Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you receive your II? Stats if you don't mind me asking?
II received 1/6
3.6 cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 507 MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to reset my password for their login, but I forgot what I put for my favorite TV show.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students here share a typical day as a student at ACOM? Mostly 1st year experience...

As in, you go to class at 8am? What time does class finish, lunch break, labs, etc? What time are you typically free to leave campus, all that good stuff.

I'm just wondering what a typical Monday through Friday looks like as a 1st year here.

Days are going to vary, we don't have a set 8-5 schedule. Usually you'll have OPP lab every Tuesday in the afternoon for ~2 hours, first semester you'll have anatomy lab once a week ~4 hours (give or take), Primary Clinical Skills ~1 hour a week Thursday mornings, and lecture hours vary but are most commonly 8-noon + occasional DSA's (Designated Student Assignments - lectures you learn on your own). That being said you'll have some days with lectures from 8am - 5pm and some days with just 1 event. You will have a designated lunch hour everyday from noon-1pm.

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone who has received the matriculation package - have you guys started working on it yet? My main concern is the paperwork for student loans and financing and stuff like that.

I have STARTED but it's like, I have questions. So many questions.

Yasmine Hill was so amazing when it came to matriculation paperwork for me, if you have questions I recommend contacting her!
Thanks! I feel bad bothering people but I'm going to have to. Will be doing it next week! Are you looking for places to live in Dothan yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has a February 10th interview and would like to move it to February 3rd, DM me! I'm trying to switch to that date!

Thanks! I feel bad bothering people but I'm going to have to. Will be doing it next week! Are you looking for places to live in Dothan yet?
I'm a first year actually, and I just posted on the class of 2021 page about a couple rooms I'll be renting out. Everyone at ACOM is always more than happy to help and understands how overwhelming this whole process is :)

As an OOS student, does anyone know if I have to register my car with Alabama's DMV?

I just opened up a spot for an interview on Feb 3. Really wanted to go this week, but received an invite for Georgia-PCOM. Hope one of you can grab it!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone feel more grilled or have a good cop bad cop interview? I know others had a more laid back conversational interview. I'm just wondering why mine felt more awkward? Did anyone feel the same and how do they assign who has a more conversational interview versus good cop/bad cop? Thanks!

Did anyone feel more grilled or have a good cop bad cop interview? I know others had a more laid back conversational interview. I'm just wondering why mine felt more awkward? Did anyone feel the same and how do they assign who has a more conversational interview versus good cop/bad cop? Thanks!
Yep. I was grilled the entire time. My interviewer showed almost no emotion.

My guess is it's based on the applicants stats. They may want to see how the lower stat applicants hold up under stress/questioning.

I doubt it's assigned. If I had to guess it is down to 1.) Individual interview styles and/or 2.) The interviewer may have a concern about you/your application.

This is one of the main reasons MMI is a better predictor of med school success; the interviews are standardized and everyone gets the same experience (also removes interviewer bias) and interview performance has a much more reliable gauge.

For those interviewed on January 20th, did anyone hear back yet?

I remember Bob saying we'll hear back in a little over a week.

As an OOS student, does anyone know if I have to register my car with Alabama's DMV?

One thing that might be advantageous about registering with Alabama DMV is that car insurance in Alabama is very inexpensive. That might be something worth looking in to to see if its worth it for you.

Yep. I was grilled the entire time. My interviewer showed almost no emotion.

My guess is it's based on the applicants stats. They may want to see how the lower stat applicants hold up under stress/questioning.
@student 23

I don't believe they're assigned in any way.. I believe that it just comes down to the personality of the interviewers. I had a "good cop bad cop" interview, but I wouldn't think into it too much. Best of luck!

One thing that might be advantageous about registering with Alabama DMV is that car insurance in Alabama is very inexpensive. That might be something worth looking in to to see if its worth it for you.
I don't believe you have to get your car inspected either. That's a win!

For those interviewed on January 20th, did anyone hear back yet?

I remember Bob saying we'll hear back in a little over a week.

No, haven't heard back. Hoping it'll be this week.

I interviewed 1/20 and was accepted today! I got the call at 3:05 pm. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
Interviewed 01/20/2017 and got the phone call at 4:15 pm EST. I haven't received the email battery yet though.

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed 1/20 and was accepted today! Phone call came around 1 PM PST.

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlist :vomit:.

Those 3 that recently got accepted, stats please?

I've had interview troubles before that led to denials last year, but felt pretty strong with this one. They grilled me as well, playing good cop/ bad cop. Had some good answers where they were like "oh nice. Well done. yadda yadda". But I remember one where I was just kind of spinning my wheels and didn't give much of an answer. Also left on a sour note when the bad cop asked why I hadn't taken classes since 2014 (3 different jobs, 3 different places, and 3 different MCATS), but was directed more as a yes or no and was given no chance to explain.

Also I am from Arizona and hoping they didn't overlook me and think a SW kid doesn't want to move to the SE.

Interviewed 1/27 and just got the call!!!! Accepted!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Huzzah!

I got an acceptance call from Dr. Reynolds at around 6 pm. I interviewed on the 27th as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Does anyone know in general how many people they waitlist and take off the waitlist?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Does anyone know in general how many people they waitlist and take off the waitlist?
During our interview day they said like half or something. It's a large amount. They even accepted someone in the first week of class. When someone left for something. They said never after the first week because they don't want to **** anyone over academically

Been following the thread for a while! I am sooo excited for my interview on 02/24!

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted all my matriculation documents how do I confirm that they have been received? My portal says official transcripts and required matriculation forms now in the incomplete task list... I contacted them and they said if I have no pending course work I do not need to resubmit my transcript. Anyone know when that status changes and how to verify.

I submitted all my matriculation documents how do I confirm that they have been received? My portal says official transcripts and required matriculation forms now in the incomplete task list... I contacted them and they said if I have no pending course work I do not need to resubmit my transcript. Anyone know when that status changes and how to verify.

It is written in the instructions that no transcripts are required if your AACOMAS was fully updated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

How do you check it from the portal btw?

Waitlist :vomit:.

Those 3 that recently got accepted, stats please?

I've had interview troubles before that led to denials last year, but felt pretty strong with this one. They grilled me as well, playing good cop/ bad cop. Had some good answers where they were like "oh nice. Well done. yadda yadda". But I remember one where I was just kind of spinning my wheels and didn't give much of an answer. Also left on a sour note when the bad cop asked why I hadn't taken classes since 2014 (3 different jobs, 3 different places, and 3 different MCATS), but was directed more as a yes or no and was given no chance to explain.

Also I am from Arizona and hoping they didn't overlook me and think a SW kid doesn't want to move to the SE.

if im not mistaken, only half of the class is from the region. I applied as an AZ resident and am a first year.

It is written in the instructions that no transcripts are required if your AACOMAS was fully updated.

i) Go to the main website ii) select myACOM at the top right of the screen iii) Type in your user name and password iii) Then select resources and self-service. Let me know if yours says incomplete

i) Go to the main website ii) select myACOM at the top right of the screen iii) Type in your user name and password iii) Then select resources and self-service. Let me know if yours says incomplete
It says my official transcript is complete (ive done nothing). Matriculation packet is incomplete.

Not sure if relevant but I was accepted very early, end of August.

How did everyone receive a log in? I never got one when I got my secondary and just had a link and before I submitted the app.....

What did you check when you log in to self-service? I did not see anything in there
My student information page is technically blank, and also my checklist page.
@FCMike11 Should I email Mr. Willis?

Last edited:
What did you check when you log in to self-service? I did not see anything in there
My student information page is technically blank, and also my checklist page.
@FCMike11 Should I email Mr. Willis?
We've got a a good amount of time. It says my transcripts were processed late Jan so I bet they are working around to all of them.

Since they got mine through AACOMAS yours are available as well like mine were.

Does anyone know the dates of orientation and the first day of classes? As far as I know I haven't been provided an academic calendar for 2017-2018

Does anyone know the dates of orientation and the first day of classes? As far as I know I haven't been provided an academic calendar for 2017-2018

Most likely 7/24. Fall semester start date is 7/31.

Are they still trying to come up with more interview dates or did they just stop sending out IIs because all the dates are booked? I've been complete for a really long time and haven't heard anything