Airforce 2 Year HPSP VS. FAP (NEW RULES?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted646902

Hi everyone! I understand that there have been many posts regarding this topic however I recently got a call from my recruiter that has left me looking for advice from here....

Prior to the call I was under the impression that even the 2 year HPSP airforce scholarship had a 3 year AD payback and this made it pretty clear to me that FAP was the way to go however my recruiter called me today stating that his command had told him that ALL 2 YEAR HPSP SCHOLARSHIPS are 2 year packbacks.... 1 for 1 essentially so you would only have a 2 year AD commitment after residency (UNLESS YOU GET DEFFERED TO A CIVILIAN RESIDENCY AND THEN YOU MUST DO A 1 FOR 1 UNDER EACH YEAR YOU ATTEND RESIDENCY) Is this true what i was told? If so..... what would be the best route to take because having only 2 year AD requirement is very enticing however again.... with FAP you have guaranteed civilian residency (but with an extra payback year regardless to how many years you take). Thank you for all your time and help !

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the way the math works out, even in the Air Force, is your active duty service obligation (years you owe) would end up being the number of years your residency lasted. With the shortest residency being three years if you include intern year, you would effectively owe three years. The only way you could end up truly owing two years I imagine is if you did a GMO tour immediately following intern year, in which case you could complete your ADSO after those two years as a GMO.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I would not accept the word of anyone and make sure you have something in writing signed by you stating your ADSO is actually two years.

This is all contingent on your recruiter actually being correct and in that there truly is a two-year scholarship which I have never heard of, certainly not in the Navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about Air Force, but from what I understand it s 1 for 1. Maybe @Armyhealth would be able to shine a light?

I only know the Army rules, MC is the only ones for us that have a 2 year contract option for everyone else it is a three year minimum. So maybe Air Force has a 3 year minimum across the board? FAP is the better option because it is only a two year contract and like you said a civilian residency. For the Army side you would get the 2279 per month and the 45K per year and owe only two years back on AD. However FAP is approved on a case by case basis and it has to be in a residency that is a critical shortage. (surgery, emergency medicine, preventative medicine, psych to mention a few.)

Just to clarify when you say "you would only owe two years" you mean if you only took FAP for a single year, correct? Is that common? 2 year ADSO sounds very enticing if true, especially since you would already have done the residency of your choice. When referring to the critical shortage specialties.

FAP is a 1 year for 1 year payback so if you took FAP for 1 or 2 years in the Army you would owe two years of active service.

Oh I must've had my information wrong. I thought FAP was 1 for 1 plus 1 additional year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I must've had my information wrong. I thought FAP was 1 for 1 plus 1 additional year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For USAF it's 1 for 1 plus 1. (Just attended a talk by a USAF doc & this came up)

Reactions: 1 user
for USAF it's 1 for 1 AD. the plus 1 is no longer a thing. you still have a 6 yr contract.

I always thought the minimum commitment was 4 years? Is it possible to only sign a 2 year AD commitment? How about as a resident?

FAP is a 1 year for 1 year payback so if you took FAP for 1 or 2 years in the Army you would owe two years of active service.

Just to clarify.. for the Army FAP the plus 1yr for AD is no longer true for the Army? So if I receive 2 years of stipend, my active duty payback would be only 2 years?

Just to clarify.. for the Army FAP the plus 1yr for AD is no longer true for the Army? So if I receive 2 years of stipend, my active duty payback would be only 2 years?

I was wrong! Here it is right out of this year's guide.

Open to physicians at any point during their residency training, such as, Post Graduate Year (PGY) II and above. Must be PGY1 complete and successfully passed all three steps of the USMLE/COMLEX exams on the first attempt. Certain individuals may be eligible to apply in PGY I based on OTSG guidance. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis by OTSG/GME. Provides an annual grant of up to $45,000 plus a monthly stipend of over $2,000.00. ADO is 2 years for the first year of FAP participation plus one-half year for each additional one-half year (or portions thereof) of participation with a minimum period of 2 years on AD. Individuals must be US citizens.