airline tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

GatorWell

Where is the cheapest place to get airline tickets. I am flyin to New York and it ranges from 160 to 200 dollars. Are they good deal? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try expedia, cheaptickets, msn, yahoo...

Round trip, thats good.

I flew from LA to Miami round trip last year for $200, but i had my ticket a month in advance and my buddy is a travel agent.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow that's is cheap. Mine is 250 bucks ! My interview with NYU is on Sept 26. what is your ?

I haven't heard from NYU yet. I have turned in my application late so I should probably give them more time :) But I did hear from a couple of schools I have applied to in North.. YAHOO! :)

I was excited first... now I am lookin at the prices of the tickets.... OUCH! there goes my summer saving!! I am going to try to rescedule one of them. I hope I hear from the rest of schools soon! I was told priceline.com is good... I think i might try there! Thanks you guys.

if you find a ticket for $200 roundtrip to anywhere, i suggest you don;t waste a second and book it. trust me thats a good deal.

man... hotel accomodation in NY is killing me. 2 nites for nearly 600 bucks. Good things : just .25 miles away from NYU, next door of Broadway theater.

Originally posted by larryt
man... hotel accomodation in NY is killing me. 2 nites for nearly 600 bucks. Good things : just .25 miles away from NYU, next door of Broadway theater.

Not only the hotels, but the cost of living in NYC will cost alot of coin. Something to think about when you decide which school you want to go to.

i also heard that if you try to book your airfare and hotel at the saem time, it would end up being a lot cheaper.

Larry,

which hotel are you staying at in NYC?? do you have any friends to stay with??? save your $$ and get a cheaper hotel room. you should be able to find deals like $75/night (with shared bath) and you can use the public transportation the day of your interview.
for my interview at NYU last year, i stayed with a friend and took the subway the day of interview to the school...i got there at 7:30 am. ((DO NOT take a cab to the city as that is the rush hour time and you will spend 45 min only in traffic)

for my NYU interview i spent:
$50 bus ticket + $4.75 subway token = $54.75 total

Comet

Hi comet !

This is my first time to NYC, I don't know anyone there. I will stay at DoubleTree hotel on Broadway. it is only 5 min away from NYU. I tried to book Hilton at Time Square (closer to NYU) but no more room available. Anybody know approximately how much for the taxi from Norwark airport to NYU ? this will be my first time using cab service also.

Larry,

you are going there a day in advance, right? call up the hotel and ask them how to get there from the airport using the subway. NY has the most passenger friendly subways that i have ever seen. if you have ever used subway befere, you have no problem.
that evening/night you have plenty of time to goaroud, get lost few times, and find the NYU building... so the following morning, you know where to go.

good luck to you,

Comet

Anyone going to NYU on the 26th for an interview?

Does anyone know if all applicants receive an interview from NYU or is it selective?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
airfare is expensive....200 from fla to newark (ewr) is very good. i agree with going travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, expedia.com, etc and shopping around for best airfare...

hotel wise, the best site i've found is hotwire.com. you can select the part of town you wish to stay (i'd go with midtown eastside as a selection...this way you know you'll be convenient to nyu and can take a city bus to the school...i've just checked rates and for 4+ star hotel (very, very nice) you'll pay $146/nt, not cheap by any means, but in a nice and convenient part of town. the thing with hotwire is that you don't know the name of the hotel until you purchase, but i've used them and have never been disappointed (although i would never book less than 4 star, but that's just me)....hotel is probably something like le parker meridien or such (REALLY nice)

here's a site for newark airport http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrframe.HTM
taxi from newark to manhattan will cost at least $70 + tip...check out the transportation area on the newark airport site and you'll find that you can get transportation to manhattan for MUCH cheaper (between $10 and $20)

good luck to you, and enjoy your trip to nyc.

to Larryt:

As a lifelong New Yorker, here's the REAL scoop on planning your trip to NYC:

- Find air fares that takes you to LaGuardia if possible. LGA is MUCH closer to Manhattan than the other two airports, and MUCH easier to get to and from. Unfortunately, NONE of the NYC-area airports are served by subways. JFK and EWR are both getting a brand-new rail system that will connect them to the subways but I don't think those are up and running yet.

- Book yourself a reputable hotel in either Downtown or Midtown Manhattan on the East Side. If that DoubleTree hotel you booked is the one on 47th and Broadway, it is NOT 5 minutes from NYU (whoever told you that obviously has never been to NYC). More like 40 minutes if you get stuck in a cab during rush hour, and probably that long too if you take public transportation.

- Definitely arrive 1 day early so you can get the lay of the land. As the other guys advised, rush-hour traffic in the streets of Manhattan can be killer. Think public transportation whenever possible.

- Unfortunately for NYUCD, it is at least a 15-minute walk from the nearest subway station (the IRT at 23rd Street and Park Avenue). If you plan on taking the subway, factor that walk into your time budget!!

- And no, the Brooklyn Bridge is NOT for sale. :D

I can't wait to graduate so I can get back to my hometown.

thank you everyone for your help !

what is the rush hour around that school ? especially in the morning.

Once again, UBTom is right on the money about NY. I was laughing too about whoever told you that it was 5 minutes to NYU from Times Square. That must have been one hella fast cab ride.

NYU is kinda in the middle of nothing. I stayed at a hotel that NYU recommended: Club Quarters Midtown ($110). Kinda uptown a little bit (45th/5th)

http://www.lodgingsavings.com/hotel/New_York/Club_Quarters_New_York__Midtown_.html

but it got the job done. I told them I was interviewing at NYU and they knocked down the price. I took a cab in the morning of my interview and got there way ahead of time. I don't know, I must have gotten lucky but I don't think there's much traffic goin downtown on 2nd Ave as many people on this forum says...who knows.

Call NYU and see where they suggest to stay. Good Luck

Yeah, Times Square is a bit far from NYU. You can get a room at the YMCA on 47th street bw 2nd and 3rd for 80ish a night. It's the Vanderbuilt branch and it would take about 20 mins walking, 10 mins by subway and 3 mins by cab. The 6 train is near so you can take it to the 23rd street stop.
Yeah, traffic is not really a problem on 2nd ave past the 59th street bridge. Most of it comes from crosstown traffic and it's gotten better with the thru streets on 49th, 51st, etc...

Oh mine ! I'm getting scare. Thank everyone for your help. I will have to rearrangement my accomodation.

I have never used public transportations (buses, subway) or taxi in Houston at all. Our car is our life down here.

Public transportation is awsome. just remember to allow extra time for getting lost and not be shy to ask directions from strangers.
on the side note: the subway in NY will look intimidating to you (especially those huge stations) but its all good.

Comet

I just got my ticket from LAX to LGA (for NYU, thanks UBT). $165.00 plus taxes/fees $198.00! roundtrip

Got it through Travelocity / Spirit Airlines.

Beat that!

I used spirit as well, from lax to lga. There was 1 stop in detroit and I paid 320 round trip. depends which days you travel i guess

try using orbitz or travelocity.
i get a ticket from Orange County to JFK for 212 during summer time.

Sometimes you can get a good deal if you purchase motels as well.