Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all,

so any of you folks getting ready for the MCAT even though you took your pre-reqs (what seems like) eons ago?

how are you studying? ofcourse review courses help but what is a good way in going about the massive amounts of information that needs to be refreshed/memorized? In short what is your strategy in tackling this MCAT beast the non-traditional way?

AvocadoLover

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2007
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi Pancakes! I feel your pain. I took my prereqs in 01-02. I'm not sure how far out you are but the material felt ancient to me. Since I live in the hills taking a prep course was not an option. I opted to use TBR and mainly follow SNDed's format. You can find it on the MCAT forum. I did use a little help from http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtext/virtualtextbook.html and even wikipedia when I felt the books were covering a concept too fast, or I wasn't quite getting it. Good luck!

fizzgig

LudicrousSpeed!
7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
within the labyrinth...
Status
Medical Student
wurd. every set of questions reminds me that these prereqs were YEARS ago. wow. i'm prob going to try to take in a few months so i'm not going as fast. i have EK and i'm going through each lecture and doing the little question sets after each (you know, to build humility). once i'm done i'm hoping that the second time i go through each i will get it better (i tend to 'get' things near the end of courses, hence the second go round).

then on to the 30min minitests in the back of the books, then full lengths and/or another set of studybooks if i still am awful at this... i really hope i improve because right now it is disturbing...

EnVinoVerdad

5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm testing on 6/17 after taking completing G-chem / physics in 2000 and O-chem in 2002.

I didn't start the relearning process till Jan 09 while working full-time. The only post-bac classes I have are Cell Bio / Genetics.

But in short I bought EK,TBR, TPR, and went to old textbooks to only find there is no off the shelf size fits all strategy.After taking a handful of practice tests, I found out that you need a strong foundation of ALL of the concepts to get 30+ and have adequate verbal comprehension.

If you are applying in June, then it doesn't leave you too much time to lay the foundation. I'm assuming your testing in May / June.

Buy all of the science TBR books and work all of the passages to find the weak areas. Drill and practice from that point forward.

I would suggest working verbal passages in this order TPR --> EK101 --> AAMC. My strategy was trial and error…..with lots of error. Once you know the material your strategy should be similar to a traditional student....practice.

Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Pancakes! I feel your pain. I took my prereqs in 01-02. I'm not sure how far out you are but the material felt ancient to me. Since I live in the hills taking a prep course was not an option. I opted to use TBR and mainly follow SNDed's format. You can find it on the MCAT forum. I did use a little help from http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtext/virtualtextbook.html and even wikipedia when I felt the books were covering a concept too fast, or I wasn't quite getting it. Good luck!
Thanks Avocado! That def helps...its just overwhelming given the amount of information. Good luck to you as well.

Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
wurd. every set of questions reminds me that these prereqs were YEARS ago. wow. i'm prob going to try to take in a few months so i'm not going as fast. i have EK and i'm going through each lecture and doing the little question sets after each (you know, to build humility). once i'm done i'm hoping that the second time i go through each i will get it better (i tend to 'get' things near the end of courses, hence the second go round).

then on to the 30min minitests in the back of the books, then full lengths and/or another set of studybooks if i still am awful at this... i really hope i improve because right now it is disturbing...
Ah! I can so relate to you fizz. I'm the same way in terms of getting an understanding towards the end of the course. The whole humility thing....lol lets just say we'll be uber humble by the end of this process.

Are you taking any full-length exams as of yet? I don't know if I should commit myself to taking practice exams first and go back to review what I don't know or do a great big content review. What're your thoughts?

Mar 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm testing on 6/17 after taking completing G-chem / physics in 2000 and O-chem in 2002.

I didn't start the relearning process till Jan 09 while working full-time. The only post-bac classes I have are Cell Bio / Genetics.

But in short I bought EK,TBR, TPR, and went to old textbooks to only find there is no off the shelf size fits all strategy.After taking a handful of practice tests, I found out that you need a strong foundation of ALL of the concepts to get 30+ and have adequate verbal comprehension.

If you are applying in June, then it doesn't leave you too much time to lay the foundation. I'm assuming your testing in May / June.

Buy all of the science TBR books and work all of the passages to find the weak areas. Drill and practice from that point forward.

I would suggest working verbal passages in this order TPR --> EK101 --> AAMC. My strategy was trial and error…..with lots of error. Once you know the material your strategy should be similar to a traditional student....practice.

Thanks for your feedback Envinoverdad! Props to you for starting your study schedule in jan 09!:thumbup: How many hours did you commit to studying (roughly) per day?

My main problem is orgo/physics. I took these courses a while ago. I was trying to decide what would be the best way to study: content review first, or go directly to practice exams & just go back and review what I don't know?

Oct 21, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Berkeley Review is a very good resource for thorough review of rusty material, IMO

fizzgig

LudicrousSpeed!
7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
within the labyrinth...
Status
Medical Student
Ah! I can so relate to you fizz. I'm the same way in terms of getting an understanding towards the end of the course. The whole humility thing....lol lets just say we'll be uber humble by the end of this process.

Are you taking any full-length exams as of yet? I don't know if I should commit myself to taking practice exams first and go back to review what I don't know or do a great big content review. What're your thoughts?
i haven't yet. the way my physics review is going, my plan is to do all the lectures with their little 8question bits interspersed, then once i'm done with a subject altogether i may run back through those same questions to make sure bells go off when i see the same buzzwords/tricks. then i'll do the 30min tests EK has at the ends of their books. i may try to do a full length after that bc EK specifically says their scoring is going to be tougher for their 30min minis, just to get a real ballpark score.

then if it's awful, back to EK and i'll prob order another set of books, likely TBR if i havent already ordered them by then.

rinse and repeat. i think more traditional students might not follow the idea of so much time in the lectures because people will say doing the problems is the toughest part/most important training. that's true, and as soon as i do some lecture stuff and go 'hey, i got this, i am so smrt, s-m-r-t...', it IS important to do some problems right after that, bc i may think i get the concept but miss 3/8 problems!

but that said, there are only so many full length tests and since it's been SO long since i've done this stuff, i think for me the extra time up front on conceptual jazz is worth it. we'll see how that pans out for me though :)

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
I decided to take a few classes are refreshers and sign up for the PR review course in my area. An expensive way to do it, but I'm hoping it proves effective. We shall see.

Hey all,

so any of you folks getting ready for the MCAT even though you took your pre-reqs (what seems like) eons ago?

how are you studying? ofcourse review courses help but what is a good way in going about the massive amounts of information that needs to be refreshed/memorized? In short what is your strategy in tackling this MCAT beast the non-traditional way?