Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted as well! Just got the call about 10 minutes ago. I was in the middle of Kroger practically in tears! Lol. I interviewed on the 10th of Feb.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those accepted! Any news from anyone in them making nkte interview dates ?:/

Congrats to those accepted. Do you mind sharing stats?

Congrats to my fellow class of 2021 members for the acceptance! I am looking for a female roomie to share a 2/2 apartment with me at at Summerfield! Please feel free to PM me if you are interested!

When I interviewed, they mentioned adding a couple more interview dates as they were originally scheduled until March 24. They've since added April 7 and April 21 and sent out II's for those a few weeks ago. Not sure if they intend to add any more

anyone else having trouble paying the deposit?

Reactions: 1 user
anyone else having trouble paying the deposit?

Was that your post on the page? I think you are in my class lol but yes I didn't get confirmation email until a day or two later. Just email Mr Willis and he can help you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Was that your post on the page? I think you are in my class lol but yes I didn't get confirmation email until a day or two later. Just email Mr Willis and he can help you

yeah it was my post. i paid the deposit on Thursday and I haven't really gotten anything back. I'm always skeptical that they accepted me on accident or something so I just want some type of confirmation. I'm excited for the Fall semester though!

yeah it was my post. i paid the deposit on Thursday and I haven't really gotten anything back. I'm always skeptical that they accepted me on accident or something so I just want some type of confirmation. I'm excited for the Fall semester though!

I think I sat next to you at LECOM B interview lol excited you chose ACOM! Great program :)

Does anyone know if ACOM has a policy or minimum requirement for the grades we need to make during our senior year after being accepted?

Does anyone know if ACOM has a policy or minimum requirement for the grades we need to make during our senior year after being accepted?

I'm not sure about a specific policy but generally you need to pass your classes at the minimum and also be finished with the pre reqs by orientation

I would still continue to work hard. Because the school will get your final transcript they will see if your grades just dropped once you got in. It's a big red flag for someone's grades to drop. It looks like they "stopped trying" because they got into school and that won't fly.

Hey everyone! I have an II here for March 10, which is a bit later than I'd hoped but what can ya do? I just want to know if you all have any advice for the interview day? Maybe, the interview itself isn't stressful, but the rest of the day is lengthy, etc. What could I do to prepare for this interview? Also, and most importantly, are all seats taken? I've had three interviews so far and have gotten waitlisted at all 3--likely due to how late I was able to apply because of health issues. Thanks in advance for any advice and input you can offer!

May I ask when you received your interview ?

Hey everyone! I have an II here for March 10, which is a bit later than I'd hoped but what can ya do? I just want to know if you all have any advice for the interview day? Maybe, the interview itself isn't stressful, but the rest of the day is lengthy, etc. What could I do to prepare for this interview? Also, and most importantly, are all seats taken? I've had three interviews so far and have gotten waitlisted at all 3--likely due to how late I was able to apply because of health issues. Thanks in advance for any advice and input you can offer!

May I ask when you received your interview ?

February 9th. It was via email, which linked me to a separate website where I could schedule my interview date. There were a bunch of dates open in April when I looked.

February 9th. It was via email, which linked me to a separate website where I could schedule my interview date. There were a bunch of dates open in April when I looked.

Okay thanks. I am still wait :/ but it has been pass the three weeks that they said it would take in the e mail I got.I wish you the best of luck on the interview though!

Okay thanks. I am still wait :/ but it has been pass the three weeks that they said it would take in the e mail I got.I wish you the best of luck on the interview though!
waiting*

Way longer. I was complete back in November. I've called twice to check the status of my app, and each time I've been told "complete and in review." :(
Did you ever try to reach out to ACOM?

Did you ever try to reach out to ACOM?

Oh yes, multiple times. I've called a couple of times, and even sent an email inquiring about the status of my app. No response to email. In my opinion, this is just rude. I think anyone still waiting at this point deserves an answer, whether that may be an II or a rejection.

Oh yes, multiple times. I've called a couple of times, and even sent an email inquiring about the status of my app. No response to email. In my opinion, this is just rude. I think anyone still waiting at this point deserves an answer, whether that may be an II or a rejection.
I completely agree. At the beginning of the cycle I was like I don't want to know if I am rejected. But now I see it is completely discouraging and leaves you in limbo. I would rather be rejected if that was the case. The whole silent rejection is ridiculous. I would think it would be easier on them if they just send out either or so they don't have to hear from extra people trying to get answers. I'm sorry again. I hope there is still some kind of hope for us. It be the first of March is just kind of putting me in a major funk of reality :(

I completely agree. At the beginning of the cycle I was like I don't want to know if I am rejected. But now I see it is completely discouraging and leaves you in limbo. I would rather be rejected if that was the case. The whole silent rejection is ridiculous. I would think it would be easier on them if they just send out either or so they don't have to hear from extra people trying to get answers. I'm sorry again. I hope there is still some kind of hope for us. It be the first of March is just kind of putting me in a major funk of reality :(

I had the same feelings you did at the beginning of the cycle. But now it's March, and those of us who haven't heard anything need to hear back. have other schools, besides this one, who I never heard from again after sending in the secondary. We paid the secondary fees, we have a right to know what's going on. I really do appreciate the schools that take the time and effort to let students know whether they've been selected for an II or not at a reasonable time. Rejections happen in life, and I would rather know now than later. I'm sorry as well. Let me know if you hear any good news soon!

Question for current/former ACOM students. Is there a website that you all use to sell furniture to incoming ACOM students? I spoke to Brittney from Summerfield Square and she mentioned that there might be something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I had the same feelings you did at the beginning of the cycle. But now it's March, and those of us who haven't heard anything need to hear back. have other schools, besides this one, who I never heard from again after sending in the secondary. We paid the secondary fees, we have a right to know what's going on. I really do appreciate the schools that take the time and effort to let students know whether they've been selected for an II or not at a reasonable time. Rejections happen in life, and I would rather know now than later. I'm sorry as well. Let me know if you hear any good news soon!
I will and you do the same. It will all work out, it is just a difficult process inevitably but we'll get to the destination one way or another!

Does anyone know if there has been movement off the waitlist? And if ACOM typically pulls a lot of students off?

Usual interview questions. They asked me about my leadership skills and why I think so many med students enter med school with a lot of empathy and compassion and leave without it which was the only tough one in my opinion. From reading this board it seems like everyone's interviews/interviewers are pretty different but all are open file and quite conversational/relaxed. Come prepared with questions to ask your interviewers. The day itself is long (I think we were done at 3:30) but didn't feel as long as other interview days I've been on. It's all very relaxed and pleasant in my opinion.

Usual interview questions. They asked me about my leadership skills and why I think so many med students enter med school with a lot of empathy and compassion and leave without it which was the only tough one in my opinion. From reading this board it seems like everyone's interviews/interviewers are pretty different but all are open file and quite conversational/relaxed. Come prepared with questions to ask your interviewers. The day itself is long (I think we were done at 3:30) but didn't feel as long as other interview days I've been on. It's all very relaxed and pleasant in my opinion.

Do NOT assume it will be relaxed. Go into the interview prepared to answer tough questions about weaknesses in your app.

That's all I'm going to say.

Does anyone know if there has been movement off the waitlist? And if ACOM typically pulls a lot of students off?

Won't happen until May.

Reactions: 2 users
I would still continue to work hard. Because the school will get your final transcript they will see if your grades just dropped once you got in. It's a big red flag for someone's grades to drop. It looks like they "stopped trying" because they got into school and that won't fly.

Most definitely. It's just that I'm currently taking a very difficult grad school level human anatomy right now and is afraid that if I get a C in that course that I might get my acceptance revoked D: . (Of course I will try all my best, but I do end up with a C, I just want to know what ACOM will think/do... :s)

how long after acceptance did any of you all recieve some type of a matriculation checklist or anything?

This post-interview wait is absolute torture!!!

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any info, I am interviewing here on March 24th, am I just interviewing for waitlist? or do they have spots? anyone know what their class size is, y'alls help is greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any info, I am interviewing here on March 24th, am I just interviewing for waitlist? or do they have spots? anyone know what their class size is, y'alls help is greatly appreciated.

They'll still have spots to give out at that point.

Most definitely. It's just that I'm currently taking a very difficult grad school level human anatomy right now and is afraid that if I get a C in that course that I might get my acceptance revoked D: . (Of course I will try all my best, but I do end up with a C, I just want to know what ACOM will think/do... :s)

Not sure about ACOM specifically but most schools I was accepted to just asked for completion of degree with all C's or higher

Has anyone from the 24 February interview heard anything, yet??

Interview on Friday! Excited to see what this place is all about

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone from the 24 February interview heard anything, yet??
Nope, haven't heard anything. Does anyone know what the hold up is? I feel like they'll be too busy with interviews tomorrow so this could potentially go into next week if we don't hear back today.. this wait doeee

Nope, haven't heard anything. Does anyone know what the hold up is? I feel like they'll be too busy with interviews tomorrow so this could potentially go into next week if we don't hear back today.. this wait doeee

Hey I'm an Accepted student and I was actually at your interview because my SO was interviewing and Mr Willis told me it would be within 2 weeks for you guys, so my guess is today since myself and many other were accepted on Thursdays

I just spoke to Mr. Willis. He says that with everyone being out of town, they're running behind on decisions. He said they'll go out possibly tomorrow? The wait continuessss

I just spoke to Mr. Willis. He says that with everyone being out of town, they're running behind on decisions. He said they'll go out possibly tomorrow? The wait continuessss
Oh man, I was really hoping for some anxiety relief today...

I know this is relatively unpublicized except by ACOM and AACOM, but for those interested:

https://www.aacom.org/news-and-even...acom-students-national-simulation-competition

TL;DR - Some of the second year students won the finals of the AMSA Simlympics. Both classes had beaten several other teams, so they were competing against each other in the final round. Now they (second years) will be heading to Paris for a neat international conference/competition this summer.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I got accepted at another school and will be retracting my interview for March 24 if anyone was interested in an earlier date, so look out for that, hope it goes it one of you :)

Hi! I got accepted at another school and will be retracting my interview for March 24 if anyone was interested in an earlier date, so look out for that, hope it goes it one of you :)

I saw your recent post on another thread and I would discourage you from re-applying. I want to really encourage you to attend the ACOM interview. I was accepted to both schools and have to say that there is something very unique about the community at ACOM which ultimately led to my decision to change my mind and drop the other school rather than ACOM

Last edited: