Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Couldn't help but notice that on Tuesday of orientation there was breakfast and then golf at Highland Oaks. Any idea if they plan on doing that again this year? I've played golf since I was 4 and seeing this on the orientation calendar just 100% reaffirmed my decision to attend ACOM. I love it already.

Oh I hope this is mini golf or I'm about to embarrass myself. Have never golfed in my life

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Couldn't help but notice that on Tuesday of orientation there was breakfast and then golf at Highland Oaks. Any idea if they plan on doing that again this year? I've played golf since I was 4 and seeing this on the orientation calendar just 100% reaffirmed my decision to attend ACOM. I love it already.
haha I noticed that too! I have a feeling its optional for students or for faculty only, though.

Most likely will happen again this year since they have been doing this for the last few years. It's not mini golf, and it's optional for students.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
there is a 4 person scramble golf tournament. usually faculty/staff paired with students. limited numbers of spots for the actual tournament so sign up early if you want to play. DOnt worry about ability though, it's a scramble which means you play from the best shot each time. It's actually lots of fun and the breakfast that morning is usually for everyone that wants to come eat even if you aren't playing in the tournament.

Reactions: 2 users
:( :( :( x 1000.

I really want into this school!!! And this golf talk is crushing me since I am an avid golfer and on the waitlist. Been bugging Bob Willis every other week or so. Just wondering what you all think I should do about living? Can I preemptively sign up for an apt. at Summerfield square? I'm decided on living there, but not certain on acceptance. What should I do?

there is a 4 person scramble golf tournament. usually faculty/staff paired with students. limited numbers of spots for the actual tournament so sign up early if you want to play. DOnt worry about ability though, it's a scramble which means you play from the best shot each time. It's actually lots of fun and the breakfast that morning is usually for everyone that wants to come eat even if you aren't playing in the tournament.

Do they send out an email for registration or is there somewhere on myACOM to register that I haven't seen?

Scramble goft? Sound very fun, now I'm even more excited for July. But I will enjoy my vacation before school start lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Do they send out an email for registration or is there somewhere on myACOM to register that I haven't seen?
you sign up when you get here for orientation.

:( :( :( x 1000.

I really want into this school!!! And this golf talk is crushing me since I am an avid golfer and on the waitlist. Been bugging Bob Willis every other week or so. Just wondering what you all think I should do about living? Can I preemptively sign up for an apt. at Summerfield square? I'm decided on living there, but not certain on acceptance. What should I do?

I'm all for future thinking, but I'd recommend you wait until you get an acceptance before signing up for anything. Hope you get a spot! Good luck!

To those current students living at Summerfield, do you ever feel like you are going crazy being on campus all day every day? Do you ever get annoyed seeing your classmates at home and school? Trying to decide where to live and I like the idea of walking to school but I'm worried about ACOM overload

Living on campus has so many more pros than cons. It really doesn't matter where you live though. School becomes your life. You live and breathe school. I just happen to enjoy not having to waste 30+ minutes a day commuting. I could spending that time exercising, eating, calling friends, spending time with my family, or *gasp* more studying! :)

Heads up to anyone who interviewed last Friday (like myself), I got the acceptance call on Tuesday afternoon! Very quick turn around, and very excited for ACOM!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt know that they were still interviewing in May at all, I thought April was the last month for interviews.

Yes it seems odd that they would still be interviewing especially with such an extensive wait list. I would think they would be busy reviewing for 17-18 cycle since it is now open. But CONGRATS to you and can't wait to meet you soon

giving up my seat for acom... :( this was a hard decision and it's such an amazing school, i hope my seat goes to one of you deserving waitlisters! good luck you guys!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! I had no idea they were still interviewing....I didn't see it on the schedule. Do you mind sharing how many other people were interviewing at the same time as you?

Nope, don't mind.
MCAT 500
cGPA 3.84
sGPA 3.92
Hispanic Male
22yo
Grew up in Panama City but live in South Florida

Just a heads up....I emailed Mr. Willis today and he told me that he expects most of the deposit drops to happen in the next three weeks. He also said that this waitlist is a little larger than usual due to the increase in applications from this cycle.

I got pulled off the waitlist today!!! Chins up!

Reactions: 10 users
I wonder if everyone interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted. Seems like there have been no rejections.

Just a heads up....I emailed Mr. Willis today and he told me that he expects most of the deposit drops to happen in the next three weeks. He also said that this waitlist is a little larger than usual due to the increase in applications from this cycle.

I wonder if everyone interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted. Seems like there have been no rejections.
On interview day they stated that you are either accepted or waitlisted. Baring any unprofessional conduct or just a completely God-awful interview, they hand down very few rejections to interviewed candidates.

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know. They didn't tell us that on my interview day. Considering there have been ~20 people/interview week and quite a lot of interview weeks (from September - May), that definitely means the waitlist is huge.

On interview day they stated that you are either accepted or waitlisted. Baring any unprofessional conduct or just a completely God-awful interview, they hand down very few rejections to interviewed candidates.

Just got an email about a missing transcript which said students with outstanding requirements would be automatically dropped on 6/15 so hold tight waitlisters. Movement will likely be coming

Just got an email about a missing transcript which said students with outstanding requirements would be automatically dropped on 6/15 so hold tight waitlisters. Movement will likely be coming

Good to hear. Mr. Willis told me via email that the most deposit drops would happen within the next 3 weeks or so (I talked to him last week)

Good to hear. Mr. Willis told me via email that the most deposit drops would happen within the next 3 weeks or so (I talked to him last week)
Yeah he told me the same thing Tuesday. Hopefully we will hear something soon. Good or bad, I just want to know.

Yeah he told me the same thing Tuesday. Hopefully we will hear something soon. Good or bad, I just want to know.
Yeah. He told me to keep checking in, so I guess I'll email him again next week. Once a week seems like too much. I don't want to come across as annoying

Got an email about my student loan award today. Looking at the massive amount of debt I'm about to wrack up just by signing my name is insanely scary. Guess I'd better get used to it eh

Reactions: 4 users
Buddy of mine just told me he got off the waitlist! It's moving!

Congrats! I had no idea they were still interviewing....I didn't see it on the schedule. Do you mind sharing how many other people were interviewing at the same time as you?

There was about 22 of us, and they told us we were the very last interview group and also that they weren't anticipating having that interview day but they did it at the last second. Pretty exciting / thankful since I was accepted 4 days after the interview and was beginning to plan my re-application process lol

I never got that email. Dose that mean they received my transcripts? On the portal checklist it says Transcripts- Completed and required Matriculation Forms- Completed. I think that is all that is required by June 15? Can you message me the email. It would be appreciated Im just paranoid at this point, I do not want to miss anything.

I never got that email. Dose that mean they received my transcripts? On the portal checklist it says Transcripts- Completed and required Matriculation Forms- Completed. I think that is all that is required by June 15? Can you message me the email. It would be appreciated Im just paranoid at this point, I do not want to miss anything.

You're good. I just have to wait for my degree to post from Spring showing I got my Bachelors. I went to a huge state school so the process is SLOW.

I don't have any information listed under the checklist tab, but my application status says that I am complete and that my deposit was submitted. I send transcripts and matriculation docs over some time ago. Hope this is sufficient.

I don't have any information listed under the checklist tab, but my application status says that I am complete and that my deposit was submitted. I send transcripts and matriculation docs over some time ago. Hope this is sufficient.

Click checklist and change the date to 3-6 months then resubmitted. It should be there and tell you if they received them or not

Could a current student comment on how long you spend in class each day and the frequency of tests. Weekly? Biweekly?

I swear "In The End by Linkin Park" keeps playing in my head about this waitlist stuff

Reactions: 4 users
Could a current student comment on how long you spend in class each day and the frequency of tests. Weekly? Biweekly?

The calendar shows tests Monday and Wednesday. Most weeks after the first month. Sometimes just one day out of the week. It looks like you spend most like 8-12 in lecture and then some evenings you have OPP or Anatomy lab

The calendar shows tests Monday and Wednesday. Most weeks after the first month. Sometimes just one day out of the week. It looks like you spend most like 8-12 in lecture and then some evenings you have OPP or Anatomy lab

Could you pm me the schedule please?

FYI, I emailed Mr. Willis yesterday and received the same email, word for word, as I did two weeks ago. I think it's safe to assume that he is being bombarded with waitlist emails and is just sending out generic messages at this point.

Everyone is just going to have to be patient.

FYI, I emailed Mr. Willis yesterday and received the same email, word for word, as I did two weeks ago. I think it's safe to assume that he is being bombarded with waitlist emails and is just sending out generic messages at this point.

Everyone is just going to have to be patient.
Lol Mr. Willis at least he replied tho lol. what is his job again?

Most of the movement is supposed to be done by the 2nd week of June. Does that count as this week or next week?