Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my official acceptance in the mail today! Yep, I sure did put it on my fridge like an elementary schooler!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
As cheesy as it sounds, I look at myself like a college athlete who didn't get drafted. UDFA's continue to train their tails off in the gym in hopes that they will receive a pro tryout, or an invitation to training camp.

I will be taking a full course load of upper level sciences at my local CC (OrgoII, Pathophys,Genetics,) while volunteering and working.

Soooo....I'll be plenty busy :)

Hey it's all good. At least you still have a fighting chance with the waitlist! And oh my goodness, you sure do have a lot going! Good luck with everything!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Got my official acceptance in the mail today! Yep, I sure did put it on my fridge like an elementary schooler!

Lol I'm currently looking for a nice frame for my letter. May or may not add neon lights to it. :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any IIs? I'm going to assume I've been silently rejected.

Any IIs? I'm going to assume I've been silently rejected.

I have not, but they can't silently reject everyone complete on 11/17! My guess is the school closed for the holidays and when they open back up again on 1/2 or 1/3, there will be a flood of interview invites. Just gotta stay patient!

I have not, but they can't silently reject everyone complete on 11/17! My guess is the school closed for the holidays and when they open back up again on 1/2 or 1/3, there will be a flood of interview invites. Just gotta stay patient!
I interviewed on 12/12 and was accepted on 12/13 because they were closing for winter break. They've been out since then. Don't worry!

Reactions: 2 users

Here's a link for the class of 2019 and 2020 doing the mannequin challenge. I thought it turned out petty well!

Reactions: 6 users
Still haven't heard anything from them. Do you think that going to the winter open house in February would help at all?

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to get an earlier interview date, preferably sometime in January. If anyone is thinking of letting go of their January interview seat, can you message me beforehand so I can grab that seat once you let it go? Thank you!

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to get an earlier interview date, preferably sometime in January. If anyone is thinking of letting go of their January interview seat, can you message me beforehand so I can grab that seat once you let it go? Thank you!
When were you complete?

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they ever open? I never get an answer on the phone.

They are probably still on break. I wouldn't expect anything until at least the 3rd. They always answered my calls and emails immediately.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

For those of you that have already interviewed, did you have the opportunity to interact with any of the current medical students throughout the interview day? Also, any last minute interview advice that you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Counting down the days until my interview on Friday!

For those of you that have already interviewed, did you have the opportunity to interact with any of the current medical students throughout the interview day? Also, any last minute interview advice that you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Counting down the days until my interview on Friday!
Yes, you get to interact with current students during a tour of the MMI lab. During my interview 3-4 current students spent about 30 minutes answering our questions in an informal Q&A panel style. You also get to have lunch and receive a full tour from current students.
For advice, go and enjoy yourself! Be honest about your motivations and enjoy this experience! I had a wonderful time and I hope you do too.

I interviewed on December 12th and was accepted the 13th. ACOM was my one and only interview so far so my stats are pretty borderline. I'd really encourage you to be yourself and definitely talk about any clinical experience you have. I talked a lot about working in a doctor's office and how it has taught me how to effectively interact with patients. Good luck!

Complete Nov 17, should I assume silent rejection? Or since their offices just opened back again this week, give them another week or so?

Complete Nov 17, should I assume silent rejection? Or since their offices just opened back again this week, give them another week or so?

I'm in the same boat as you - I was complete the same day, along with a few others on this thread, and haven't heard anything either. I think I may call the office at the end of the week if I don't hear anything. I thought this school had a quick turn around time :(

Anyone know when they start sending out matriculation packets? And if it's too early to fill out FAFSA?

I'm in the same boat as you - I was complete the same day, along with a few others on this thread, and haven't heard anything either. I think I may call the office at the end of the week if I don't hear anything. I thought this school had a quick turn around time :(
that's what i thought too see the many posts on here...i'm hoping the holidays just are delaying them and that this isn't a silent rejection

Gotcha, I just paid last night so I'll try and relax for a little lol.
. Wasnt anything too detailed just basically says you are subject to a drug screen, background check and have to update any transcripts after AACOMAS submission (if i read it correctly ACOM will accept AACOMAS submission as official transcripts). Also, immunizations must be up to date and orientation is mandatory and starts July 24.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Hey guys. I am having a mini panic attack about being able to receive GRAD plus loans. Are they really as hard to receive as SDN states?

Hey guys. I am having a mini panic attack about being able to receive GRAD plus loans. Are they really as hard to receive as SDN states?
Nothing is ever as hard as SDN states. The rules are very clean and you can get a free credit check.

What if the credit is terrible lol

You will need a cosigner/guarantor most likely. It's not a very comfortable conversation, but can you not get a parent or some other close relative with decent credit to cosign for you? For one thing, medical students tend to be on the more responsible side. A mom or dad signing for your grad plus loan that you will require to pay for the education you need to become a doctor isn't exactly a parent putting up their drug dealer child's bail money after he/she has been busted when the accused has a history of missing court dates... most people find that their parents or others close are willing to trust a future doctor.

Another selling point: the cosigner can rest assured that he/she won't be on the hook for your debts at all. Most med students end up consolidating their loans after graduation which removes the cosigner's responsibilities once you can start making payments.

That's more solution-type stuff, but a more direct response to your question is: yes, it can be hard to get a grad plus loan if your credit has any 'flags' at all. A classmate in my Master's program had a near perfect credit history (paid all bills on time, never late on payments, lengthy history of borrowing [at least by his own account], etc.) but was denied because a single hospital visit ended up not going through his insurance because he turned 26 literally during the 2 or 3 day hospital stay and was no longer on his parents' plan. He wasn't made aware of the billing issue by the hospital and apparently either didn't check or receive (or ignored) the bills in the mail, and it went into collections. That's enough for an 'adverse credit history' despite an overall good credit score and voila! No loan approval. I believe someone cosigned for him or he squared the bill away and it worked out in the end.

If you can't fix your credit well before school starts start thinking about having those conversations with your parents, siblings, uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc. whoever you need to in order to go to and pay for medical school.

On a side note: My sister, who finished up her PICU fellowship last year was hired by a hospital that, as part of the deal, agreed to pay off her med school loans and apparently this isn't that uncommon. Obviously it's really foolish to go into medicine for the money or for those who dream of becoming doctors to make their subsequent decisions based on debts and such, but if you work hard down the line there will be ample ability for doctors to make this current time of seemingly inescapable debt a distant memory. Focus on getting into school, being able to pay, and doing well. The dollars and cents will work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Would any accepted students mind sharing their stats? Thank you!

You will need a cosigner/guarantor most likely. It's not a very comfortable conversation, but can you not get a parent or some other close relative with decent credit to cosign for you? For one thing, medical students tend to be on the more responsible side. A mom or dad signing for your grad plus loan that you will require to pay for the education you need to become a doctor isn't exactly a parent putting up their drug dealer child's bail money after he/she has been busted when the accused has a history of missing court dates... most people find that their parents or others close are willing to trust a future doctor.

Another selling point: the cosigner can rest assured that he/she won't be on the hook for your debts at all. Most med students end up consolidating their loans after graduation which removes the cosigner's responsibilities once you can start making payments.

That's more solution-type stuff, but a more direct response to your question is: yes, it can be hard to get a grad plus loan if your credit has any 'flags' at all. A classmate in my Master's program had a near perfect credit history (paid all bills on time, never late on payments, lengthy history of borrowing [at least by his own account], etc.) but was denied because a single hospital visit ended up not going through his insurance because he turned 26 literally during the 2 or 3 day hospital stay and was no longer on his parents' plan. He wasn't made aware of the billing issue by the hospital and apparently either didn't check or receive (or ignored) the bills in the mail, and it went into collections. That's enough for an 'adverse credit history' despite an overall good credit score and voila! No loan approval. I believe someone cosigned for him or he squared the bill away and it worked out in the end.

If you can't fix your credit well before school starts start thinking about having those conversations with your parents, siblings, uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc. whoever you need to in order to go to and pay for medical school.

On a side note: My sister, who finished up her PICU fellowship last year was hired by a hospital that, as part of the deal, agreed to pay off her med school loans and apparently this isn't that uncommon. Obviously it's really foolish to go into medicine for the money or for those who dream of becoming doctors to make their subsequent decisions based on debts and such, but if you work hard down the line there will be ample ability for doctors to make this current time of seemingly inescapable debt a distant memory. Focus on getting into school, being able to pay, and doing well. The dollars and cents will work out.

Yeah I ran my credit report and I apparently had a $90 medical bill from 2012 that I was unaware of. Granted I changed addresses around that time and that could have been why I was never aware. Everything else is stellar. Apparently if it is over 2 years old from the credit report date, you should be fine though. At least, that is what I am getting from the research I have done. I have been told not to pay it/make payment because it will show up as a late payment and may actually effect getting the grant. I am going to call financial aid and get advice on this.

Just tried calling admissions to see what's up, but they were unavailable. I'm one of the unfortunate 11/17 completes, but I also have some pending grade updates that probably won't be complete for two weeks because my school's registrar was closed until two days ago. ARG. Would my grade updates continue to delay their decision to offer me a II?

Just tried calling admissions to see what's up, but they were unavailable. I'm one of the unfortunate 11/17 completes, but I also have some pending grade updates that probably won't be complete for two weeks because my school's registrar was closed until two days ago. ARG. Would my grade updates continue to delay their decision to offer me a II?

Were they not in the office? I was complete the same day. I plan on calling them tomorrow morning to "inquire about the status of my application." I don't know if what else to do at this point.

Were they not in the office? I was complete the same day. I plan on calling them tomorrow morning to "inquire about the status of my application." I don't know if what else to do at this point.

Yes they weren't in the office. I was calling today to ask the same question. I've been trying my best to be patient, but it's been 7 weeks now.