alabama med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone who has interviewed at uab or south alabama received any word yet? i thought they were mailing out the first acceptances on nov. 1. is that right? also, i thought south said they would either put you on hold or accept you, but either way you receive a letter. is that correct?
just wanted to make sure my mail was working...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey kevo, when did you interview? I interviewed a few weeks ago, and they (UAB) said they would send out a bunch of acceptances probably around november 10, but he told us we probably wouldn't hear until sometime in december since there were people who had interviewed before us. Are you an alabama resident? Howd your interview go at UAB? Good luck with everything, and let me know if ya get any word from UAB any time soon.
Jordan

It's good to hear that others are as neurotic, um, I mean concerned as I am. Basically, I have no idea when this letter is going to come. It could be any day or a month from now. This stress is going to be the life of me. Good luck though, you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at USA, Mark Scott mentioned that he was going to be at a conference late October/early November. I think it's the AAMC conference. Anyways, so I'm thinking he'll send out whatever (letter from the dean to acceptees and postcards to everyone else) later this week or early next week.

Good luck! I'm going there on EDP and hope to see you guys next year. It's a great little school!

I have some latest news:

According to the Admissions Office at UAB, the committee has not sent out letters. They expect to start by Thanksgiving.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys, Clarify whether youre talking about UAB or USA?

hey nice to hear from some people from bama. i havent' heard from south, but i they did say they were gonna send out stuff this nov. 1 whether your'e rejected, on hold, or accepted. UAB I have no word from... I have everything complete, and still recieved anything concerning interview, but hopefully will sometime.

Hey guys/gals! Just got a call from the USA office. They want to interview me next week. If you have any advice, PLEASE send me a private message. Thanks and GOOD LUCK to everyone.

VERY EXCITED

Hey all:

Just interviewed at UAB Thursday (I LOVE IT) and I think they'll probably start sending out acceptances sometime toward the end of Nov. For my group, I think the earliest we could hear something would be Dec. from the way Dr. Smith described the process.

Good luck to all and maybe seeing you soon! :D

Oops, I was talking about USA. Also, everyone who visits UAB loves it there. I didn't apply there because I have kids and extended family who keep them, so I wanted to stay close to home (Pensacola). Happy for you Swampman! Just pay attention to the directions because you will be driving to each interview. Do not panic if you are late, they expect and understand that. It is pretty laid back here. Good luck!

i interviewed at south on october 4 and uab on october 11th (after rescheduling from october 5th). i am getting really tired of waiting here :)
my interview at uab went really well and i am an alabama resident.
swampman, i have heard some people say that south gives pressure interviews occasionally, although mine were all relaxed, so be ready for anything i guess.

congrats to everyone who has made it this far! let's all hope that we'll know where we'll spend this next major portion of our lives sometime soon :)

p.s.-- nice to see some folks from alabama. i didn't really expect any replies to this post.

Hey Kevo, I interviewed at South on the 4th too so I'm sure we saw each other. I did hear of a few pressure interviews, but didn't experience anything too out of the ordinary, except for one interviewer did ask me how my interview at UAB went and which school I liked better. Other than that, just relax for both of them.

Thanks for all the info! Are all of you who interviewed at USA Alabama residents?!? lamyers, you live in Pensacola...are you a FL resident? Now that i've been invited to interview, i'm wondering if I am on equal footing with Alabama residents.

I am a FL resident, BTW.

My family (husband and kids) and I live basically in P'cola,however I've lived separately over here during the week for over a year and claim residency. I knew I wanted to go here and not FL schools so I switched residency. Also, it wouldn't have mattered as bordering counties in bordering states are considered pretty equally at South (ex, Escambia county.) I don't know how they will treat Gainesville people, but it's not hard to get in at South. I honestly think you wouldn't be on equal grounds, but they might have some bias for FL people (good bias). Let us know how your interview goes!

Originally posted by lamyers:
•My family (husband and kids) and I live basically in P'cola,however I've lived separately over here during the week for over a year and claim residency. I knew I wanted to go here and not FL schools so I switched residency. Also, it wouldn't have mattered as bordering counties in bordering states are considered pretty equally at South (ex, Escambia county.) I don't know how they will treat Gainesville people, but it's not hard to get in at South. I honestly think you wouldn't be on equal grounds, but they might have some bias for FL people (good bias). Let us know how your interview goes!•

lamyers,

It is actually very difficult for people from UF to get into South Alabama. Of the 151 most recent applicants to the school, only 1 was accepted :eek: :( :eek: ! He/she matriculated there, so he/she must have left the school with a good impression.

I've heard that even those in bordering counties are considered out-of-staters in the admission process, but are charged in-state tuition after being accepted (at least bordering FL residents are). My family resides in Santa Rosa county, so maybe that was considered when they were deciding who to interview.

I will let you know how things go. I hope I don't get a stress interview!

Take it easy...