Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Air National Guard??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by UHSBOUND, Mar 10, 2000.

1. UHSBOUND

UHSBOUND Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Im considering joining the Air guard to help pay for school but wondering if the one weekend a month would become to much of a burden. If anyone has any insight or opinions on this please let me know.

2. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you are starting medical school, then dont do it. You will not have the time. I drilled with the naval reserve during undergrad and drill weekend ALWAYS came at the Wrong time!

3. RDJ

RDJ

Being in the Guard can provide you with some extra money while you are in medical school (about $25,000 over four years). Plus, the National Guard programs do not require medical students to attend drill if you feel it interferes with your studies. Moreover, they allow you perform what is called a ?RST?. This is alternate training and can take the form of you going to the library to study. I know this sounds silly, but it is true. The programs are designed to give you a good feeling about the Guard and to entice you into staying when you graduate. The big benefits start after that. You become eligible for a $900+ a month stipend and about $50,000 in loan repayment, among others. It is important to remember that you do not incur an obligation to serve until after you graduate and accept their incentives. Furthermore, you are absolutely non-deployable while you are a medical student.
    I am currently in the Army Reserves and am slightly familiar with the Guard programs. I have talked with recruiters in the Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida in preparation for applying to DO schools this June. It is all the same ?Army? so the individual state programs are very similar. Texas is the exception, if you are in their Guard and attending a med school in Texas, tuition is 100% free. However, you automatically incur a National Guard service obligation after you graduate. The obligation grows if you decide to sign up with their stipend/bonus programs during your residency.
    As far as the Air National Guard goes, I do not know. You need to call them if you are interested. If their programs are not comparable, try the Army National Guard.

Go to: http://www.mong.org/contents.htm; This is a Missouri National Guard homepage. It also has a link to the Air Guard. The information for contacting a recruiter is found here.

Good Luck

4. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If THATS the case, then I say go for it. Be sure to know what kind of obligation is required of you during med school, when passing your next test will be more important to you than drill for the weekend before the test.

5. UHSBOUND

UHSBOUND Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the responses. Everything sounds pretty good that ive heard so far but its a pretty big decision. Its definitely something im going to check further into.