Alaska

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

X

Does Alaska have a medical school??

X

Members don't see this ad.

you are really curious arent you ;) no they dont sorry

damn......i wouldn't mind going to an Alaskan medical school...they should have one...

X

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by X
damn......i wouldn't mind going to an Alaskan medical school...they should have one...

X

Yeah, that would be cool (literally).

Alaska doesn't have a medical school. Neither does Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. Instead, there is a reciprocal agreement with the U of Washington in Seattle. There are a number of seats set aside in each entering class at UW for students from these states. (For example, Alaska has 10 seats -- I am from Alaska although I'm going to medical school in Minnesota). The students pay in-state tuition at UW. They do the first year of medical school in their home state. They must do the second year in Seattle. The clerkships can be done at locations in all 5 states of the WWAMI region. Some of the states have a stipulation that require you to work in your home state for a number of years. In Alaska, the requirements is 5 years of work in Alaska post residency. If you fail to meet this requirement, you must pay a financial penalty.

doesn't hawaii have some contract with the med school- less states too?

I know Jefferson in philly gives X seats to delaware residents and the state of DE fronts part of the bill, and supposedly the acceptance rate is really high.

Originally posted by DW
doesn't hawaii have some contract with the med school- less states too?

Yeah, I wish Hawaii had a contract with Massachusetts...the truth is they don't really consider anyone from out-of-state who doesn't have a really good reason to apply to their med school (other than the obvious :)

just a note.. many schools have contracts with the state they are in to take a certain number of applicants from within the state or neighboring states, even if they are private. Tufts, for example, has an agreement with Massachusetts to take a certain % of the class from in-state since they receive funding from the state. Maryland also gives preference to DE residents as well as MD residents since Delaware does not have a med school. So it is definitely in your interest to check to see if certain schools will give you any kind of preference if you are a resident of a neighboring state.

BTW, forgive me for being immature, but men from Alaska are HOT!! No, not thinking of that stupid Bachlorettes Show, but just the people from Alaska that I know. And suprisingly, they know how to dance and tease women with partial stripteases (at least when they're drunk:D )

Originally posted by mpp
Alaska doesn't have a medical school. Neither does Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. Instead, there is a reciprocal agreement with the U of Washington in Seattle. There are a number of seats set aside in each entering class at UW for students from these states. (For example, Alaska has 10 seats -- I am from Alaska although I'm going to medical school in Minnesota). The students pay in-state tuition at UW. They do the first year of medical school in their home state. They must do the second year in Seattle. The clerkships can be done at locations in all 5 states of the WWAMI region. Some of the states have a stipulation that require you to work in your home state for a number of years. In Alaska, the requirements is 5 years of work in Alaska post residency. If you fail to meet this requirement, you must pay a financial penalty.

Actually, there are two programs: WWAMI, and WICHE.

you are right, I believe WICHE refers to Montana and Wyoming residents and they are required to fill out some kind of paperwork for funding at schools that participate in WICHE like Arizona (VERY limited # of spaces for MT and WY residents), North Dakota, and Nevada, and I think UC Davis (also very few spaces available through WICHE).

Oh, and the person I refered to as being an amateur dancer and male stripper is not only an Alaskan, but a med student.. {sigh..:D }