Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does scrub pant + T shirt count as wearing scrubs? Scrub tops tend to be pretty "papery" to me, if that's a word.

I've seen students do it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it's for OPP lab.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still curious how a non-ranked waitlist works. For example, I've been on the list since late last year and folks are getting pulled off after only a couple weeks. Doesn't that imply there's some sort of ranking going on?
I was sort of thinking the same thing. It does seem like the two who were pulled off yesterday interviewed late in the cycle. Theres also some indication that all/most of the late interviewers were initially waitlisted, and its likely that they went back through and pulled the best of those late(er) applicants off the WL... Im not sure what the rhyme or reason was in doing this.

I interviewed with the first group and have been waitlisted since then so I feel your frustration!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is most likely that the students who were mass waitlisted in the end were "delayed acceptances" due to lack of room in the class and people in the beginning are truly "alternates". I'm obviously not on the admissions committee, but this is my best guess.

Reactions: 2 users
It is most likely that the students who were mass waitlisted in the end were "delayed acceptances" due to lack of room in the class and people in the beginning are truly "alternates". I'm obviously not on the admissions committee, but this is my best guess.
I reallllllly hope you're right about that lol. This is my last hope of getting in for this cycle

I do remember them saying during the interview that they do delayed acceptance, so I am guessing that is what happened to those people getting accepted, I am guessing I am in the pile of just waitlist, waiting sucks :/

Side note, has anyone seen the match list? I heard it was great but I can't find it on the website.

Side note, has anyone seen the match list? I heard it was great but I can't find it on the website.
During my interview date they kept taking about how great it was but they said they wont publish until after this cycle

I spoke in person with Ms. Goodson at a health fair near me and she said that while they do delayed acceptances, its usually only a few.

Reactions: 1 users
For those that are accepted have you received any more information regarding the start date and is there anything else that needs to be done other then sending the matriculation packet?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that are accepted have you received any more information regarding the start date and is there anything else that needs to be done other then sending the matriculation packet?

Orientation starts 7/24 I believe and there are some clinical requirements (drug tests, titers, etc) that need to be completed as well as sending in final transcripts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What's the address for the Office of Admissions to send the Official Transcripts?

Just in case you all haven't heard yet, ACOM HAS JUST BEEN FULLY ACCREDITED!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 15 users
Just in case you all haven't heard yet, ACOM HAS JUST BEEN FULLY ACCREDITED!! :soexcited:

I'd love to read up some more on this. Did you hear by word of mouth or has there been some official email/document released??

I'd love to read up some more on this. Did you hear by word of mouth or has there been some official email/document released??

Current students were emailed. The dean just said he was excited and pleased for full accreditation.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone remember what they told us on interview day with regards to accepting AP credit for prereqs? I know they told us something about it but it was at the end of the day and I can't remember.

Congrats to those who got in off the WL.

I interviewed on 3/10, and have been on the WL since then. I hope to see you guys there in July.

If you follow ACOM on Instagram (the_acom), they posted a pic of the accreditation.

Reactions: 5 users
For scrubs, anyone know if there's a specific color we have to wear? Current OMS, any particular brand you really like for scrubs?

You can wear any color you want for OMS-1 and OMS-2. I can't speak for 3rd and 4th year though. It may vary depending on your core site.

My favorite scrubs are my grays anatomy scrubs! They are on the expensive side but so comfortable and so worth it.

Definitely get cheap scrubs for anatomy lab. Trust me, you'll never want to wear them again.

I was planning on waiting until June or July to post this question, as I did not want to insert a question about stuff related to the actual happenings of the school year until everyone heard back on their waitlist results and/or made their decisions as to where they are going... but alas, an impromptu Eurotrip has come up and I will be away for most of the summer and would really like to have this answered, if possible. Forgive me in advance...

I was wondering what exactly orientation is like and/or what it entails. They seem to vary greatly from school to school, and I'd just like to know what exactly we will be responsible for during the week of July 24 (correct?). Some schools are hardcore... they get all the students BLS/ACLS certified, kick of lecture season, familiarize everyone with the formatting of technology/classes/exams/so on and so forth, run mock anatomy/physiology/histology OPP sessions, etc. while for other schools orientation is basically a party week geared around getting to know your classmates/faculty. What is done during orientation week at ACOM and should I plan on doing/bringing anything besides the matriculation stuff (immun. records, med. equipment, etc.)?

Email from Mr Cobb went out just now about the accreditation if anyone is interested

Is anyone still looking for a roommate for Summerfield Square? I'd rather get that straightened out before they hand me someone I don't know

Is anyone still looking for a roommate for Summerfield Square? I'd rather get that straightened out before they hand me someone I don't know

I am. I submitted the application for summerfield a while ago but hasn't been actively looked for a roommate.

I was planning on waiting until June or July to post this question, as I did not want to insert a question about stuff related to the actual happenings of the school year until everyone heard back on their waitlist results and/or made their decisions as to where they are going... but alas, an impromptu Eurotrip has come up and I will be away for most of the summer and would really like to have this answered, if possible. Forgive me in advance...

I was wondering what exactly orientation is like and/or what it entails. They seem to vary greatly from school to school, and I'd just like to know what exactly we will be responsible for during the week of July 24 (correct?). Some schools are hardcore... they get all the students BLS/ACLS certified, kick of lecture season, familiarize everyone with the formatting of technology/classes/exams/so on and so forth, run mock anatomy/physiology/histology OPP sessions, etc. while for other schools orientation is basically a party week geared around getting to know your classmates/faculty. What is done during orientation week at ACOM and should I plan on doing/bringing anything besides the matriculation stuff (immun. records, med. equipment, etc.)?

From what I understand by reading an old newsletter, it's basically a week filled with presentations,getting us acclimated to the school, there's also activities like a scavenger hunt and a "practice day." This info could be completely outdated due to it being from a newsletter for the class of 2018

From what I understand by reading an old newsletter, it's basically a week filled with presentations,getting us acclimated to the school, there's also activities like a scavenger hunt and a "practice day." This info could be completely outdated due to it being from a newsletter for the class of 2018

Mr Willis said it will be pretty chill. Getting computers set up, going over values of the school. Stuff like that. I'll be finishing up a Summer online class during orientation, and he said there will be plenty of time for me to prep for that final exam.

Orientation is more of getting you familiar with ACOM, its policies, and its faculty. You learn how to use the technology as well as get your ID photo taken and white coat fitted. Nothing strenuous like BLS/ACLS or mock practicals until a lot later. Enjoy your free breakfast that week while you can.

I loved ACOM during my interview and I though the faculty was incredible. Im still waiting to hear from two more schools in my state. How fast dose housing fill up at summer field square?

I just gave up my spot at ACOM and my 1 bedroom at Summerfield Square. I hope both go to someone soon!

We got a school-wide email from our dean letting us know! I'm not sure where else you would get this information from at this time, since the information is so new, but I would think websites will be updated with it once we graduate our first class in Mid-May.

I just gave up my spot at ACOM and my 1 bedroom at Summerfield Square. I hope both go to someone soon!

I think I may have snagged your unit if you gave up a Poplar. I got an email saying it was now available and switched to that from the Espy around the same time you posted. If so, thanks for that :) best of luck wherever you're headed!!

random question, if I plan on living in summerfield for the first 2 years will I need a car? I wanted to go without a car since im coming from across the country and school will be a 2 min walk from the apartment... is it doable or will it be a huge pain? thank youuuu

random question, if I plan on living in summerfield for the first 2 years will I need a car? I wanted to go without a car since im coming from across the country and school will be a 2 min walk from the apartment... is it doable or will it be a huge pain? thank youuuu

You'll need a car if you want to get groceries, go shopping, etc. but I do know several students at Summerfield who don't have a car. They carpool with their roommate or friends, so if you make friends, you'll be good to go. Keep in mind that there will be a few class assignments that will be off campus within those first two years so plan accordingly.

You'll need a car if you want to get groceries, go shopping, etc. but I do know several students at Summerfield who don't have a car. They carpool with their roommate or friends, so if you make friends, you'll be good to go. Keep in mind that there will be a few class assignments that will be off campus within those first two years so plan accordingly.
okay sounds good thank you! yeah i'll only be grocery shopping and stuff every so often so i could tag along with someone... and class assignments off campus? like what?

okay sounds good thank you! yeah i'll only be grocery shopping and stuff every so often so i could tag along with someone... and class assignments off campus? like what?

During your first semester, you'll need to attend an inter-college collaboration event with the local health science community college program and during your second year you'll have two OMM clinic assignments as well as attending another collaboration event with the nursing school or a hospice event.

Just received a survey of which computer type we want to get. If I vote Dell but majority wants mac, will I be forced to use a Mac?

Just received a survey of which computer type we want to get. If I vote Dell but majority wants mac, will I be forced to use a Mac?

Nah, unless they recently changed the policy. Most of our class chose MacBooks and a few chose Dells. Prior to med school, I only used PCs so I was worry about learning the new operating system for Mac. I have no regrets in picking a MacBook Air. Battery life was so much better than my prior laptops. But also, I'm a simpleton and not a gamer, so I was fine with the OS.

Nah, unless they recently changed the policy. Most of our class chose MacBooks and a few chose Dells. Prior to med school, I only used PCs so I was worry about learning the new operating system for Mac. I have no regrets in picking a MacBook Air. Battery life was so much better than my prior laptops. But also, I'm a simpleton and not a gamer, so I was fine with the OS.

Stoked about the iPad. Always wanted one. What do you use it for?

Stoked about the iPad. Always wanted one. What do you use it for?

We use the iPad to take all our exams and quizzes. I occasionally use it to read book PDFs if I'm traveling. I've seen some of my classmates use theirs for board questions, like UWorld.

is anyone else having trouble with getting their drug test completed? I tried to do it this morning but the LabCorp location I went to turned me away because I didn't pay beforehand but there was no information anywhere that said I was supposed to pay for something first. Just that I should bring a form of payment to my appointment.

is anyone else having trouble with getting their drug test completed? I tried to do it this morning but the LabCorp location I went to turned me away because I didn't pay beforehand but there was no information anywhere that said I was supposed to pay for something first. Just that I should bring a form of payment to my appointment.

Did you bring the drug test form with your name and the account identification number on it? ACOM pays for it.

I think I may have snagged your unit if you gave up a Poplar. I got an email saying it was now available and switched to that from the Espy around the same time you posted. If so, thanks for that :) best of luck wherever you're headed!!

That's the one I gave up!! Enjoy it!! :)

What if I have my own laptop I want to use, can I just take the Mac and give it to my brother or something? Or are there pre-installed programs on the laptops for classes?