Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still trying to come up with more interview dates or did they just stop sending out IIs because all the dates are booked? I've been complete for a really long time and haven't heard anything
I hope they send more out! :/ same here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has it been longer than the three weeks they said it would take when you got the complete e mail?

Way longer. I was complete back in November. I've called twice to check the status of my app, and each time I've been told "complete and in review." :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Way longer. I was complete back in November. I've called twice to check the status of my app, and each time I've been told "complete and in review." :(
I'm Sorry :/ . I hope good news will turn up for both of us and maybe someone else will comment with some insight. The waiting game is no fun, especially this far down the line.
People are usually optimistic and say its better to not hear back yet than to get a rejection on the brightside. Does/has ACOM sent out pre-II rejections?

Bob Willis told me back on or around January 13th that they were trying to come up with more interview dates bc the ones they have scheduled are already full. I was expecting them to get some out there sooner than this...honestly, I would email him or Linda Goodson

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Bob Willis told me back on or around January 13th that they were trying to come up with more interview dates bc the ones they have scheduled are already full. I was expecting them to get some out there sooner than this...honestly, I would email him or Linda Goodson

Would it be all right to email either one of them and ask about the status of our application? I've called the admissions office before, but I never really get any new information.

Would it be all right to email either one of them and ask about the status of our application? I've called the admissions office before, but I never really get any new information.

There's nothing wrong with emailing!

Definitely email! Do you live anywhere near ACOM? I've always heard that it works to try and set up a meeting with an admissions representative and just chat with them.

Does anyone know the dates of orientation and the first day of classes? As far as I know I haven't been provided an academic calendar for 2017-2018

Orientation's July 24-28, so I'm guessing first day of class is July 31. :)

Has anyone heard any info on the costs associated with the medical outreach trips? I'd love to be able to participate during pre-clinical years but would like to know how it would fit into my budget

Reactions: 1 users
OH MAA GAHHH ACCEPPTTEDDDD!! Dr. Reynolds heard my victory scream while I was on the phone with him in the middle of starbucks :D

Applied to 24 schools, got 3 interviews, and 1 acceptance. Will be doing a write up of my experience during this (insane) process as an underdog 3.0sGPA 3.4cGPA 505MCAT

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, why the heck can't I pay for my darn deposit?!?! My credentials that I used to sign up for my interview aren't working on the ACOM portal. Anybody else having similar troubles? ...DID THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND?!

PLS TAKE MY MONIES ACOM
when was you interview and what time did you get the call?

Members don't see this ad :)
OH MAA GAHHH ACCEPPTTEDDDD!! Dr. Reynolds heard my victory scream while I was on the phone with him in the middle of starbucks :D

Applied to 24 schools, got 3 interviews, and 1 acceptance. Will be doing a write up of my experience during this (insane) process as an underdog 3.0sGPA 3.4cGPA 505MCAT

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, why the heck can't I pay for my darn deposit?!?! My credentials that I used to sign up for my interview aren't working on the ACOM portal. Anybody else having similar troubles? ...DID THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND?!

PLS TAKE MY MONIES ACOM

CONGRATZ!

PLS TAKE MY MONIES ACOM

Congrats!!!! I also had trouble with my credentials working, so I called and they transferred me to IT and the issue was solved immediately! :)

PLS TAKE MY MONIES ACOM
yes...we had a meeting and voted you off the island. JK. typically the passwords reset. just call the IT department or admissions dept and they can get you squared away.

Reactions: 2 users
II for 3/10!! Anyone know if this is too late in the game?? I saw they had interview dates scheduled all the way through April, but I would like to know. Thanks in advance everyone!

II for 3/10!! Anyone know if this is too late in the game?? I saw they had interview dates scheduled all the way through April, but I would like to know. Thanks in advance everyone!

Ah congrats! When were you complete?

PLS TAKE MY MONIES ACOM
CONGRATS! IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU :D

II just now for April 7th--hoping for some earlier dates becoming available though.
Complete 11/23

Ah congrats! When were you complete?

Thank you! I actually submitted in November, but didn't get complete for most schools, including ACOM if iirc, until like January 12. I suppose there was a lapse in receipt of my MCAT scores.

Can anyone provide any information on what interview day looks like here? Is the day really 8AM-3PM?

Can anyone provide any information on what interview day looks like here? Is the day really 8AM-3PM?
yes but honestly, the day went by very quick and the lectures they gave were very informative and helped me really fall in love with the school. It was a good day overall :)

II for april 7th! I was complete September! Does anyone know if it is too late by then?

is there any links to any of ACOMs match lists? I feel like Ive looked everywhere

Is there results from the past matchs?

our first class is just now eligible. post scramble we matched 100% of those who chose to stay AOA. the remainder chose to shift to the acgme or were already committed only to acgme.

our first class is just now eligible. post scramble we matched 100% of those who chose to stay AOA. the remainder chose to shift to the acgme or were already committed only to acgme.

Ah ok, do you know when the results by specialty get posted or anything like that?

Maybe it was just me, but this interview was by far the most draining out of my three.

Agree 100%. There was little to no organization to it, and it was so prolonged. We didn't even have a presentation about years 3/4. We had one great OMM presentation, then another presentation from a lady bragging about how smart she was and how successful her dad was. At the end, everyone just wanted out of there. One of the key presenters wasn't there so his assistant just read off the slides. The school is absolutely amazing, and I absolutely love the atmosphere, but the interview was my least favorite so far.

Maybe it was just me, but this interview was by far the most draining out of my three.

See I thought it was a very nice and easy (relatively speaking) interview day. Then again when I was there we had a truncated financial aide presentation and the dean of the school was gone so we didn't get the whole days worth of presentations.

See I thought it was a very nice and easy (relatively speaking) interview day. Then again when I was there we had a truncated financial aide presentation and the dean of the school was gone so we didn't get the whole days worth of presentations.

Lucky you! It could have been the 11 hour drive I had the day before, I guess. Lol.

Agree 100%. There was little to no organization to it, and it was so prolonged. We didn't even have a presentation about years 3/4. We had one great OMM presentation, then another presentation from a lady bragging about how smart she was and how successful her dad was. At the end, everyone just wanted out of there. One of the key presenters wasn't there so his assistant just read off the slides. The school is absolutely amazing, and I absolutely love the atmosphere, but the interview was my least favorite so far.
100% agree. By the time we had the financial aid presentation, I wanted to take a nap. Agreed on the school itself though. I LOVED ACOM.

My Interview ratings so far:

ARCOM > LUCOM >>ACOM

Last edited by a moderator:
ARCOM > Campbell > LMU-DCOM > LECOM > ACOM

but i have 1 acceptance, two waitlists, and one rejection. So I'm not skilled at interviewing to begin with, I guess. Who knows. All my interviews, I thought, went extremely well besides ACOM, and I haven't heard back from them yet. It's all a crapshoot

ARCOM > Campbell > LMU-DCOM > LECOM > ACOM

but i have 1 acceptance, two waitlists, and one rejection. So I'm not skilled at interviewing to begin with, I guess. Who knows. All my interviews, I thought, went extremely well besides ACOM, and I haven't heard back from them yet. It's all a crapshoot
Yep. I got rejected at my favorite interview, so YMMV.

The school was 1.) Very specific about curriculum style/board prep, 2.) detailed about rotation sites and selection methods, 3.) Thorough with financial aid - the guy gave some solid advice on things to do now to ensure you won't have any issues with loans.

No idea what students want more in an interview day. I've had /considerably/ worse where we couldn't get any details and others where the presenter was self-disparaging about the school.

Anecdotal here (half of my point, interviews are anecdotal and vary depending on your app & interviewer) - my interview was /extremely/ chill. One question asked who my best friend was, which caught me off guard (was nice though).

What I'm getting at - don't go into an interview expecting someone else's experience. If you go in thinking it will be negative, you tend to lean psychologically to confirm that type of encounter.

Expectations can kill an experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

The school was 1.) Very specific about curriculum style/board prep, 2.) detailed about rotation sites and selection methods, 3.) Thorough with financial aid - the guy gave some solid advice on things to do now to ensure you won't have any issues with loans.

No idea what students want more in an interview day. I've had /considerably/ worse where we couldn't get any details and others where the presenter was self-disparaging about the school.

Anecdotal here (half of my point, interviews are anecdotal and vary depending on your app & interviewer) - my interview was /extremely/ chill. One question asked who my best friend was, which caught me off guard (was nice though).

What I'm getting at - don't go into an interview expecting someone else's experience. If you go in thinking it will be negative, you tend to lean psychologically to confirm that type of encounter.

It wasn't a BAD interview day by any means. I enjoyed it a lot, and everyone was so nice. I just felt like I was overloaded with information.

I also think that my interview was fairly relaxed with maybe one question that I found a little tricky. I tend to like having more information so I appreciated the lectures. I somehow managed to fall asleep at 7pm the night before so I was rested and ready for a long day. I can understand how others might have had a less enjoyable experience being tired though lol

It wasn't a BAD interview day by any means. I enjoyed it a lot, and everyone was so nice. I just felt like I was overloaded with information.
Wasn't meant to be directed at you. Just something I was thinking about. I've seen a lot of people complaining about interviee days and I know generally how people can be influenced (not that if there is something legitimately bad it shouldn't shared).

What is the normal turnaround time post-interview?

What is the normal turnaround time post-interview?
they tell you that you will hear back on their decision within two weeks after your interview. I heard back in a week

Did you guys email your matriculation "step 1" documents right to Mr. Willis? Or some other general email?

Thanks!

Did you guys email your matriculation "step 1" documents right to Mr. Willis? Or some other general email?

Thanks!
I printed them out and sent them to the admission building. They arrived two days later and in 2 weeks I called and they confirmed that Mr.Willis received them.

I printed them out and sent them to the admission building. They arrived two days later and in 2 weeks I called and they confirmed that Mr.Willis received them.
I did the same thing. Sent it by snail mails to Mr. Willis then called the student representatives for confirmation

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but is there any facebook group or resource for accepted students? Just wondering.