Air Force HPSP Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatchAdams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I was wondering how many HPSP scholarship spots the Air Force has in total? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there were 136 total scholarships this year, just don't quote me on that.

PatchAdams said:
Hey Everyone.

I was wondering how many HPSP scholarship spots the Air Force has in total? Thanks.

DrChris23 said:
I believe there were 136 total scholarships this year, just don't quote me on that.

also depends if you're in undergrad and thinking about doing HPSP or if you're active duty. For active duty, I was told by Mr. Kush at AFPC that there were 20-25. That means there are probably 100+ for undergrad folks. I think it's weird that someone who has busted their ass in the air force on active duty for years can be denied HPSP while someone from college who has never served in the military can go straight to school on HPSP. I think if they have similar stats and their eprs/oprs are good, they (active duty) should be a priority over the college folks for hpsp.

Members don't see this ad :)
qqq said:
also depends if you're in undergrad and thinking about doing HPSP or if you're active duty. For active duty, I was told by Mr. Kush at AFPC that there were 20-25. That means there are probably 100+ for undergrad folks. I think it's weird that someone who has busted their ass in the air force on active duty for years can be denied HPSP while someone from college who has never served in the military can go straight to school on HPSP. I think if they have similar stats and their eprs/oprs are good, they (active duty) should be a priority over the college folks for hpsp.
Mega Dittos.(see the "BOHICA rings true!..." thread). I have 11 years active duty, 3.85 GPA, 30P MCAT, good OPRs, passed an annual class 3 flight physical, had a Definitely Promote (DP) to Major last year, and an acceptance to a low-cost state school (ETSU) yet the Jedi Council at AFPC/DPAME in it's, infinite wisdom, decided not to accept me for an HPSP scholarship. Also, I heard a rumor today that there are factors considered in HPSP acceptance that no one tells you about. Factors such as geographic, gender, and racial/ethnic diversity :mad: !!!! (BTW, this came from an active duty flight surgeon who is a 2003 USAF HPSP grad from a high priced DO school). As always, check six and bring the KY (the jelly, not the state) ! :smuggrin:

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Mega Dittos.(see the "BOHICA rings true!..." thread). I have 11 years active duty, 3.85 GPA, 30P MCAT, good OPRs, passed an annual class 3 flight physical, had a Definitely Promote (DP) to Major last year, and an acceptance to a low-cost state school (ETSU) yet the Jedi Council at AFPC/DPAME in it's, infinite wisdom, decided not to accept me for an HPSP scholarship. Also, I heard a rumor today that there are factors considered in HPSP acceptance that no one tells you about. Factors such as geographic, gender, and racial/ethnic diversity :mad: !!!! (BTW, this came from an active duty flight surgeon who is a 2003 USAF HPSP grad from a high priced DO school). As always, check six and bring the KY (the jelly, not the state) ! :smuggrin:

So i guess you're punching out now (avatar)!! Lucky You!

qqq said:
So i guess you're punching out now (avatar)!! Lucky You!

Yep, I have no ADSC so I'm punching out in July after 11 years in the Air Force. Unless a USUHS slot opens up, I will belong to another service next year (hopefully Navy!). What a bitter, bullsh*t way to go. Ain't friendly fire a b*tch?!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Yep, I have no ADSC so I'm punching out in July after 11 years in the Air Force. Unless a USUHS slot opens up, I will belong to another service next year (hopefully Navy!). What a bitter, bullsh*t way to go. Ain't friendly fire a b*tch?!

Once again, I'm sorry about that. It is a screwed up system. You paid your dues and deserve *at least* an equal chance with the trad students.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:

Well it's for the better I'm sure. BTW, what's your AFSC BOHICA?

qqq said:
Well it's for the better I'm sure. BTW, what's your AFSC BOHICA?

consider missing out on an HPSP as a blessing in disguise.

There is a demand for Primary care docs in the civilian world so go get it done; the military will be losing, but thats on them.

Hey USAFdoc, you really should be called anti-USAFdoc.
:smuggrin:

medicine1 said:
Hey USAFdoc, you really should be called anti-USAFdoc.
:smuggrin:

I agree;my entries do not paint a pretty picture of doc life in the USAF;unfortunately it is not a pretty health care system at this time. You cannot make a health care system that is compromised on every level (manning, experience, support staff, and processes such as referrals etc) and think you end up with a good product. In the end, as bad as it is for staff, the real people paying the price are the patients (they just don't know it).