Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As of now it is definitely a lottery. There is a lottery sign up on the portal. Its not active, but the tab is there.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little late to the game, but I just had my AACOMAS sent out the other day and got an email from the ACOM today stating that my application is under review. If you are granted a secondary does that pretty much mean you'll get an interview? I am just wondering because from the email it sounds as though they are evaluating more than just my grades and MCAT. Also, does anyone know if there are any seats left?

I'm sure there are seats left. Best of luck to you!

I'm a little late to the game, but I just had my AACOMAS sent out the other day and got an email from the ACOM today stating that my application is under review. If you are granted a secondary does that pretty much mean you'll get an interview? I am just wondering because from the email it sounds as though they are evaluating more than just my grades and MCAT. Also, does anyone know if there are any seats left?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people were accepted so far and how many deposits were made?

I'll be giving up my interview spot for 2/28. I hope it goes to one of y'all!

for those who got interviews this past week, can you share when you were complete?

how do you know this? this is horrible news for those interviewing. is it 2/3s of the way full in regards to acceptances or deposits?
I called them earlier today and I asked her how full the class was. She also told me that its getting late in the application cycle which is opposite of what other admissions people have told me. Apparently ACOM is filling up fast.

I called them earlier today and I asked her how full the class was. She also told me that its getting late in the application cycle which is opposite of what other admissions people have told me. Apparently ACOM is filling up fast.

This does not take into account for those who will not pay the 2nd deposit. So those of you hoping to get in--DON'T WORRY!! They told us they accepted almost 2.5x the number of people than seats there this past year and are going to do so again for this fall.

Reactions: 1 user
This does not take into account for those who will not pay the 2nd deposit. So those of you hoping to get in--DON'T WORRY!! They told us they accepted almost 2.5x the number of people than seats there this past year and are going to do so again for this fall.
My bad if I got people worried or anything I was just repeating what was told to me. I'm still hoping for an interview at least. Gotta keep our heads up!

I wouldn't worry a whole lot. They will interview until the end of May and if I recall correctly, either Dr Reynolds or one of the students told our group that 42/80 on the wait list was eventually accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't worry a whole lot. They will interview until the end of May and if I recall correctly, either Dr Reynolds or one of the students told our group that 42/80 on the wait list was eventually accepted.
that gives some hope ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the best way to contact admissions office? via e mail or phone? I received an e mail from them this morning but it's saying, "Undeliverable: Active Directory/Network Credentials‏.
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it." I am so confused by this.

What is the best way to contact admissions office? via e mail or phone? I received an e mail from them this morning but it's saying, "Undeliverable: Active Directory/Network Credentials‏.
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it." I am so confused by this.
give them a call. They are nice and helpful.

I just received an interview invite for March 14th. My file was complete January 7th. Well I hope I wasn't too late!

Last edited:
About a week ago, I got an email saying that they received my supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. and its being reviewed and they will let me know if chosen for an interview. Now I checked my spam and all folders but did not receive any information for logging into the portal to check my status. Can any one tell me if they something similar or it should be different?

Does anybody know if ACOM has a dress code, attendance policy, recorded lectures?

Does anybody know if ACOM has a dress code, attendance policy, recorded lectures?
We were told last week that there is a business casual dress code (no jeans, gym shorts & scrubs appropriate for OPP labs aka OMT), 80% lecture attendance and 100% lab attendance. I do not remember if they said that lectures are recorded or not. I am assuming they are because the lecture halls were really, really nice with what looked like overhead cameras.

Has anyone from the 1/10 interview heard anything? I thought we were supposed to hear by today.

We were told last week that there is a business casual dress code (no jeans, gym shorts & scrubs appropriate for OPP labs aka OMT), 80% lecture attendance and 100% lab attendance. I do not remember if they said that lectures are recorded or not. I am assuming they are because the lecture halls were really, really nice with what looked like overhead cameras.

The attendance thing is kind of weird though, things like lab and guest lectures marked as being mandatory, whereas lectures are not. There is typically no more than 2/3 of the class present at any one lecture, sometimes even less. So I'm not real sure how the 80% attendance is supposed to be enforced, or if it will be only considered if you do poorly.

Kripes I interview on the 10th as well and did not hear anything today.

Did you get an email on top of the call?

I interviewed on 1/10 and missed the call from Dr. Reynolds (called around 4:30pm eastern) on Thursday while I was in class. I called him back Friday morning with no response (left voicemail, no email yesterday either). I think he might have been busy with the next interview group, so hopefully we should all hear back on Monday!

I was complete same day as you, but no response =\
I was complete Dec 16 with no response. Graduated HS 20 miles from the campus, 26 MCAT, 3.51c/4.0s GPA. I wouldn't worry too much. Call the admissions office, they're very nice and helpful.

i was also complete on the 7th. but did not get a response. :(

I had a great experience with ACOMs staff (accepted 2018) and congrats to those recently accepted.

If you are curious about your status you could contact Karen Loftin at the admissions dept. I, and many others, had a quick turnaround with 2nd, ii and general communication.

I will be canceling interview for 1/31. hope one of you get it.

Hey everyone,
I'm a first year at ACOM. We just started our second semester yesterday. If anyone has any questions, concerns, comments about anything (faculty, location, financial aid, interviews, my personal feelings about the school, etc), let me know. One advantage you all have that we didn't is the ability to talk to current students, especially about a new school. So, I'm available to help.

Hi! I was accepted to the 2014 entering class. I was wondering if you know the remediation policy for ACOM. Some schools will hold you back if you fail X-ammount of course(s). Some have a 3-strikes and you're out policy. Just wondering what ACOM's policy is, if any. Thanks!

I ended up getting wait-listed at ACOM. I feel like I have a better understanding of purgatory as a result.

For those who have not visited the school yet, it is a terrific, state of the art building and the faculty, staff, and students were really great as well. It seems that ACOM administrators really push hard for their students to be successful and they are even footing the bill for comlex step 1 and step 2 (not the PE) and practice exams at the end of each semester for the first 2 years. Apparently, that is really expensive and if you are worried about this being a new school then it may be comforting to know that ACOM is really bending over backwards for their students which makes this such a great school.

Reactions: 1 users
I ended up getting wait-listed at ACOM. I feel like I have a better understanding of purgatory as a result.

For those who have not visited the school yet, it is a terrific, state of the art building and the faculty, staff, and students were really great as well. It seems that ACOM administrators really push hard for their students to be successful and they are even footing the bill for comlex step 1 and step 2 (not the PE) and practice exams at the end of each semester for the first 2 years. Apparently, that is really expensive and if you are worried about this being a new school then it may be comforting to know that ACOM is really bending over backwards for their students which makes this such a great school.

Those are huge positives at ACOM, and I got the same feeling that they are very welcoming and interested in making this school top rate. The COMLEX 1 & 2 bonuses are great.
Best of luck on getting off the waitlist. I heard at my interview they had something like 40 students drop their deposits last year and open up the waitlist - you have good odds.
Best to you

Last edited:
i called today and they told me i probably didn't receive an invite because i was on the cusp of what they consider competitive, which is 3.4 and 26. and so they told me i would be considered under review until they thought i should be given a chance. maybe if they are really desperate they will send me an invite lol. my numbers are low. 3.2 cum and sci, 25 and 23 mcat. :( i think i will take mcat again and try again next year.

This may have been answered by a current student already, but I'll chime in as well.

Business casual for lectures. There are some students who tend to push the interpretation of business casual (some wear hats and t-shirts to class at times), so I haven't seen how strict they really are with that policy. I'm sure if the Dean sees it, he'll comment, but it's not like there's a screening process. They require pants and closed-toed shoes for anatomy lab (everyone just wears scrubs, which most of us burned at a class scrub bonfire at the end of first semester). You can also wear scrubs for lecture too, which is nice. Gym shorts and t-shirts are highly recommended for OPP lab. Ladies should wear sports bras as well.

Every lecture is recorded. The video is a shot of the Powerpoint with audio. They also post videos from the camera for OPP lab so you can review what the professors demonstrate on the stage after lab.

Attendance policy: They say 80% for lecture. Currently, due to funding and accreditation, they actually are having us log in our attendance every day. I guess they need a way to show the government that there's a system in place to take attendance. The school is not taking any chances and are following every guideline to a T, jumping through all the hoops to make sure that the school is funded and becomes fully accredited. Now, other than beaurocratic reasons, a good attendance record is HIGHLY recommended. One, it forces you to come to class and helps stay on task if you're one who needs structure (I get sidetracked really easily), but more important, in case you need to meet with the student committee due to poor performance, they will look at your attendance record (LABS ARE 100%. NEVER, EVER MISS A LAB IF YOU CAN HELP IT!!! If you need to miss a lab, talk to them and get an excused absence) and if your record is poor, it looks REALLY bad and could be a determining factor to let you go. Show effort, and they'll like you and increases the chance of them giving you another chance. Be as professional as you can and they'll love you.

Congratulations to those accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist or who are waiting to interview.

PS, those who have an interview tomorrow, if you notice that current students may be jerks, it's because we have a neuro exam on monday and neuro makes everyone grumpy :) So, we're pre-emptively sorry.

Hey everybody- Long time lurking Non-trad here. Has anyone heard of any interview invites since the 16th? It's been kinda quiet. I was officially complete on the 22nd and got the "supplemental has been received" email on the 15th. It seems like the turn around is pretty quick IF they like you. Just don't know if I should be nervous or not even this extremely early on. Thanks- any insight is appreciated.

OOS applicant here (KY-resident)...Interviewing on Feb. 14th. Anyone else scheduled to interview on that day?

I will be making the trip from Kentucky on Feb. 14th. Glad to see a fellow Wildcat will be there,

Has anyone interviewed at both ACOM and CUSOM? I was just in North Carolina, will hear back by Friday, and want to know of the similarities/differences between the two schools if anyone knows. My interview for ACOM in March 7.

As far as the "free" COMLEX and NBOME practice exams (practice COMLEX), nothing is free, they are charging over $40k in tuition, you can be sure its coming out of there. My thought is that they do it that way because people will forget to budget for the extra money and then be scrambling to find it, or trying to get out of taking the practice exam because they don't want to pay for it. People were already trying to get out of taking the practice even though it didn't cost any extra money.

Hi! I was accepted to the 2014 entering class. I was wondering if you know the remediation policy for ACOM. Some schools will hold you back if you fail X-ammount of course(s). Some have a 3-strikes and you're out policy. Just wondering what ACOM's policy is, if any. Thanks!

Generally, as long as you fail less than two classes your first two years remediation is allowed.

+1! I really liked the school but I'll probably be taking my soma acceptance over this. Good luck to everyone!

How was the interview? Were there surprise questions? Did you feel comfortable with the interviewers? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!