Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of the movement is supposed to be done by the 2nd week of June. Does that count as this week or next week?

Next week, but the way things have been going so far/the emails I've received from Mr. Willis, I wouldn't be surprised if the WL movement doesn't die down until mid-June.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who resides at Summerfield Square (and who uses the gym), comment on how busy the gym is?

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone who resides at Summerfield Square (and who uses the gym), comment on how busy the gym is?

It wasn't too busy when I was there but it's barely even a gym. I'm planning on going to the maxx fitness that's 12 min away.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just withdrew from ACOM. Definitely a hard decision, ACOM seems like a great school - I hope the spot goes to one of my fellow sdn'ers!

Reactions: 11 users
Incoming first year here. Any current students selling their diagnostic sets? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How often are you waitlisters contacting admissions/Mr. Willis? I'm contacting them about once every 2 weeks, but was curious if it was worth being a little more persistent than that? On the other hand, I do not want to come across as pushy or a pest.

How often are you waitlisters contacting admissions/Mr. Willis? I'm contacting them about once every 2 weeks, but was curious if it was worth being a little more persistent than that? On the other hand, I do not want to come across as pushy or a pest.
I called him once and emailed him once since 05/24. I'm just hoping he remembers my name lol

The semester ended and the admins have been running a curriculum summit to plan for the next few years. I know it's hard but be patient. I would expect the waitlist to move in the next few weeks but the classes are getting more and more competitive so i suspect there will be fewer pulled from waitlist this year.
good luck

The semester ended and the admins have been running a curriculum summit to plan for the next few years. I know it's hard but be patient. I would expect the waitlist to move in the next few weeks but the classes are getting more and more competitive so i suspect there will be fewer pulled from waitlist this year.
good luck

Good to know. I appreciate it. I didn't mean for my post to give off an inpatient vibe. I was just more curious about how other posters were approaching their waitlist situation. I know I've read that ACOM takes note of the frequency that you've contacted them.

I saw you mentioned he sent you a generic message. That might be a sign you are contacting too much. I have a couple of friends on the waitlist and both contact about once every few months via email and said they get specific replies each time, never anything generic or repeated. They also only contact if they have a meaningful update to their file like grades or publications. Idk I'm not on the waitlist so I can only imagine how frustrating it is but they were told to start planning to reapply or go to another school if they didn't hear by mid-June.

I only contact them when I have something significant to update them about, so roughly once every month.

I only contact them when I have something significant to update them about, so roughly once every month.
Yeah. I don't plan to for the rest of the month anyways.

His message said "Keep contacting me", so that's what I did.....lol

Yeah. I don't plan to for the rest of the month anyways.

His message said "Keep contacting me", so that's what I did.....lol

There's no harm in that, they at least know you are dedicated. :nod:

At this point, it's getting harder and harder to even find information to update them with. How many times can one send a letter saying that I am still shadowing a physician, volunteering at a hospital, and tutoring kids.

Random question for the ladies. Will high waisted gym shorts suffice in OMM lab? Also, what are the rules as far as nails go? Are nextgen/dip or gel nails allowed for the 1st and 2nd years?

Random question for the ladies. Will high waisted gym shorts suffice in OMM lab? Also, what are the rules as far as nails go? Are nextgen/dip or gel nails allowed for the 1st and 2nd years?
Gym shorts are totally okay in OPP lab. They don't have to be high waisted. Just make sure your midriff is covered.

As far as nails go I have relatively short nails and even I have been told to cut my nails on occasion. This is because OPP relies 100% on your palpatory skills and it is both uncomfortable for the patient as well as impeding your palpating to have long nails. Keep them short and keep the color conservative.

Gym shorts are totally okay in OPP lab. They don't have to be high waisted. Just make sure your midriff is covered.

As far as nails go I have relatively short nails and even I have been told to cut my nails on occasion. This is because OPP relies 100% on your palpatory skills and it is both uncomfortable for the patient as well as impeding your palpating to have long nails. Keep them short and keep the color conservative.

Thank you so much for the info! =]

I got off the waitlist yesterday! See you guys next month! So excited!!!!! I got waitlisted in December so I understand how stressful it is to wait. I hope you guys who are also on the waitlist get called soon! :)

Reactions: 10 users
OPP fellow here. Per Dr. Hayes scrub pants are also allowed. Keep your nails short. It can be very uncomfortable to have someone palpating and poking around on you when they have nails.

Reactions: 2 users
When is the White Coat Ceremony? I was reading it was Oct 9. Is there any reason why it is delayed most Medical Schools have them in the first month.

When is the White Coat Ceremony? I was reading it was Oct 9. Is there any reason why it is delayed most Medical Schools have them in the first month.

Where did you read that? I haven't found any info about our schedule for this year.

edit: NVM I see that on the 2016/17 school year calendar!

I think it was 10/9 for the class of 2020. It was in September for class of 2019 and 2018. This year's will be within the same timeframe. Some students drop out within the first week or month so they prefer to hold it a few months later. I know some meds school have their white coats at the end of first year or during second year.

I think it was 10/9 for the class of 2020. It was in September for class of 2019 and 2018. This year's will be within the same timeframe. Some students drop out within the first week or month so they prefer to hold it a few months later. I know some meds school have their white coats at the end of first year or during second year.
Thank you. Also how is Anatomy tested at ACOM. Some medical school have turned to all short answers questions instead of multiple choice. Is ACOM a mix of both?

Thank you. Also how is Anatomy tested at ACOM. Some medical school have turned to all short answers questions instead of multiple choice. Is ACOM a mix of both?

Both the anatomy lecture tests and practicals are multiple choice. All the ACOM tests are multiple choice tests so no need to worry about spelling!

When you realize orientation is 5 weeks from today and your pre-med struggle is over and a new struggle begins lol can't wait for this journey with you all

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of guests you can invite to the white coat ceremony? I kind of have a large family and they're all pretty excited that I'm going to medical school lol

Does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of guests you can invite to the white coat ceremony? I kind of have a large family and they're all pretty excited that I'm going to medical school lol
They only give you a certain number of invitations to hand out but you can invite as many people as you want.

Honestly, I am really glad the White Coat Ceremony was in October for us because that was the roughest month (in my opinion). A lot of were burnt out and having WCC to look forward to and keep you going is nice.

So I spoke to Mr. Willis today and he said that they're expecting to pull probably 5 more people off of the waitlist as per his discussion with Dr. Reynolds this morning however as of current there are no open seats available.. Just wanted to update the sdn fam

Reactions: 5 users
In a really weird twist of fate, I was accepted elsewhere and will be dropping here tomorrow. Whoever gets a call next week better send me some kind of gift. Never give up hope.

ACOM updated their website.
White Coat Ceremony on Sunday Sept 24th!

Looks like you ladies are going to have to wait a few more months for your white coat Insta posts & clever caption you've been saving up.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like you ladies are going to have to wait a few more months for your white coat Insta posts & clever caption you've been saving up.
I'm glad that ACOM did that late. By that time, we won't be anxious and will treat it like a celebration for acing our first series of medical school exams haha

You get your white coat within the first month, so everyone can jump on the white coat selfies then :p

Withdrew my acceptance:/ I have nothing but great things to say about ACOM. Hopefully a SDN member gets a call next week and takes my spot!

Reactions: 7 users
Any one else have trouble logging into myACOM on the website. For some reason my password no longer works

Wow... It's literally 3 weeks away before orientation... and I. am. absolutely. terrified.

I wanted to have solidified my sleeping habits, my gym schedule, my cooking/cleaning/etc. skills, and be relatively healthy before school started. I havn't, and I'm not...

Are my time management skills adequately tuned to be able to accommodate the new demands of med school? Are my study habits and attention span keen enough (after not being in school for nearly a year) to be able to absorb all this new information? Where did my confidence go?!

I don't want to be cracked on coffee, taking SSRI's/dextroamp, or losing days of sleep on a regular basis to keep up with my peers. I want my sanity ...but holding on to my sanity is making me go insane!

Please tell me I'm not the only one flipping my lid right meow

I'm the same as you lol. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Try to sleep early but can't get into the habbit.

Wow... It's literally 3 weeks away before orientation... and I. am. absolutely. terrified.

I wanted to have solidified my sleeping habits, my gym schedule, my cooking/cleaning/etc. skills, and be relatively healthy before school started. I havn't, and I'm not...

Are my time management skills adequately tuned to be able to accommodate the new demands of med school? Are my study habits and attention span keen enough (after not being in school for nearly a year) to be able to absorb all this new information? Where did my confidence go?!

I don't want to be cracked on coffee, taking SSRI's/dextroamp, or losing days of sleep on a regular basis to keep up with my peers. I want my sanity ...but holding on to my sanity is making me go insane!

As far as the sleeping goes, trust me, once you start getting up at 7AM every day to be at class at 8, you'll start being able to fall asleep earlier.

As for the gym, I started going to the gym during orientation last year to see if I could fit it into my schedule and most weeks during the year, I had no problem with it. There were some weeks, of course, when we were slammed with tests and I couldn't make it happen.

The food thing is what I struggled with the most. It's so much easier to order a pizza than to cook your own food, but you really can make it happen. I set aside an hour or so every day to cook and eat with my SO and it was refreshing to have that time away from studying.

It's normal to be nervous before starting medical school. There were a lot of people who took a few or even several years off before going back to school and they adjusted fine, myself included. For some, it may take a few weeks or a few months for this transition. You will figure it all out before the semester is over, but then you'll have to adjust it again for your spring semester when you start your organ systems block.

One big advice, don't compare yourself to others; otherwise, you're going to have an unhappy experience. Just focus on yourself and your goals.