Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Excellent point, lol. ill be sure to hone in on that (hoping that i get an II opportunity)
i appreciate the feedback!
did you interview/get accepted to ACOM?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had an interview 12/2. Anxiously waiting for the results!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an interview 12/2. Anxiously waiting for the results!

well best of luck to you! i'm sure you'll have some good news soon

ill be sure to post any news and (frantically) ask lots of questions

Thank you so much for the information! I was able to bump my interview up from February 24th to January 27th this morning, but am still pretty nervous about having a relatively late interview date. Did they happen to provide any information about how many students they were looking to have matriculate total for the coming year? I know their inaugural class size was 162 so I assume it would be somewhere relatively close to there.
I'm in the Class of 2020 and we started the year with a class size of 171, not sure what we'll finish with.

Members don't see this ad :)
well best of luck to you! i'm sure you'll have some good news soon

ill be sure to post any news and (frantically) ask lots of questions

You need to go ahead and write your secondary answers (check one of the first handful of pages for the questions). Wouldn't be surprised at all if you got an interview. Stats are fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? Headed to Dothan later tonight :)

You need to go ahead and write your secondary answers (check one of the first handful of pages for the questions). Wouldn't be surprised at all if you got an interview. Stats are fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

awesome idea i didn't even think of that, thanks for that!!! will definitely look at those/pre-write those after my finals tomorrow.

cGPA 3.84 / sGPA 3.92 / MCAT 500
Volunteering at major hospital in Miami ER/Triage (~300 hours)
Research / Presentation for 1.5 years (~500 hours)
Mission Trip/Leadership Position for mission trip
> 400 hours shadowing
Strong LoR
etc

Once your ACCOMAS app is verified I would go ahead and give ACOM a call and show interest in the program. As it is a little late in the cycle the more proactive you are the better off you will be!

Reactions: 1 users
Pulling for you to get an acceptance!
Thank you so much! I'm getting antsy at this point. I keep thinking about the "slip ups" I had during my interview. I'm expecting a WL spot at this point, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised :) (I'm a terrible pessimist)

The human mind is a blessing and a curse. Have you decided where you're going to go yet? You were also accepted to the other school I want to go to (WVSOM). I'm jealous. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in Dothan and want to grab dinner tonight? I just got in for tomorrow's interview and have no idea where to go.

Anyone in Dothan and want to grab dinner tonight? I just got in for tomorrow's interview and have no idea where to go.
I'm a current student but out of town for the holidays, La Parilla is an amazing mexican restaurant (and it's affordable). I went there for my white coat ceremony. If you're looking to stay close to ACOM the mexican restaurant in the same lot as the Recovery Room is good too (my anatomy lab group and I would go there after labs sometimes).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current student but out of town for the holidays, La Parilla is an amazing mexican restaurant (and it's affordable). I went there for my white coat ceremony. If you're looking to stay close to ACOM the mexican restaurant in the same lot as the Recovery Room is good too (my anatomy lab group and I would go there after labs sometimes).
Firestone Pizza was a great place, albeit a little pricey.

La Parrilla was delicious. Thank you for the recommendation!

will be withdrawing my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of you fine guys and galz

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew from my 3/3 interview, if one of you deserving folks wants to pounce on that, be my guest! Good luck to everyone!

I was really impressed by ACOM today! They mentioned they are trying to send out interview results this week (committee is meeting tomorrow to evaluate interviewers from today), so I imagine anyone else waiting to hear back should be expecting this week? I'd be ecstatic to hear back the same week as my interview... Hopefully with good news though!:laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
I was really impressed by ACOM today! They mentioned they are trying to send out interview results this week (committee is meeting tomorrow to evaluate interviewers from today), so I imagine anyone else waiting to hear back should be expecting this week? I'd be ecstatic to hear back the same week as my interview... Hopefully with good news though!:laugh:
Good to know. I sent a letter of interest to admissions. I hope it made it to the adcoms in time.

interviewed on Friday the 9th and I really really enjoyed this school. Will be ecstatic if accepted.

I know that our tuition includes the cost of a laptop and tablet according to what they did for students last year, anyone know if this is going to be the case again for this coming year and what the models are? I have a fairly new laptop so I'm not concerned about that but I'm curious to know if we will be getting a tablet or not. If not, I might buy one before school starts since it seems like it could really come in handy

I know that our tuition includes the cost of a laptop and tablet according to what they did for students last year, anyone know if this is going to be the case again for this coming year and what the models are? I have a fairly new laptop so I'm not concerned about that but I'm curious to know if we will be getting a tablet or not. If not, I might buy one before school starts since it seems like it could really come in handy

From what I remember, you have a choice between a PC (it was Dell last year), or a Macbook. Per the student ambassador, most people chose the Mac. As for the tablet, I'm not sure if it's something that will be continued for the upcoming class. :( A great question to ask an ambassador though: http://www.acomedu.org/studentambassadorprogram/

From what I remember, you have a choice between a PC (it was Dell last year), or a Macbook. Per the student ambassador, most people chose the Mac. As for the tablet, I'm not sure if it's something that will be continued for the upcoming class. :( A great question to ask an ambassador though: http://www.acomedu.org/studentambassadorprogram/

Two of the ambassadors at my interview yesterday seemed unsure whether they would continue it next year. They couldn't say for sure.

Dr. Reynolds told us we get a MacBook Air and an iPad mini(since it's harder to cheat off of)

Have any recent interviewees heard anything new about waitlist movement? I seem to remember back in August that there MAY be movement around this time depending on dropped/submitted deposits, but this seems to conflict with everything else Ive heard about waitlist movement not happening until Spring...

For the deposit, do we get any sort of confirmation from the school that we have paid it? I followed the instructions and it just shows that I have paid $2,000 on my account.

We use the iPad mini for tests/quizzes, and I don't foresee them changing that any time soon.

Just released my Jan. 27th interview date as I've decided not to attend.

just got accepted! dec 2 interview

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Omg I just got the call accepted

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the call from Dr. Reynolds!!! Accepted

Reactions: 9 users
Come on Dr. R CALL MY FELLOW COMRADES

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Have any recent interviewees heard anything new about waitlist movement? I seem to remember back in August that there MAY be movement around this time depending on dropped/submitted deposits, but this seems to conflict with everything else Ive heard about waitlist movement not happening until Spring...
Wondering the same thing. Any fellows have an idea?

Wondering the same thing. Any fellows have an idea?
I doubt there would be any if much movement this early. Dr. Reynolds mentioned yesterday that over the past two years they have had spot on 25% of the class size were recruited off the waitlist around the May-July timeframe. :)

Just got out of work with a voicemail from Dr. Reynolds with an ACCEPTANCE. FIRST ONE OF THE CYCLE. I CAN'T HANDLE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW!!!! :D :D :D

Oh and I interviewed last Friday, talk about QUICK turn-around! Freaking love you ACOM!

Edit for clarification: last Friday means 12/9

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Just got the call from Dr. Reynolds. I'm ecstatic and humbled. I thought I completely screwed up the interview and wasn't expecting this at all. The school blew me away so I'm 99% sure (life can always throw some curveballs at you) I'll be a Dothan-ite? Dothanian? Dothan-smurf? come fall of 2017. For fellow accepted applicants, congrats and I can't wait to see (some) of you next year and now the holidays can be properly enjoyed. For those of you still in this arduous and stressful process that is the application cycle, keep your hopes up. I have a rather, let's just say, 'different' background that I was sure was going to keep me from realizing my dreams but it took several years of redemption for this day to come for me. On a lighter note, does ACOM have a mascot?

Reactions: 9 users
I hope he's calling in the order that we were interviewed. If not, FML

Anyways, congrats everyone :)

When did you interview? If you don't mind me asking

I interviewed yesterday. He said that they're going to notify everyone by tomorrow morning at the latest because that's the first deposit deadline. On the phone, he said that e-mails will go out tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users