Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the call off the waitlist today, but I already accepted another school, good luck to those of you still waiting!

Crap. So there's still a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight! I'm a few years from having to worry about this, but how do students normally adjust their housing situations during rotations? Does ACOM require a lot of on campus time during OM3 and OM4? Ill have a small family in tow (wife + kids) but I also have a lot of extended family in Birmingham. I'm trying to assess how realistic it would be to relocate during that time!

Once you move to your clinical site you don't have to come back to Dothan until graduation (you are required to attend by law to take the oath). We had OSCE's (fake clinical encounters) that were optional to prepare you for the trip to Philly to take COMLEX-2 PE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call at 4:30 PM yesterday (Monday), accepted! I had given up hope a month ago but hey it's never too late!
I'm from Florida too and I got accepted today. What a whirlwind of a day! I'm excited to be joining the class of 2020. ☺️

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I will be interviewing here next month so any feedback would be great! Also, does this school have any ongoing research projects? I cannot seem to find anything on the websites besides how to start a project.

Hey everyone! I will be interviewing here next month so any feedback would be great! Also, does this school have any ongoing research projects? I cannot seem to find anything on the websites besides how to start a project.
Excellent school with great staff. Not a lot in research. Last I heard they were looking at adding more in that area but not sure where it stands.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Once you move to your clinical site you don't have to come back to Dothan until graduation (you are required to attend by law to take the oath). We had OSCE's (fake clinical encounters) that were optional to prepare you for the trip to Philly to take COMLEX-2 PE.
How close are the "further sites". Moving would not be "ideal" for me. Two kids in a wife who will be stationed near the school.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

How close are the "further sites". Moving would not be "ideal" for me. Two kids in a wife who will be stationed near the school.

Im with ya, man! Non-trads unite!

Reactions: 1 users
Im with ya, man! Non-trads unite!
upload_2016-7-14_19-53-1.png

Someone pointed out that Troy and Centreville are no longer choices b/c they didn't attract enough students, but to answer your question the sites are not close together.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the scene will be like the weekend in between orientation and first day of classes? Will people be around? Debating whether or not to head out of town that weekend!

For you recent acceptances, I resigned my seat a couple days ago and a spot in a summerfield apartment has opened up. I was supposed to room with a real chill dude, join the FB group and look for brittney tomlin (the apt manager).

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current or incoming students living in summer field square apts have a dog? I'm wondering if there is a grassy area dedicated to dogs by the pet-friendly building.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any current or incoming students living in summer field square apts have a dog? I'm wondering if there is a grassy area dedicated to dogs by the pet-friendly building.

Not dedicated as per say but my dog likes the area around the playground area.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What is typical to wear for orientation on Monday (registration day)? For both gents and ladies.

Anyone going to the breakfast tomorrow morning at the golf club?

For those of you accepted, what were your stats?

So I filled out all the information, made the payment, uploaded my essays, and hit "finish". But I never got a "secondary complete" screen or anything like that. How do I know whether it was submitted or not? There was a "submit another application" button next to the "finish" button. I didn't think that was right though... Has anyone else had this dilemma? Should I try the whole thing over again, or email their admissions office? Is there anyway I can check my status?

So I filled out all the information, made the payment, uploaded my essays, and hit "finish". But I never got a "secondary complete" screen or anything like that. How do I know whether it was submitted or not? There was a "submit another application" button next to the "finish" button. I didn't think that was right though... Has anyone else had this dilemma? Should I try the whole thing over again, or email their admissions office? Is there anyway I can check my status?

Just give them a call. However, my experience was the same as yours. If you made the payment and uploaded essays you should be good.

How do we check the status of our application? I received a complete email a few days ago, but there's no information on how to access a portal or anything.

what are some recommendations for apartments near the school?

There are
Summerfield on-campus apartments (smaller and more expensive than off-campus, but with the benefit of walking to school etc.), and the following off-campus:
Sweetwater apartments,
Fieldcrest apartments,
a neighborhood of rental houses within walking/biking distance to campus. Several students & a few faculty live there. I'll have to ask classmates about the street name.
I'm sure there are other apartment complexes, but those are a few off the top of my head. Probably close to half the class live in off-campus housing. If you join your class Facebook page (assuming you've already been accepted to ACOM), there will be lots more housing info on there.