sizes. They are all sorts of screwed up. Just try and find a combo that works for you.

Hey everyone! Im heading to COT at the end of this month 26 May. I know that I get active duty pay as a 2nd LT while at COT. But I was just curious, do we receive it all in one amount after we complete the training or are we paid on normal pay days which are twice a month?

Hey everyone! Im heading to COT at the end of this month 26 May. I know that I get active duty pay as a 2nd LT while at COT. But I was just curious, do we receive it all in one amount after we complete the training or are we paid on normal pay days which are twice a month?

You should be paid every 2 weeks, but it might take a while to get the first check. I think I got mine a couple of weeks into COT.

You should be paid every 2 weeks, but it might take a while to get the first check. I think I got mine a couple of weeks into COT.

hey jolie, can we bug you for a list of things to be prepared for, what to bring, at COT (much like the navy ODS one a couple threads down.)? it would be much appreciated :) I got the Jun 29-Jul 31 date. Gotta get ready for some humidity...

Hey River Rat,
I'll see you there :) I'm not a student doctor though, I'm a nurse but found the best information on this forum (thanks to all of you). I've got myself a personal trainer to try and get through the obstacle course, but as of right now, it looks like I will be taking a nice dip in the bacteria infested water under the monkey bars :) Oh well, lucky for me that it will be swelteringly hot, I guess!

River rat - I'll post with info after my first COT session for you. Sorry you didn't get the first one - I know you wanted it. Hopefully the humidity won't be too bad!

At least you'll get all kinds of updated info from us in the first session. I have a few people at my school wanting to touch base with me as soon as my COT ends and before theirs starts.

hey jolie, can we bug you for a list of things to be prepared for, what to bring, at COT (much like the navy ODS one a couple threads down.)? it would be much appreciated :) I got the Jun 29-Jul 31 date. Gotta get ready for some humidity...

There's a good list on the COT site if you can find it.

Most everything you'll need you can buy at COT. Just make sure to pack like you're going on a week's vacation. I'd say to bring that amount of civilian clothes. Obviously, you'll need more toiletries though. Ladies, bring hair colored ties and pins. You'll be required to pin your hair appropriately from the first day if you have long hair. If you're fair skinned, definitely bring sunblock.

A laptop can be helpful. An iPod would be nice for studying. A USB key helps when you have printer issues.

I'd also bring snacks like granola/energy bars.

I would also bring 2 pairs of running shoes: one good pair for PT and another crappy pair for obstacle courses that you don't mind getting dirty/wet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey River Rat,
I'll see you there :) I'm not a student doctor though, I'm a nurse but found the best information on this forum (thanks to all of you). I've got myself a personal trainer to try and get through the obstacle course, but as of right now, it looks like I will be taking a nice dip in the bacteria infested water under the monkey bars :) Oh well, lucky for me that it will be swelteringly hot, I guess!

I didn't make it through the monkey bars and I'm sure there will be others that can't make it either. Don't worry about it. Just try your best.

a little off topic but, i went to go purchase uniforms today and they didn't have the officers blue service coat in my size. is there an online retailer that I can purchase this bad boy at?

a little off topic but, i went to go purchase uniforms today and they didn't have the officers blue service coat in my size. is there an online retailer that I can purchase this bad boy at?

Wow...service dress in the middle of July at Maxwell! That's gonna be hot! I'll go ahead and assume that you've got an ID (since you got on base) or at least know someone who does. You can always go to the AAFES website (I think aafes.com) and order just about everything they have in store. I think the return policy is pretty good too. Personally, it might be ok to just wait until you get to Maxwell before you get the service coat (although you'll need to have a few alterations done, they're probably experts!).

Good luck!!

It sounds like I might be down at Maxwell with some of you, albeit for ASBC instead of COT. Just to give you a few tips... First off, it is going to be busy busy in the SOC/OTS complex with ASBC, OTS (both COT & BOT) and AFROTC field training going on at the same time. Expect the charlie foxtrots; there will be a lot of hassle, a lot of hurry up and wait, and a lot of frustrated staff members. Just throttle back and take a deep breath in those moments. Also, remember it's Alabama in the summertime. Prepare yourself for some sweet tan lines, i.e. not just the farmers tan, but a V on your chest and forehead from the flightcap and v-neck tshirts.

In regards to uniforms, buy your ABUs now and get them from a base or AAFES online. All of the sizes are nonstandard, so be prepared to try them on repeatedly. And you might not find everything at your first base. Case in point, tomorrow I'm going for the third time to try and get the rest of what I need for 2 sets of ABUs (1st time: 1 shirt, rank, socks & boots, 2nd time: 1 hat, 3d time (hopefully): 1 shirt, and 2 pants). Keep in mind that if you buy them from some website online, the base alterations shop MIGHT NOT sew on nametapes and rank. And if you go offbase, it will be very very pricey and they will probably screw it up. The things you want to keep your blues shirt looking good are called shirt garters or shirt stays. Buy a couple pairs, they sell them in clothing sales too. Also, you'll want to get the wide velcro boot blousing straps for your ABUs. And as for the PT's, well good luck with sizes. They are all sorts of screwed up. Just try and find a combo that works for you.

Ok, I'm confused. Why are you going to ASBC??? Are you going to med school, or doing something else? I sure wouldn't mind getting paid for 6 weeks of nothing!!

Wow...service dress in the middle of July at Maxwell! That's gonna be hot! I'll go ahead and assume that you've got an ID (since you got on base) or at least know someone who does. You can always go to the AAFES website (I think aafes.com) and order just about everything they have in store. I think the return policy is pretty good too. Personally, it might be ok to just wait until you get to Maxwell before you get the service coat (although you'll need to have a few alterations done, they're probably experts!).

Good luck!!

yea, the service coat isn't needed until the very last week. you'll have time to purchase it and have it altered before then without a problem.

Even if you failed, I'd bet my craptastic stipend that they'd find a waiver to fix it.

Guy in my flight (chaplain candidate) failed every COT exam despite LOTS of extra help. He graduated with us anyway, despite the fact that it would've been kinder to simply fail him out of the program.

So I'm currently packing for COT since I am leaving on Tuesday and I don't want to pack too much. I am trying to pack the bare minimum. For anyone that has gone before, what did everyone seem to have when you arrived? Just a duffel bag? I don't want to arrive and look like I have a whole lot..

So I'm currently packing for COT since I am leaving on Tuesday and I don't want to pack too much. I am trying to pack the bare minimum. For anyone that has gone before, what did everyone seem to have when you arrived? Just a duffel bag? I don't want to arrive and look like I have a whole lot..

You'll have a whole closet to put your stuff in. Some people brought suitcases. Some brought duffles. It depends on what you want to bring.

The only thing is you'll be coming out with a lot more crap (which you can fit in the duffle you'll purchase at COT). My family didn't come to graduation, so it was me carrying it all out to the car. It kinda sucked in July with my car parked super far away.

Look forward to seeing everyone in the May class in a couple of days! I spoke with an upperclassman at my med school, and he passed on some valuable advice. When we get there - apparently we are going to be gathered in an auditorium, and the staff introduces themselves - it seems very summer camp etc. Five seconds later, they will literally be screaming in your faces. Don't let it catch you offguard, he said. Also, he woke up incredibly early the first day in order to not be caught unawares by the staff, but it still wasn't early enough. They banged on his door, and it scared him to death bc he was in the shower. He scrambled to throw his clothes on, and this was still waayy before the scheduled wake-up time. So keep that in mind - extra early can't hurt.

I'm going for a run, and then I'm going to pack too. I'm starting to get pretty nervous. My friend said that after the initial screaming - it was pretty decent. Each class does a video at the end, which is cool to look at. He said the obstacle course was fun, and so was the field event. Just gotta get through the harsh transition they put you in.

See you guys there! Thanks again Jolie South and all others who gave advice. I know I appreciated it a ton. I'm seriously going to be drinking some pepto tomorrow trying to calm my nerves still!

Look forward to seeing everyone in the May class in a couple of days! I spoke with an upperclassman at my med school, and he passed on some valuable advice. When we get there - apparently we are going to be gathered in an auditorium, and the staff introduces themselves - it seems very summer camp etc. Five seconds later, they will literally be screaming in your faces. Don't let it catch you offguard, he said. Also, he woke up incredibly early the first day in order to not be caught unawares by the staff, but it still wasn't early enough. They banged on his door, and it scared him to death bc he was in the shower. He scrambled to throw his clothes on, and this was still waayy before the scheduled wake-up time. So keep that in mind - extra early can't hurt.

My experience was that they start screaming at you from the moment you drop your luggage off. They don't waste any time. Just make sure sir/ma'am is the first thing out of your mouth and try not to laugh.

Yea, they will beat on your doors the first day. We had a stepwise getting ready thing. "get clothes on and get out here." once everyone's out, "you have one minute to brush your teeth." everyone comes back out. it continues until you have all your crap ready to go for the day. I remember that I had set my alarm early and they came before it went off.

The first day or two is the worst part of COT. Just get through that and you'll be fine.

So I'm filling out the paperwork they suggest doing ahead of time - questions for you.

Do I want a leadership position at COT? Will this benefit me in any way?

Do the copies of orders I make really have to be front/back copies? The copy I was emailed by AFIT was obviously not (web doc), and if I could just print the copies off rather than go to Kinkos to get them front/back copied on the copy machine -t hat would make my tomorrow less busy.

How much civilian clothes do I really need? I'm packing conservative dress (polos, plain shirts etc.) - is this spot on?

Can I Skype with my webcam to my husband during personal time/weekends? Should I bring that with me or would they frown on that?

For the Rubbermaid container - how big does it need to be bc my packing list doesn't say. Is this for the granola bars etc. food?

Also, the info we are supposed to know in the OTS manual is overwhelming. I'm trying to read through it, but what exactly should I report knowing? There is so much i.e. even down to the diagram of how my plate should look at dinner.

THANKS in advance!

So I'm filling out the paperwork they suggest doing ahead of time - questions for you.

Do I want a leadership position at COT? Will this benefit me in any way?

Do the copies of orders I make really have to be front/back copies? The copy I was emailed by AFIT was obviously not (web doc), and if I could just print the copies off rather than go to Kinkos to get them front/back copied on the copy machine -t hat would make my tomorrow less busy.

How much civilian clothes do I really need? I'm packing conservative dress (polos, plain shirts etc.) - is this spot on?

Can I Skype with my webcam to my husband during personal time/weekends? Should I bring that with me or would they frown on that?

For the Rubbermaid container - how big does it need to be bc my packing list doesn't say. Is this for the granola bars etc. food?

Also, the info we are supposed to know in the OTS manual is overwhelming. I'm trying to read through it, but what exactly should I report knowing? There is so much i.e. even down to the diagram of how my plate should look at dinner.

THANKS in advance!

Put yes to the leadership. I was advised to do that by my flight commander since that crap will go in your file. I guess it looks bad if you're an officer who doesn't want a leadership position. You will most likely have a flight officer position while at COT. My advice is go with athletic officer. That's what I did. I'd avoid FOIC, assistant FOIC, or standardization officer at all costs. They are a PITA.

Civilian clothes . . .you probably won't need many and you can wear what you want. You won't be wearing it in the COT complex. I don't know about the skype thing. You'll be using their internet, so I'd probably just stick with cellphones. You can call all you want during your free time.

Rubbermaid container . . . you can probably just buy at AAFES when you get there and no one is going to inspect your room anyways to make sure that you keep your food in it. If I had to guess, 15" by 10" or around that size would be appropriate.

As far as OIs, it'd be helpful to know it ahead of time, but it really doesn't make any sense until you get there. Some stuff they'll specifically go over with you, like dining procedures.

Last edited:
Incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!

This is going to sound random, but if you are female with mid-shortish hair, I'd cut it so it will be above your collar. You can do whatever the hell you want with it too, so long as it's not in your face.

This is opposed to women with long hair who are always fidgeting, forced to tie it up in buns, pin loose pieces, etc.

My hair was comb and go. :thumbup: My roommate always got busted by female flight commanders for her hair because it wasn't tight enough or there were pieces loose.

I actually did that Saturday! My hair was on the short side, but I had my stylist do a shorter version of it, and it definitely meets reg. I did not want to be forced into a bun or have to deal with pins. Thanks for the info!!

I have a quick question,
how do I get to the base once I am at the airport.
Do I need to call OTS to see if they are going to have a bus ready for me?
Also, when time do we get done on the last day? My flight's at 5:20PM on the last day.
Do you think I have enough time to make it to the airport? Thank you.

Don't know about the airport thing, but I was told graduation was at 10am, and we would be done by 12, so you should have plenty of time to make your flight out. Safe travels getting there tomorrow! I'm driving in, and I'm pretty nervous about navigating to the right building when I get on base. I'm terrible with directions!

Hope you guys have fun. It really is possible......probably after the first week or so when you're ability to smile returns :)
Nah, no worries!
My class was last fall in the midst of the return to the 'hardcore' COT and yes, it was a bit overdone, etc. but, frankly, all the tiny crap you'll be forced to become obsessed with will actually end up making the time go by faster! At least it did for me.
You will be doing all the DFAC minutiae you're reading about and eating in silence for three weeks, etc. but don't worry about that big ole book anymore. You'll get a pocket sized version tomorrow that will contain everything you need to know. All you need to know, seriously, tomorrow is don't be a giggler, smirker or eye-roller and say Sir/Ma'am at your first interaction w/staff. Will probably be just outside the dorm and they're watching you as you follow the rules posted outside so play it pretty straight once you're on campus at all....
OH, don't worry about the drive. Maxwell really isn't very big and I think there's only two gates which then require maybe one each right/then left.

And for the flyer, you'll likely find that there are more than a few fellow students on your puddle jumper flight. No need to call OTS, just share cabs. It'll be pretty easy to suss each other out. Keep the receipt if ya want reimbursement.
Have a good time, guys. It's definitely an experience but even I, the ceaselessly bearing-impaired have some good memories. Damn, I about peed my pants when someone reminded me about the introduction of the FC's in the theater. That was truly classic and I'm actually a little bummed that you will know that's coming. I'd keep it to myself so you can enjoy the displays of panic that will ensue. Trust....

How do I not remember the auditorium? weird.

Anyways, I have one more piece of advice. Wear comfortable clothes on the first day. They say something about dressing nicely, but just don't look trashy and you'll be ok. You'll be paraded around to AAFES and such and it will get hot. I wore some loose khakis and a V neck shirt.

Seriously - thanks guys. Period. SDN has been a lifesaver with all things Air Force. I think I am finally ponying up and donating fairly soon too.

I'll post my experiences...I'm ready for the auditorium! And scared!

huh? what's this about an auditorium? haha...good luck glamqueen, regardless!

anyways, is there any suggested reading before I head out there in June? Like should I be responsible for all the terminology and how to march before I get out there? Or are they going to teach us on the go.

huh? what's this about an auditorium? haha...good luck glamqueen, regardless!

anyways, is there any suggested reading before I head out there in June? Like should I be responsible for all the terminology and how to march before I get out there? Or are they going to teach us on the go.

Going over the OIs would probably be the most productive thing. They cover marching and pretty much all procedures that you'll need to know.

That being said reading the OIs ahead of time is easier said than done. I tried to do it last year and they made little sense to me as I had no context for them yet.

Civilian clothes . . .you probably won't need many and you can wear what you want. You won't be wearing it in the COT complex. I don't know about the skype thing. You'll be using their internet, so I'd probably just stick with cellphones. You can call all you want during your free time.

Rubbermaid container . . . you can probably just buy at AAFES when you get there and no one is going to inspect your room anyways to make sure that you keep your food in it. If I had to guess, 15" by 10" or around that size would be appropriate.
I hope this isn't too late, but the maximum allowable size for the container is 12" by 8" by 4" (LxWxD. In the manual at 7.6.1).

I hope this isn't too late, but the maximum allowable size for the container is 12" by 8" by 4" (LxWxD. In the manual at 7.6.1).

They sell one at AAFES that is within reqs and everyone will most likely buy it.

If you already bought one that is slightly bigger, it's probably not going to be a problem as there are no room inspections.

i received my orders for COT, and I could have sworn i read somewhere that this allows me to access a local AFB to shop for uniforms, get a military ID. how do I go about doing this?

i received my orders for COT, and I could have sworn i read somewhere that this allows me to access a local AFB to shop for uniforms, get a military ID. how do I go about doing this?

You should be able to get on base with an appointment order, COT orders, and a photo ID. When you get to AAFES, they'll ask for your orders again before you buy anything.

I'd go with another AF person to make sure you get the right things and know what you're looking for or see if your recruiter can help you out.

If you can't do it, it's not really a big deal. They schedule all day on the first day for getting to AAFES and buying uniforms. You will have to go regardless. Just report early within the time frame that they give you to make sure that they'll have your size.

thanks! where do you go to get your appointment order?

You should be able to get on base with an appointment order, COT orders, and a photo ID. When you get to AAFES, they'll ask for your orders again before you buy anything.

I'd go with another AF person to make sure you get the right things and know what you're looking for or see if your recruiter can help you out.

If you can't do it, it's not really a big deal. They schedule all day on the first day for getting to AAFES and buying uniforms. You will have to go regardless. Just report early within the time frame that they give you to make sure that they'll have your size.

Anyone on here that is in the current June COT session? Just wondering how it's going! I'm going for the July session, aka leaving next weekend, starting to get a little nervous, especially after trying to start some of the reading. Just wanted to see if anyone fresh out or in the process has any more pointers to someone getting ready to leave!

Thanks!! =)

I posted this on a similar thread last year:

Don't take everything on here as gospel. COT changes from year to year and previous students experience might not be what's in store for you. I talked to a guy @ USUHS who had a gone a couple years before me and there were several things about the schedule and what to bring/what to do that were different. The COT website they direct you towards does a very good job of telling you what to bring and what to do beforehand.

Make sure you can exercise outside without dying, have a positive attitude about the whole experience and try not to get too worked up about the whole training environment and you'll be fine.

Enjoy! See you in the blue!

COT is supposed to end Jul 31. I was wondering if I had to do anything the next day? Report to the local station? this process is kind of confusing.

Are we allowed to bring our personal laptops? I know their website says we can't plug personal computers into the network, so does that mean we can just use their wireless network? I assume we are allowed to bring our cell phones but definite clarity on that would be helpful too.

Are we allowed to bring our personal laptops? I know their website says we can't plug personal computers into the network, so does that mean we can just use their wireless network? I assume we are allowed to bring our cell phones but definite clarity on that would be helpful too.

You can bring your cell phone and laptop.

I don't think I ever connected my laptop to their internet, be it wireless or wall jack.

Definitely bring your printer. They won't let you use thumb drives, but you will be given hard drives you can use to transfer files to your personal laptop to print. Their printers were always out of toner and paper, so my flight used this process to print out stuff all the time. People were jealous that I had a printer for us to use.

COT class 09-04 is done! I am so tired, but I am happy to be home. The heat is terrible now in Ala. so get ready to deal with that. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Does anyone know if this is the right ribbon for DG? I wanted to order one now before I forgot about it, but I wasn't sure...

http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/bmt_honor.shtml

Good luck COT class 09-05! You will do great!