AKT 6 vs AKT 12 vs AKT 18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are the differences in these tests? Dont they all ask about anesthesia? I cant imagine a CA1 would be expected to know about how to manage an open heart but I would assume they would need to be 'aware' about all the different things out there.

How are these tests 'level' specific?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a question about these tests too. One of the place I interviewed at makes you take one every 6 months. If your not up to some standard they can extend your residency or kick you out. Should I be worried about this?

So what are the differences in these tests? Dont they all ask about anesthesia? I cant imagine a CA1 would be expected to know about how to manage an open heart but I would assume they would need to be 'aware' about all the different things out there.

How are these tests 'level' specific?

I am not familiar with the 12, but the 18 has alot more subspeciality questions, and in fact the scores are broken down by speciality (i.e. peds, ob, cardiac, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been described in greater detail in another post, but here is a short synopsis:

AKT 0,1, and to a lesser extent 6 - Basically just the basics of anesthesia. Much more straight forward questions than the inservice exam. A good description would be the first 7 or 8 chapters of the old Baby Miller book. Drugs, equipment, airway issues and some basic phys. If you have had the chance to read those chapters and have had any OR experience as an intern the first couple of tests should be fairly straight forward. This is not to say that it is easy, but it is the type of test that you may not know the answer, but know you could or should have known it (if that makes any sense).

To be honest, I can't remember AKT 6, but 0 and 1 were the exact same test.

AKT - 18 This test is a reflection specific to the subspecialties. There were few, if not any, questions regarding drug mechanisms, equipment, etc unless it was related to the subspecialty (drugs specific to CV case). In my opinion was not as straight forward as the AKT 0 and 6, but still much more standard than the in-service. Again, there were definitely questions I could not remember, but most of them I knew I could have and should have known. There (at least in my case) are always questions on the in-service that I would not have gotten if I had 10 years to study just because they seem to come out of left field.

These tests are a huge pain to take, but they seem to be a pretty good assessment (individual wise) of were you are. It was nice to see topics that appear to have importance to test creators. You will be able to tell what areas are strengths (usually as much to do with your residencies strengths as your readings to this point) and which areas will require more independent study to get up to snuff.

There is no AKT 12, though most programs will have you take the in-training exam at 12 months.

The content outline for the 0, 1, 6, and 18 are at http://www.metricsinc.org/ihsgae.htm.

Correct. If your program has an orientation month, You take the AKT-1 on the first day and the last day to establish your "baseline", and also to assess the effectiveness of your program's orientation. You should also take the ITE during that month. Then you take the AKT-6 in Jan (while still a CA1), the ITE in Jul (as a new CA2), the AKT 18 in Jan (as a seasoned CA2), and finally the ITE in Jul as a new CA3. At least that's the way we do it--you get tested every six months until the start of your senior year, and are expected to make certain performance milestones or suffer the consequences.

A few of the programs I interviewed at don't use these (or at least not every one). Would it be possible for a resident to take the exam even if the program didn't normally do it?