Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what ACOM's stats are for out-of-state applicants? I can't find them on the AACOM CIB

Members don't see this ad :)
Application submitted. Good luck to everyone.

Does anyone know what ACOM's stats are for out-of-state applicants? I can't find them on the AACOM CIB

Thats not really a number that they publish, but you can bet it will be close to or a little higher than the average for the school as a whole. Only ~30% of each class is actually from Alabama, so you can call the admissions office and they will give you the most recent classes statistics.

This report my help you out some, it can also give you an idea of which schools have in-state or regional bias:
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2014_MatCOMState.pdf?sfvrsn=6

I found it here: http://www.aacom.org/reports-programs-initiatives/aacom-reports/matriculants

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a 'primary received' email.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a "primary received" email as well! :)

The primary received email, was it from ACOMAS or ACOM?
I submitted my primary June 17th and ACOMAS still says verifying.

I was an applicant for the 2013-2014 cycle and although I did not attend this school, out of all the schools I interviewed at, this one was my favorite (it was also my very first interview, I was one of the first groups). The dean, faculty, campus, and even community were extremely welcoming. From the moment you walk into the school, you feel how they dedicated and driven everyone is. I ended up choosing another DO school that is close to home but wanted to share this with you guys. Be yourselves in all your interviews, it will take you far and don't get addicted to SDN!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The email was from ACOM.
If you wouldn't mind me asking, what was the date you submitted your application through ACOMAS?
It has been three weeks and my application is still not verified.

If you wouldn't mind me asking, what was the date you submitted your application through ACOMAS?
It has been three weeks and my application is still not verified.
I submitted my application May 21st and it was verified June 12th. However, my official mcat scores weren't posted until later. I think about a week after I was verified. I had to re-submit my mcat scores because it had been a month and they still hadn't posted them. When I re-sent them, they were posted within a week.

Anyone else having issues filling out the AACOMAS ID box for the secondary? On the left side it says AACOMAS ID and on the right side of the box in red it says social security number. When I try to put in my AACOMAS ID it says that its to many numbers.

Just in case anyone else is having this issue, I called ACOM and they said they are working on it and will notify me when to retry. They do not want our social but do want our AACOMAS ID.

Anyone else having issues filling out the AACOMAS ID box for the secondary? On the left side it says AACOMAS ID and on the right side of the box in red it says social security number. When I try to put in my AACOMAS ID it says that its to many numbers.

Just in case anyone else is having this issue, I called ACOM and they said they are working on it and will notify me when to retry. They do not want our social but do want our AACOMAS ID.
Crap I used my social..

Secondary submitted. I used my SSN because that's the only thing that would go through. My AACOMAS ID is on the secondary essays.

I was an applicant for the 2013-2014 cycle and although I did not attend this school, out of all the schools I interviewed at, this one was my favorite (it was also my very first interview, I was one of the first groups). The dean, faculty, campus, and even community were extremely welcoming. From the moment you walk into the school, you feel how they dedicated and driven everyone is. I ended up choosing another DO school that is close to home but wanted to share this with you guys. Be yourselves in all your interviews, it will take you far and don't get addicted to SDN!!
was the distance thing the sole reason

i just got an email saying
"Earlier today you received a request to complete a Supplemental Application for ACOM. We are experiencing some problems with the online form and the ability to enter the CAS ID. We have just removed this field from the application. You can disregard that portion of the instructions. The CAS ID nor the social security number is required for submission. Thank you for your interest in the Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine."
https://ssp.acomedu.org/selfservice/admissions/application.aspx?applicationformid=1

when i clicked on the link for the secondary, there's a log in blank to the left but the whole application looks like it is available to fill out and submit without logging in. looks like we don't have to bother making an account although i do like that option so my info is saved in case i accidentally close my tab. i'll just have to do this in 1 go instead of using my sporadic down times at work

ACOM just scared me to death...with their email as I use gmail and you can read the first line of the message which reads:

"Dear X,
Earlier today you received a request to complete a Supplemental Application for ACOM."

Bc I'm at work and saw and filed the secondary notice from this morning saw the above and thought they were rescinding my supplemental invite like carnegie mellon and other places that accidentally sent acceptances to people who were supposed to get rejections...wow application cycle stress

ACOM just scared me to death...with their email as I use gmail and you can read the first line of the message which reads:

"Dear X,
Earlier today you received a request to complete a Supplemental Application for ACOM."

Bc I'm at work and saw and filed the secondary notice from this morning saw the above and thought they were rescinding my supplemental invite like carnegie mellon and other places that accidentally sent acceptances to people who were supposed to get rejections...wow application cycle stress
i would expect my secondary fees if that happened to me lol

yeah nearly fell out of my chair reading that..good thing is a good amount of ppl have left the office already and im staying an extra hr so not many ppl saw me looking like someone just pulled the rug right out from under me

Did anybody receive a confirmation email after submitting? I just uploaded my PDF and submitted and paid and everything... didn't get any confirmation.

lol for this question
"Have you ever been dismissed from or denied entrance to a college or university?"

Should I list the colleges that didn't accept me when i was in high school?

Can I apply if I did not take ACT or SAT?
Also do you guys know, can we add more than 3 experiences for work and volunteer? I do not see a button to " add more"

Last edited:
Did anybody receive a confirmation email after submitting? I just uploaded my PDF and submitted and paid and everything... didn't get any confirmation.
I submitted and did not get a confirmation email

Can I apply if I did not take ACT or SAT?
Also do you guys know, can we add more than 3 experiences for work and volunteer? I do not see a button to " add more"
I haven't taken them and I applied.

in the email with the link to the secondary, it says
"You will not receive a submission confirmation at this time. You will receive an email confirmation once the application and essays have been downloaded and saved to your file. Usually, this is done within two days. Email [email protected] if you do not receive confirmation."

submitted, will work on essays tonight.

Reading the secondary questions, I have answered all of this in my personal statement with great detail. Is anyone having to repeat a lot of the same information from their personal statement? I cant change what inspired me to pursue osteopathic medicine, therefore I would have to repeat what I have already expressed in the statement.

Personally I have not mentioned osteopathic medicine in my personal statement, not once. It was just "why medicine". I heard it's good to save "why osteopathic medicine" for secondary questions.

Reactions: 3 users
lol for this question
"Have you ever been dismissed from or denied entrance to a college or university?"

Should I list the colleges that didn't accept me when i was in high school?

No. That is not what's being asked. They want to know if you were ever kicked out and now allowed back in.

Are these the questions for this year too?

"What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?"

"In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician"?

Are these the questions for this year too?

"What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?"

"In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician"?
yep!

Reading the secondary questions, I have answered all of this in my personal statement with great detail. Is anyone having to repeat a lot of the same information from their personal statement? I cant change what inspired me to pursue osteopathic medicine, therefore I would have to repeat what I have already expressed in the statement.
Im with you on this. My personal statement pretty much sums up the question! :( I don't know what to do!

Thanks for sharing! Looks like the MCAT has increased quite a bit for the school. Hoping for an interview!

keep in mind the page with the MCAT score says *as of 4/15/15* I'm sure students both above and below that score have given up their spot since then. It will be interesting to see where that # stands once the year starts

Just received an email with log in credentials to track the status of my app

Just received an email with log in credentials to track the status of my app
Do you know where the status bar is or where our updated items are supposed to show up? Can't seem to find anything related to that.