Air National guard helpppp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudderMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am board certified in internal medicine and just joined the air guard. Does anyone know if I am eligible to apply for military fellowship programs?? (Pulmonary critical care specifically.) I have no prior service.

On a side note, leaving for RCOT in a few weeks and I’m pretty nervous. Anyone been down this path with no prior service? I’d love to chat.

Members don't see this ad.

Would love to hear about your experience at RCOT. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the challenge you will run into is being released from the Guard to enter Active Duty, particularly if you took any sort of incentive to join the Guard. Beyond that, why go that route? Go to whatever civilian fellowship you want, make great money practicing interesting critical care in the civilian setting, and get your military kicks on the part-time side. Look into the Guard and reserve CCAT teams. Active duty military is not a great place to be for high acuity or highly specialized areas of medicine.

I think the challenge you will run into is being released from the Guard to enter Active Duty, particularly if you took any sort of incentive to join the Guard. Beyond that, why go that route? Go to whatever civilian fellowship you want, make great money practicing interesting critical care in the civilian setting, and get your military kicks on the part-time side. Look into the Guard and reserve CCAT teams. Active duty military is not a great place to be for high acuity or highly specialized areas of medicine.

didn’t realize one needed to be active duty in order to participate in those programs. I have no intention of doing that.... thanks for the information. I am going to CCATT initial training in September =]

didn’t realize one needed to be active duty in order to participate in those programs. I have no intention of doing that.... thanks for the information. I am going to CCATT initial training in September =]

Yea, any military GME training incurs an active duty obligation. I don't know of any reserve component program to let you train in a military GME program in exchange for reserve component time. It doesn't make financial sense for them.