Air force verse air force national guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain the difference to me between the air force and the air force national guard? We had a representative of each come to speak to our residency and I'm still confused.

Other than the difference between the two, what is the difference between the compensation (how much you get for signing on, monthly allowance) and the time you have to serve after residency?

Oh, and can either of them pull you out of your residency after you get your license?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MS05' said:
Could someone please explain the difference to me between the air force and the air force national guard? We had a representative of each come to speak to our residency and I'm still confused.

Other than the difference between the two, what is the difference between the compensation (how much you get for signing on, monthly allowance) and the time you have to serve after residency?

Oh, and can either of them pull you out of your residency after you get your license?

Thanks!

Basically put, joining the active duty air force is a full time position losing one's civilian status. An Air National guard member is in a part-time position, one weekend per month and two weeks during the year, subject to recall to active duty at direction of the pentagon, yet still a civilian whose primary full time employment is as a civilian.