AirForce/Army/NHSC Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUNDEVIL54

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just accepted into the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine and I have looked at some of the AirForce/Navy/NHSC Scholarships threads and have found some great info, but most of it is a couple of years old. I was just wondering if someone who is familiar with any of these three scholarships could get back to me with some additional info regarding service requirements following graduation and deployment details (Does everyone get deployed?Do you have any say in where you get deployed? How long do you get deployed for?). And the same thing for the NHSC Scholarship program as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you're talking about the HPSP scholarships. Each branch of the military offers them and usually have a 4,3,and 2-year programs where they will pay for all your tuition books etc. along with a monthly stipend (right now it's $2,060/month) After your program is done you are required to payback year for year in active duty (on a base and eligible for deployment). What they usually don't tell you is that you are required to do inactive duty as well up to eight years. All branches are pretty much the same in this regard, the difference really comes in deployments. The army deploys for 12 months at a time and are GENERALLY more susceptible to go to combat zones. Navy usually deploys for 6 months and will most likely be on a ship. The air force usually for 4-6 months. Another big difference is the amount of 4-year scholarships they offer. The army and navy both offer about 30-40 each year while the air force only offers 4-5 a year. Another thing to consider is that the army and navy offer a $20k signing bonus (~$16k after taxes). I'm currently applying to the Navy HPSP for dental school so I've talked quite a bit with the recruiters.

So what exactly does inactive duty entail? After you serve your 4 years following dental school are you free to go or are there other "fine print" obligations? And does the AirForce not do a sign on bonus?

Members don't see this ad :)
So what exactly does inactive duty entail? After you serve your 4 years following dental school are you free to go or are there other "fine print" obligations? And does the AirForce not do a sign on bonus?

While I completely understand the reason why you'd start a thread (namely, so you can ask questions that are specific to you), I'd HIGHLY suggest just taking a couple hours and reading the following threads:

Navy
Air Force

I got accepted into the Navy HPSP and got a LOT of my information from a lot of SDN threads that are up-to-date and that have way more information than anyone could provide for you in a single post. If you are planning on starting school next year and are thinking of applying for the HPSP, you are most likely too late for the Air Force but probably have a shot at the Navy HPSP if you call your local recruiter TODAY and get the ball rollin (note: Army fills up a lot slower and has more spots so I didn't mention it). The application process is not short (background check, officer application, physical at a MEPS near you, & interview) so make sure that you get started TODAY if you are interested. Also, someone above mentioned that there are 2 & 3 year scholarships; however, to my knowledge, these are much fewer and farther between these days due to the fact that the 2 & 3 year scholarships were previously used in order to fill the previous year's 4 year spots and this is no longer a problem with the recession and everyone realizing how great of a program HPSP is.

Edit: Above may not have been clear so here's a hypothetical. Say the Navy has 10 spots to give out a year but for the graduating class of 2015, is only able to find 9 students to sign up. They would then, the following year, give out a 3 year scholarship to someone so that in 2015, they would have the 10 dentists they need. Not filling spots is no longer common in the Air Force or Navy (a fact reflected in my above statement that you are probably too late for the Air Force) so I've heard 3 yr scholarships in these branches are no longer common. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Congrats on your acceptance, btw!!

A former Army dentist that I shadowed went over this with me. He said that after your 4 year commitment, you are free to go, but there is that little clause that they are able call you back anytime during an 8 year period. He also added that it was very unlikely as he didn't think anyone has ever been called back up before after they served their commitment.

e

They haven't called anybody from inactive duty for over twenty years so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just understand that the government has the right to call you back into active duty whenever they feel like it. The Air Force does not do a signing bonus. They seem to be the more "popular" branch to get into so they don't need the $20k incentive.

I agree with the above poster, I got tons of information just reading other threads. I slightly disagree about the amount of scholarships however. The military will always have the 3 and 2 year scholarships available. This is because not every applicant makes the decision before they're accepted to dental school.

I am applying for both the Navy and the Air Force right now. The Air Force recruiter said that I need to have everything to him by the 15th of this month. Just FYI