• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Hrycian

Beast 469
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2007
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi all!
Listen to my sad story and perhaps someone can give a word of advice...
So I got into VCOM. The school will start this August. Ever since December I have been dancing around Air Force HPSP. The problem is that I am "damaged goods" -- 8 years Army active duty, PCN allergy and an old knee trauma, which has healed though. I got my medical clearance from AF, but ever since then I have been fed promises like: "next month we will let you know, next week now, in the beginning of next month you will be notified if you were accepted"
I know that all recruiters have to "adjust info", and my only friend in the Air Force has died of cancer last Summer. So I have nobody to ask for advice.
Meanwhile, during the orientation day at the school (April 5) I met people who have already received their Navy and Army HPSP. I had 3 AF recruiters changed on my case. The reasoning was that one of them was "not doing the job right" the other was not even HPSP but a nursing recruiter, and my last one had just started the job. Somehow, I am getting an impression of either screaming incompetence or a situation when one is being held back just in case if not enough people applied.
This worries me, because I do not want to lose my HPSP opportunity. At this time I don't even care for the branch of service anymore. Today was another "final date". When I called the recruiter, she said that the "final date will be on May 7th".
People: can somebody let me know when did you get approved or disapproved for Air Force HPSP?
This way I may at least get a hint and a stimulus to ditch AF and try elsewhere.
Of course any advice on the matter would be appreciated.
Thank you

FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2007
Monaco
Status (Visible)
Hi,

I moved this from the US Public Health Service forum as this would be better suited for our Military medicine forum. You should benefit from reading some of the HPSP FAQs provided in this forum.

Good luck, :thumbup:
Fly

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i got my AF HPSP acceptance letter in March sometime and i just commissioned this past week.

as far as i know, AF has already filled all of their slots for this year. to offer the 20K bonus, they had to cut back the number of scholarships.

it doesn't seem like (from what i've read on this board) Army or Navy are in this position. i don't know anything about your health conditions, but it might be worth it to call one of the other branches.

About the Ads

Hrycian

Beast 469
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2007
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I guess this story came to the happy end. Got comissioned the very last minute in July. Will not go to COT till end of school. That one is going to be weird, but a captain's pay during the training period seems like a very good idea...

AndyM

Bioenvironmental Engineer
10+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2008
Sea of Memes
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
People: can somebody let me know when did you get approved or disapproved for Air Force HPSP?

Selection in HPSP for me came about two weeks after submission. This was BSC, however, not the Medical Corps. Persistance will be rewarded, as the fortune cookie says. Try to get the mobile phone number of the recruiter to whom you're assigned.

This way I may at least get a hint and a stimulus to ditch AF and try elsewhere.

The source of your commission may not matter to you now or even throughout your scholarship, but when it comes time for real life in the military, you'll be glad to have the QOL issues squared away. The AF uses an AEF concept for its deployments, which are shorter in duration than Army/Marines. I don't really know how the Navy operates with medical folks, but I'd bet you'd be OCONUS for a significant period of time, as well.

BomberDoc

ex-BomberDoc
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
rectum, damn near killed 'em
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The reason it took so long is your school is expensive and they were waiting to see if they could fill the slots with someone cheaper. Obviously, they couldn't. Don't kid yourself that it had anything to do with your qualifications.

Oooh! It is true. You're just a number filling a box.

ActiveDutyMD from the top rope!!!

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have been out of the military for several years. Is it really true that HPSP uses the tuition charges of the applicant's medical school as a criterion in selecting their HPSP scholarship recipients?

They have a certain number of slots of expensive schools and moderate schools. They certainly prefer students paying in-state tuition at inexpensive state schools. They were thrilled with my $10K/year tuition (yea, I was pretty dumb.)

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Can't speak for Army or Air Force, but Navy doesn't differentiate. These days, if your in a school and willing to serve, that is all it takes.

During times of prolific applications, I could see that happening, but would the services really turn down an Ivy league student based on cost?

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
Can't speak for Army or Air Force, but Navy doesn't differentiate. These days, if your in a school and willing to serve, that is all it takes.

During times of prolific applications, I could see that happening, but would the services really turn down an Ivy league student based on cost?

I looked at the Air Force when I initially applied to HPSP and they mentioned having different tiers based on medical school tuition that were decided on different dates.

The White Coat Investor

Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

The Navy can't afford to differentiate. It can't fill its ranks even if it only took students from the most expensive school in the country.

The Ivy leagues aren't the expensive schools, by the way. Have you looked at tuition for most of the D.O. schools in the country? Don't forget to include the cost of the required manipulation table.

Milamber

Grand Poomba
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The Navy can't afford to differentiate. It can't fill its ranks even if it only took students from the most expensive school in the country.

The Ivy leagues aren't the expensive schools, by the way. Have you looked at tuition for most of the D.O. schools in the country? Don't forget to include the cost of the required manipulation table.
Just to let you know my school doesn't require a manipulation table.

The White Coat Investor

Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just to let you know my school doesn't require a manipulation table.

Too bad, because then you'd get a free one. I had to get my school to make a lot of the highly recommended equipment "required" so I could get HPSP to pay for it.

I still ended up paying out of pocket for the books I actually used. But HPSP paid for all the "required ones" that no one ever used.

futrdvm

westernu class of 2012
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
san diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
The reason it took so long is your school is expensive and they were waiting to see if they could fill the slots with someone cheaper. Obviously, they couldn't. Don't kid yourself that it had anything to do with your qualifications.
is this the same for vet schools too? i'm hoping to go through hpsp to cover my expenses for vet school, but i'm at a private college and tuition is less than a state school.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.