Albany Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I tryed to do a search but couldn't find any existing Albany 2011 threads so I thought ide start one!

Anyone else accepted and seriosly considering attending Albany next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy :) I was looking around for such a thread the other day, and I'm glad you started one!

I'm definitely interested in Albany and may very well see you there next year. Still anxiously awaiting the letter in the mail. I'm just in disbelief and need to see the words written down on paper.

Anyone else seriously considering Albany?

I'm not going to attend AMC, but I'm from Albany. If any of you all have any questions about the city/area itself let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Albany is a grrat place to live...pretty inexpensive, safe, and lots to do for a smallish-sized city. Great food, too!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
The students at my interview day emphasized how cheap the housing was. Around 400-500 a month, with utilities. One med student claimed you live like a king for cheap- the apartments in the area are spacious. They also mentioned that it's really easy to find housing close to campus, ie within a 5-10 minute walk to classes.

yeah during my interview day, i also heard how inexpensive housing is around campus and that you really dont need a car to get to class and move around the campus

Hello!
I tryed to do a search but couldn't find any existing Albany 2011 threads so I thought ide start one!

Anyone else accepted and seriosly considering attending Albany next year?
Congratulations on your acceptances, everyone.

If anyone has questions about classes, housing, the campus, and what all at AMC, feel free to PM me.

The students at my interview day emphasized how cheap the housing was. Around 400-500 a month, with utilities. One med student claimed you live like a king for cheap- the apartments in the area are spacious. They also mentioned that it's really easy to find housing close to campus, ie within a 5-10 minute walk to classes.

This is very true. My sister lives very close, in a 3 bedroom apt. and pays a total of $650 in rent (not just her share, but for the whole place), plus utilities, which in the winter can get pretty expensive.

The best time to start looking for housing in the area is in April/May when many students move out. Check out the Albany Times Union classifieds, as well as those in the Metroland weekly newspaper (free, somewhat liberal weekly that lists all the events and happenings in the area). Do be careful what you select, as the area where AMC is has a large student ghetto. Nice, big victorian houses carved up into many apartments with little tiny bedrooms. I once looked at a "5-bedroom" place which, when I actually went to see it, was more like 1 bedroom, and a bunch of closets which the landlord *called* bedrooms. Just be careful, and go look personally if you can. There are some absolutely gorgeous places within walking distance from the school that have a lot of individualism and charm. No need to live in a bland, boring apt. complex unless you like the cookie-cutter look!;)

Housing being $150-$200 less doesn't compensate for tuition that is outrageous from a school with serious problems. Invesigate this school thoroughly. Look at the AAMC graduation surveys. AMc is well below average in everything. Go here only if you have no other choice.

Housing being $150-$200 less doesn't compensate for tuition that is outrageous from a school with serious problems. Invesigate this school thoroughly. Look at the AAMC graduation surveys. AMc is well below average in everything. Go here only if you have no other choice.

Do you go to the school? The only reason i ask it it seems that the students ive talked to are actualy very happy despite what these stats may say!

ALso i am having a hard time accessing the graduation surverys.

Will u post a link? Sounds like youve already "investigated" so if ude like to share what youve uncovered it could save me some time!

ALso i am having a hard time accessing the graduation surverys.

Will u post a link? Sounds like youve already "investigated" so if ude like to share what youve uncovered it could save me some time!

http://www.aamc.org/data/gq/

The data speaks for itself. I have stated my opinion as a person that knows alot of people that are current students. I transferred out.

Could you please tell me more about your experience! Why did you transfer out? Why are the students you know unhappy with the school..so on..

It could be very valuable information for thoes lucky enough to be picking which school to attend

Members don't see this ad :)
this schoup guy seems like some random hater that every school has....

I sent my deposit in last week. Also, my interviewer sent me an e-mail of congratulations and encouraged me to attend the school. She just found out on Thursday that I was accepted, which is interesting because I thought the made the decision with the interviewer present. Anyway, I thought it was a nice touch and it made me feel really warm and happy about Albany again.

Nice! I didn't get a personalized e-mail...

I need to learn what my suit jacket size is though... its delayed me a couple days in sending in my deposit.

Are they looking for a number or a letter?

Anyone know? I don't wanna get one thats 10 times to big for me

yeah they want a suit size number, mine is a 40, which is probably a medium size....anything in the 30s is small, large sizes are like high 40's, and 50's is prob for big and tall

Hope you were able to figure out your suit size. But if it does end up being too big for you, you can use it to dress up as the world's tallest doctor a la Turk and JD on Scrubs.

My issue was with the phonetic pronunciation. Eventually I gave up and sent it in anyway.

Are we supposed to get some sort of notification that they received our responses? I'll probably send an email later in the week to verify that they got my deposit.

I figured it out! Everythings in the mail! Ill call them on thursday and tell them that its in the mail sence thats the 2 week mark from when they sent it! I don't know why I didn't mail it sooner.

Im about 90% certian that i will be attending albany next year, im starting to look at some appartments.

Any one out there who knows of someplace within walking distance to both the college, and the local bars?

yeah im also thinking about housing....def lookin for a roommate to live with too. I was told during my interview that most students live a 5-10 min walk from the school

Club and Bar scene is definitely a must also

Ok So Lets get the important stuff out of the way.

We need to start a band for the talent show.

I can do Rhythm Guitar/Vocals. So that means we just need a base player, lead guitar, drummer, a good singer, maybe some horns, and somone to dance around on stage.

Who's with me! All we need is 1 gold record and our medical education will be free!

Anybody happen to get any financial aid info from Albany, either through mail or email? Probably getting backed up with that.

If you go to http://www.amc.edu/academic/esup/eas , they updated the site with a student profile survey where you can state your housing intentions and they have listings of apartments and roommates (however it seems that this needs to be updated)....

Hey Disinence2, did you happen to write a post about finding housing close to campus on the Albany Medical College facebook group? I also added a post...

wow, this thread is dead...there has to be more than 2 people who are attending/considering AMC

I know! Its fairly depressing. It seems like everyone is holding onto a different school. Looks like this years albany class will be filled with poeple who wanted to be somewhere else...

i might as well join you in bumping up this thread

I would love to officially join this thread, but I have been placed in the "under consideration" category. I guess it isn't a waitlist, but I'm not sure. So, I'm stuck. Anybody have any suggestions?

i just got placed in the "under consideration" category as well. i don't think there is much we can do since they stress that your committee vote score does not change once it is made. anyone know how many seats have been filled already?

Anyone have anything that really stuck out about the AMC interview? I've looked on the interview feedback section, not much there, I'm headed back in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help.

Anyone have anything that really stuck out about the AMC interview? I've looked on the interview feedback section, not much there, I'm headed back in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help.

The questions brought me close to tears but I was very confident that I would get in at the end of the day. This is because of my interviewers were simply amazing. I was able to answer the questions to the best of my ability.
I got in but I am not going there - declined already

Greetings everybody,

Got my acceptance a couple weeks ago and just found out about this thread.

Amcd3 - to answer your question, I think Albany is big with Ethics. I got asked a few questions, so be prepared (Abortions, stem cells...). Nothing too challenging though, so don't freak out.

I'm not %100 yet about Albany yet, still waiting to hear from a couple Ivy Leaguers without rolling admissions (should know by end of March). But my MCAT is not really competitive for those places, so chances are I'm going to AMC next year (which is more then fine by me :) )

I'll be joining the Facebook group as well.

Disinence - I used to play lead guitar for a cover rock band, but that all stopped when the pre-med workload stared taking it's toll. But I'm sure I can dust off my amplifier should the need arise :)

Greetings everybody,

Disinence - I used to play lead guitar for a cover rock band, but that all stopped when the pre-med workload stared taking it's toll. But I'm sure I can dust off my amplifier should the need arise :)

Awsome.

Good luck with your other schools!

Anybody know if and when we have a second look weekened?

oh, and I just got my rejection letter from Harvard, one step closer to AMC, lol

No second look weekend? that's too bad.

Maybe I'll drive down there one weekend to see what the place looks like (I barely got to see the city when I was there). I'd like to check out the housing options around the school as well.

Yehosh, if you check the link on the application status log-in page, you can find some info about housing in the area. A lot of it is outdated, but it gives you some ideas as to where you might look.

Good luck this week as you're waiting to hear back from other places.

I'm finishing up my first year at AMC and loving it. Our match list for 2007 looks great - we have hopkins/yale anesthesiology, a radiation oncologist, derm at MCP, a ton of orthopedic surgery including one at duke, a few ENT too - one at CWRU, etc. The professors are amazing - give alot of personal attention if you want. People are friendly and cooperative in the class. The theme based curriculum is KEY. It helps alot when you can incorporate physiology, histology, biochemistry, and anatomy into one organ system. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hey drdoctor, do you know when Albany will be posting the match list on its website, or could you give us some more info about the list. I'm especially interested in the med-peds matches if you wouldn't mind listing those. Also, do students typically buy textbooks or stick to the syllabus or both. Is there anywhere we could see the details of the curriculum online, as far as what is covered in each theme and which texts are recommended. Thanks, and sorry for the lack of question marks, as I geniously spilled milk on my keyboard earlier.

Hmm not many med-peds this year, but here they are:

University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
St Vincents Hospital, New York, NY

To see the curriculum, you need to have a userid and password for AMC. Once you get that, you can check out academic.amc.edu.
The syllabus is REALLY nice for all the themes so far in my opinion. It really depends on the person for how much you want to use a textbook. For textbooks, most people buy them from upperclassmen. Unless you want a brand new book, there's no need to buy it online or from a bookstore.
The first theme is Medical cell biology and genetics - basic college stuff, then musculoskeletal, nervous system, cardiovascular, renal/respiratory, gastrointestinal, and endocrine/reproductive. You'll def. need a textbook for anatomy throughout the year (Netters and Moore's clinical anatomy). You can get Netters by signing up for AMSA. I personally just used Moore's and NEVER used Netters. The AMC anatomy website is amazing. It has case studies, radiology slides, anatomy quizes, online dissection videos and pictures fore every single theme.

You really start using textbooks for the Neuro theme - you'll be using a neuroanatomy book, a moores, blumenfield neuroanatomy (alot of physiology), the syllabus at the very least. Once you start school and settle in on a theme, you'll easily figure out how you study.

Thanks drdoctor. Does anyone know if accepted students can sign up for a userID and password to view the curriculum?