Air Force HPSP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am! I actually have to have a background investigation interview next week... hopefully this is normal? I'm guessing it's cuz my parents are immigrants?

when were you selected for HPSP? I was selected in Feb board and have not heard about my clearance. recruiter is telling me it can take several months.

edit: i have not heard anything about interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I am! I actually have to have a background investigation interview next week... hopefully this is normal? I'm guessing it's cuz my parents are immigrants?
I never had a background interview.

when were you selected for HPSP? I was selected in Feb board and have not heard about my clearance. recruiter is telling me it can take several months.

You submitted fingerprints already? Did you go through MEPS yet? What you're probably waiting on is approval through the Scroll (congressional approval).

Members don't see this ad :)

I was selected in the April board. I've submitted fingerprints and done MEPS, so I think all that's left is this background investigation.

I never had a background interview.

Were your parents born in the US? I can't think of any red flags on my application, so I'm just hoping it's cuz my parents are foreign born.

You submitted fingerprints already? Did you go through MEPS yet? What you're probably waiting on is approval through the Scroll (congressional approval).

Yes, did fingerprints and MEPS in mid April . Scroll approval few weeks ago. Security clearance is the only thing I am waiting on before commissioning. There are few of us that went through this recruiting office in the same boat. Apparently this does not seem to be the case nationally.

I was selected in the April board. I've submitted fingerprints and done MEPS, so I think all that's left is this background investigation.

Were your parents born in the US? I can't think of any red flags on my application, so I'm just hoping it's cuz my parents are foreign born.

My parents (and I) are not US born.

That's probably it. Yeah, both were born here.

I am still waiting for my security clearance to come back before comissioning - very frustrating. Been waiting for 3 months now. Anybody else been waiting this long?

LongTimeLurk -- I'm not quite sure where I am in the process... I haven't heard anything from my recruiter since my background investigation interview, but I'll keep you updated if anything changes!

They changed it for Air Force. It's also a minimum of 8 in each section and at least a 25 overall. Minimum GPA is 3.2.
I have a 3.8 c gpa and an mcat score of 28 ...(p 7, verbal 10, bio 11). Am I automatically ineligible to apply because I have a score below an 8? Really hoping I can still apply and have a chance

I have a 3.8 c gpa and an mcat score of 28 ...(p 7, verbal 10, bio 11). Am I automatically ineligible to apply because I have a score below an 8? Really hoping I can still apply and have a chance

That new requirement for above all 8's isn't negotiable. I spoke with recruiters in navy, army, and AF. All of them said it's new this year that they won't even accept applications with a sub score below 8. It's total bs in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That new requirement for above all 8's isn't negotiable. I spoke with recruiters in navy, army, and AF. All of them said it's new this year that they won't even accept applications with a sub score below 8. It's total bs in my opinion.
Kind of strange of them to adopt a new requirement like that one cycle before the new MCAT become the norm, with it's drastically altered grading system.

Kind of strange of them to adopt a new requirement like that one cycle before the new MCAT become the norm, with it's drastically altered grading system.

Oh I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it, but all recruiters told me was that it was an absolute requirement starting this year, instead of more of a recommendation in years prior.

Look into the FAP. It IS a significantly better option.

Look into the FAP. It IS a significantly better option.

Absolutely a better option. And there are plenty of other options without signing away a massive amount of your decision making ability as a medical student.

Aye, that is an attractive option if you are interested in a bit of military service. Unfortunate acronym, however.
Even financially it is more attractive, IMO.

You can also contract out when you are an attending; yet, another way to help get rid of debt.

Speak with a recruiter. Ask specifically for a health professions recruiter. Those kinds of things change all the time. You might be alright now.

Speak with a recruiter. Ask specifically for a health professions recruiter. Those kinds of things change all the time. You might be alright now.
As the Army saying goes, "everything is waiverable"..

Just spoke with my recruiter. It definitely makes me ineligible to apply. But she did mention that she and other recruiters are collecting data of individuals who fall into this category and are trying to get it changed.

Just spoke with my recruiter. It definitely makes me ineligible to apply. But she did mention that she and other recruiters are collecting data of individuals who fall into this category and are trying to get it changed.

That's what a couple recruiters told me as well. It's infuriating to dismiss a group of applicants for 1 point. Especially when every other duck is in a row.

It's incredibly silly, especially considering how each service hurts for applicants every year.

In all honesty, I doubt the MCAT means much of anything at the end of the day. I certainly don't see it. I see many say that it correlates with board scores, but the tests are completely different. The MCAT seems like a weird test to me. It doesn't relate to medical school in the least. Once you get in somewhere, you start to forget about it altogether.

It's incredibly silly, especially considering how each service hurts for applicants every year.

In all honesty, I doubt the MCAT means much of anything at the end of the day. I certainly don't see it. I see many say that it correlates with board scores, but the tests are completely different. The MCAT seems like a weird test to me. It doesn't relate to medical school in the least. Once you get in somewhere, you start to forget about it altogether.
It really is strange because, as far as I know, you have to hold an acceptance before you can get an HPSP scholarship. Is that correct? If so, what's the point of even looking at the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
It really is strange because, as far as I know, you have to hold an acceptance before you can get an HPSP scholarship. Is that correct? If so, what's the point of even looking at the MCAT?
Sometimes, they'll let you start the process before being accepted anywhere. They need an acceptance before they will submit your application for approval. GPA and MCAT are used as a screening tool. Heck, they didn't even know the written section was dropped when I applied.

Sometimes, they'll let you start the process before being accepted anywhere. They need an acceptance before they will submit your application for approval. GPA and MCAT are used as a screening tool. Heck, they didn't even know the written section was dropped when I applied.
How organized is the whole process on the military's side? Is it a hassle. I know when I was applying for the Naval ROTC scholarship to attend The Citadel, I basically had to call and email them daily to get all my stuff processed.

How organized is the whole process on the military's side? Is it a hassle. I know when I was applying for the Naval ROTC scholarship to attend The Citadel, I basically had to call and email them daily to get all my stuff processed.
There are definitely a lot of forms that need to be filled out. I had to list everywhere I lived, worked, and went to school in the past decade (I think.) as well as have references from each place so they could do a thorough background check. This was a lot for me to fill out, probably more than what is typical. Paperwork is paperwork, so it does get lost. It's important to make copies. Also, if a certain amount of time passes, you have to resubmit certain forms.

At one point, I had to drive about an hour away to MEPS which is where you get your physical done. You find a lot of 17/18 year olds getting processed for the various branches there. I was maybe one of two officer candidates out of perhaps 40 people.

I had to get new letters of recommendation (mostly just getting the med school letters repurposed). I also had to fill out a ten question questionnaire which asked things like: Why the Air Force? What can you bring to the Air Force? Etc.

At the end of the day, you wait on the Scroll which is Congressional approval. Once you get that, you can be commissioned.

It was definitely a long process. If I had to do it again I would submit everything ASAP as I did, make copies of everything, and make sure the recruiter has everything he or she needs as not to hold up the process. There are only so many slots. Sometimes they fill fast, sometimes not. When they changed the MCAT subsection minimum, I think each branch had to work a bit harder to fill spots.

Lastly, don't sign anything without understanding what you're signing.

Make sure you have a good recruiter for the process. That is the best way to ensure things run smoothly. Asking how long they have been recruiting is one way to find out and finding out what their background in the armed forces is is helpful as well. Having healthcare experience isn't a necessity for them to be recruiters.

Make sure you have a good recruiter for the process. That is the best way to ensure things run smoothly. Asking how long they have been recruiting is one way to find out and finding out what their background in the armed forces is is helpful as well. Having healthcare experience isn't a necessity for them to be recruiters.
Ask how long he or she has been doing health professions recruiting. Regular recruiters who were just made into health professions recruiters have to learn a whole new process.

Anyone know the difference between the 3 branches HPSP scholarships?

Anyone know the difference between the 3 branches HPSP scholarships?
Minimal to no difference scholarship wise. It's the post grad training that changes with each and the various extracurricular knowledge you have to learn about the military hierarchy and how to be an officer in each and all that jazz.

@JPickos9989 : that is exactly what I was wondering about. can you or @Nontrad_DO_143 elaborate more on this? I'm clueless -___-

Oh okay, my bad, my elaboration on the training side of each branch is really only from speaking with physicians in each branch. I ultimately decided the scholarship wasn't in my best interest and now their new MCAT standards rule me out by 1 point. There are other options that work better AFTER you are out of school to get loans paid off like the FAP. The one appealing thing of the scholarship to me was financial stability throughout school, but I haven't had to worry about that so far. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.