Air Force Dental Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

famousbanker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that Air Force has much fewer dental residencies available(therefore much more competitive to be selected)

I have pulled the dental residency applied/accepted ratio for Army and Navy, and they do not seem to have this problem.

Harder to find Air Force data. Does anyone know where I could find similar applied/ accepted data for 2011 or 2012 OMFS and other specialty programs through the Air Force?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, can you please post the navy residency data. I couldn't find that and would really appreciate it if you would post it.

Thanks!

I heard that Air Force has much fewer dental residencies available(therefore much more competitive to be selected)

I have pulled the dental residency applied/accepted ratio for Army and Navy, and they do not seem to have this problem.

Harder to find Air Force data. Does anyone know where I could find similar applied/ accepted data for 2011 or 2012 OMFS and other specialty programs through the Air Force?

Thanks in advance.

The Air Force offers the most # of AEGD-1s of all 3 branches. I am not sure about the specialty spots.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks in advance.

Go to the ask an air force dentist thread and look at the the post on 30 Jan 2013. If it's an Air Force related question odds are that's the place to look.

Thanks in advance.

hi im from a dentist from argentina, sorry that im asking for you but i m really lose,,,if u can answer me how can i do to work as an higienist,,,, sorry for my poor english!! thanks

Endo
13 applicants
4 selects
2 alternates

Comp Dentistry
7 Applicants
5 Selects
0 alternates

Prosthodontics
4 applicants
4 selects
0 alternates

Orthodontics
9 applicants
3 selects
2 alternates

Perio
5 applicants
4 selects
0 alternates

Pediatric Dentistry
11 applicants
3 selects
2 alternates

Advanced Clinical Dent Program
3 applicants
2 selects
0 alternates

OMS board from 07/12
16 applicants
12 selects
0 alternates

Last edited:
The Air Force offers the most # of AEGD-1s of all 3 branches. I am not sure about the specialty spots.

How about 2 year AEGD? Any applicant/acceptance data on that? Also, where are the sites?

How about 2 year AEGD? Any applicant/acceptance data on that? Also, where are the sites?

First of all, there is no such thing as a 2 yr AEGD in the military. You are referring to what is called the comprehensive dentistry residency. See the stats listed above for the comp dentistry residency that AFDDS posted.

First of all, there is no such thing as a 2 yr AEGD in the military. You are referring to what is called the comprehensive dentistry residency. See the stats listed above for the comp dentistry residency that AFDDS posted.

My recruiter and interviewer both referred to the program as a 2 year AEGD. I should have realized they were synonymous, but I appreciate the correction.

My recruiter and interviewer both referred to the program as a 2 year AEGD. I should have realized they were synonymous, but I appreciate the correction.

Listening to your recruiter about anything dental other than getting the scholarship can get you into trouble. Recruiters are just that -recruters, not dentists.

Listening to your recruiter about anything dental other than getting the scholarship can get you into trouble. Recruiters are just that -recruters, not dentists.

My interviewer is a dentist. Please try to understand my mistake though.

The army site referred to it as a "AEGD Two-year Program"
The credentials for the Vice President of the ABGD Board of Directors includes that "Dr. Nicholas Miniotis ... completed a GPR at Chanute AFB and a 2-year AEGD at the Naval Dental School in Bethesda, Maryland."
And Secretary, Dr. Nancy Motyka, "completed the 2-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency Program at Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB in 2006."

I mean no disrespect. I just joined to learn from military dentists such as yourself. I should have taken a closer look at the list that AFDDS provided.

My interviewer is a dentist. Please try to understand my mistake though.

The army site referred to it as a "AEGD Two-year Program"
The credentials for the Vice President of the ABGD Board of Directors includes that "Dr. Nicholas Miniotis ... completed a GPR at Chanute AFB and a 2-year AEGD at the Naval Dental School in Bethesda, Maryland."
And Secretary, Dr. Nancy Motyka, "completed the 2-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency Program at Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB in 2006."

I mean no disrespect. I just joined to learn from military dentists such as yourself. I should have taken a closer look at the list that AFDDS provided.

Only the Navy officially refers to their program as the comp dentistry residency. Army and Air Force both officially refer to it as the AEGD 2-year program, as noted in the quote above. That being said, informally, many call it the comprehensive dentistry residency.

Isn't it true though, that the Air Force is more likely to allow you to do a civilian residency than other branches? This allows you to have access to both military and civilian residencies, right? Probably something to consider if your entering the service with the desire to specialize. This is especially true if you want the 6-year, dual degree (DDS/MD) OMFS residency. The military residencies only provide you with the 4-year certificate.

Just a thought, seeing as you seem interested in specializing (and mentioned OMFS specifically).

Isn't it true though, that the Air Force is more likely to allow you to do a civilian residency than other branches? This allows you to have access to both military and civilian residencies, right? Probably something to consider if your entering the service with the desire to specialize. This is especially true if you want the 6-year, dual degree (DDS/MD) OMFS residency. The military residencies only provide you with the 4-year certificate.

Just a thought, seeing as you seem interested in specializing (and mentioned OMFS specifically).

Old thread, but I'd appreciate any confirmation or otherwise dismissal of the above hearsay.