Air Force Health Professions Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batzmarucy831

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to apply for the Air Force Scholarship for the 3 year +1 year bonus program, but I'd like to know if I can do a regular residency or do I have to do a military one? Anyone with experience in this scholarship, please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

CAN you do a civilian ("regular") residency? yes.
WILL you be allowed to do a civilian residency? depends.

In order to do a civilian residency you need to be approved to apply for civilian deferral. That said, Air Force gives out a lot of deferrals for civilian residency.

You should really do some serious research into what you're getting yourself into. If you are taking a military scholarship and going to be a military doctor, what is the benefit of a "regular" residency anyways? just curious. p.s. you realize that you'll have a 4 year commitment even though you are taking the 3yr scholarship due to accepting the bonus, right?

Peruse the forum - all your questions have been answered already

So I have decided to apply for the Air Force Scholarship for the 3 year +1 year bonus program, but I'd like to know if I can do a regular residency or do I have to do a military one? Anyone with experience in this scholarship, please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Agree with everything The Goose said. If you research the forums here you should have a good idea as to what you are getting into. Also, you have to realize that the specialty that you are looking to enter will be a large determinant on the likelihood of obtaining a civilian residency. Finally, given today's climate in the USAF, you should be prepared to have your residency training interupted by a flight medicine (GMO) tour. If that is not something that you can live with, you may wish to reconsider. Good luck!