Airports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do y'all know what airport I would use in New York if I'm going to Albert Einstein interview? Also, do you know how far this airport is from the airport in Albany?

My problem is this: I have an interview at Albany and at Albert Einstein (not exactly the problem ). THey are three days apart from each other so I only have to fly out there once. But I want a roundtrip ticket because getting a ticket to two different airports will be really expensive. So I plan to fly into Albany airport, go to my Albany interview, take a taxi to Albert Einstein, do the AE interview, then taxi back to Albany airport to fly home. Obviously this won't be all in one day. But the point is I want to use one airport so that I can get a roundtrip ticket. What do you guys think? Which airport would allow me to do so? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

New York and Albany are about a 3 hour drive apart, although I'd allow twice that. I assume you will be renting a car, not taking a taxi.

how do you propose i do this? should i get a two-way fare to Albany, then drive to AE, and then drive back even though this will be 12 hours total? Or should i get one-way trips, which is really expensive? what do you suggest? has anyone done this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably buy a round-trip ticket to Albany, rent a car, and drive from Albany to NYC the day before the Einstein interview. Since you have a few days between the interviews, you could take the opportunity to spend some time in NYC.

It might also be possible to take a train from Albany to NYC. You could probably find more information about this on the web, or from SDN'ers more familiar with New York than I am.

You can take Amtrak, there is a direct link between Albany and NYC, with stops at White Plains, possible the Bronx. Syracuse to NYC roundtrip was $140, so perhaps your trip would be just under a 100? Check amtrak.com

For travel between NYC and Albany, Greyhound is cheaper ($88) and faster (2 hours) than Amtrak (3+ hours because of all the stops). I don't know where Ranger Bob got his travel time, but I think 2 to 2 1/2 hours will cover it whether you rent a car or take Greyhound. (I just did this recently for traveling between my Columbia and Albany interviews.) It might be cheaper to fly into NYC than flying into Albany, I know it definitely is from Alaska. Best of luck with your interviews. :)

take greyhound, its simple and cheap. If you got a ride to Poughkeepsie somehow, you could take the commuter train from there to Grand Central ($10). If I were you, I'd take greyhound. Flying in/out of Albany airport is a little pricey, and if you have the time, take the bus.

If I were you, I'd fly into Albany and do my interview there. Then, take the amtrak or greyhound to Albert Einstein (which is in the Bronx). The interview there is short, you'll be out by 2pm ish, if you are interviewed first before lunch. Then take the train/bus back up to Albany that day (trust me they got trains/buses leaving every hour) and go home from Albany. Might have to spend that night in Albany and then take off the next day.

Still think it might be cheapest to fly into NYC and take the Greyhound up to Albany -- you can do this all in one day. When I flew into NYC from Alaska, I arrived around noon (I did take the red-eye out of here), which would have left plenty of time to take a bus, or drive, to Albany. You'll be done at Albany mid-afternoon, leaving plenty of time to take a bus back to NYC the same day.

which airport in NYC is closest to AE? There's JFK, La Guardia, etc. Anyone know? THanks y'all