Air Force residency questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omar-57

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm an HPSP student and I am still alittle unclear on the matching process to come.

I would like to do internal medicine.

Can you select only a couple of AF IM spots that you will do.. for example, i am not sure i would like to go to Keesler and maybe not WP. Can you apply for the other two and not Keesler and WP?

If you don't get what you want will doing an IM internship year w/ the AF count as a year of IM AF residency if you get it the following year?

If you were to choose to do a GMO, would it be 1 year intern + 4 years GMO to complete the contract? Or does the intern year count?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

also, are the AF IM res programs 3 years total including the intern year?

or are they 3 years + the intern year?

thank you

I would also like to ask.. How long are the board scores good for?

If finishing the contract as a GMO and trying to match in the civilian system.. Would you have to re-take any exams to do so?

Also if you finish an AF internal med internship year and re-apply the following year would your IM residency be only 2 years even if it were at a different location from your intern location?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to ask.. How long are the board scores good for?

If finishing the contract as a GMO and trying to match in the civilian system.. Would you have to re-take any exams to do so?

Also if you finish an AF internal med internship year and re-apply the following year would your IM residency be only 2 years even if it were at a different location from your intern location?

I'm pretty sure your Step 1, 2, 3 scores are good forever. You won't need to retake them. Once you are board certified, you re-test every 10 yrs.

If you are accepted to continue your GME2+ in IM, you would do 2 more years for a total of 3 (just like the rest of the world). If you did 1yr, then GMO, then civilian match, you might have to repeat your intern year as a resitern.

Hey Omar,
To answer a few of your questions. You can decide to "pick" one base over another, such as Keesler and not WP. This will limit your chances of getting a residency though. If you don't get picked, then doing an IM intern year will count towards a full IM residency. I'm not sure how many "advanced" (that's what they call it when you have already done an intern year) IM positions the Air Force offered this year though.
And yes, if you do the GMO/flight surgeon thing, if you do an intern year, which you have to do to be a GMO and/or FS, then serve your 4 year committment, you'd be done with AF.
Not sure if the AF IM residencies are 3 or 3+1, not my area. Perhaps somebody else can comment on that.

Board scores are good forever and they follow you forever, do well on step 2 and 3. If you go the GMO route, when you reapply to whatever speciality after your GMO tour they will be there for all to see and critique. Mine were for sure.

thanks, helps to sort some planning out.

I will probably shoot for my top 2 IM AF locations and if I don't get them do an intern year and try to be "advanced" the next run maybe I will feel like keeping all of the options open at that point to get a residency.

Is there any unwilling or dislike from the AF in "advancing" interns into residency IM spots the following year?

Also is there any buzz on the DC hospitals opening up to AF students for IM residency soon?