Air Force Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdanderson1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have ANY experience with Air Force Dentistry? I'm looking for anyone who is either presently serving on active duty or anyone who has recently left. Also, has anyone had any experience with their AEGD? From what i've read it sounds great.

Thanks,
D

Members don't see this ad.

whatya want to know?

i have a friend who just started his tour of duty
last year.

he, though, did not have to do an AEGD or GPR.

also, FYI, airforce has a max scholarship of 3 years,
not 4, like the Army and Navy

Jone,
I am aware of the 3 year vs. 4 year diff. Thats ok with me. I know I am not at all interested in either the Army (been there done that..89-92:)) or the Navy. I guess I'm just looking for his general impression so far. Any regrets??? How is he adjusting to military life? With out sounding glib, how cushy is AF life-ie. what kind of schedule does he have and how demanding, unreasonable are commanding officers? Clinically how satisfied is he with day to day practice-i.e. equiptment, personel and amount of work?

I was stationed in Europe in the early 90's and would absolutely love to return. What is the likelyhood of that happening? Are some countries harder to get stationed too than others? If stationed overseas what amount of time is required for a accompanied tour? Is it 36 months or 48 months? What is a normal daily schedule overseas?? How about time off? While overseas any experiences with the DOD schools for dependants? Any other questions I should be asking that he with hindsight wishes he had asked???

From what I understand the one year of training available after graduation from school is excellent. Has he heard whether in fact it is?? How gruelling is this (AEGD)experience? What kind of hours? Any comments about the AEGD would be appreciated, even if its just second hand knowledge.

thx
D

kdanderson, I'm not dental but may be able to answer some of your questions...
There are quite a few slots overseas for junior grade dental officers (Capts and Majors). Especially Europe. The dental techs for the most part are well trained, dental lab turn around can be longer than you would like. Work load vary but mostly you'll put in a solid 9-10 hr day. In most places the oppurtunity for civic action missions is available (esp. South America and Africa).
DoDDS schools are pretty good. My youngest daughter attended school on base and my oldest went to junior high off base at an "international" school with dutch, german, canadian and english kids. Commanders are individual in nature and have a lot of pressure from their bosses to meet certain access standards. Dental officers that choose to stay in can become medical group commanders and even major command surgeon generals. If you want you send me an email and I'll try to hook you up with some friends now serving as dental officers.